Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

who is your favourite artist.

• 14-08-2004 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Just wondering who is your favourite traditional artist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is very hard to pick one. There have been many great traditional Irish music artists. You have singers like Luke Kelly, musicians like Donal Lunny, bands like the Chieftains. You could go on. They are all great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Shane MacGowan wrote the best music, yeah gets my vote, with the pogues anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭*Sinéad*

you can't really answer that question as easily as you would "whose your favourite popstar?" because most trad is not so mainstream. their is so many great musicias out there who differ so much it's hard to compare. i find often the people musicians look up to are not only because of the music but also an emotional link, like the affect that player had on one because of a performance, ther personality or time spent learning in their presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Shane MacGowan wrote the best music, yeah gets my vote, with the pogues anyway

Probably have to agree with Bottle Of Smoke there. Their first record 'Red Roses' is savage. Cant believe it came out from London in 1984!

MacGowan wrote beautiful lyrics however a good few of his melodies were taken from old airs. Like white city is taken from the Curragh of Kildare, and Body of an American is very similar to Galway Bay.

Cant take anything away from the man though, his ability to knock out songs like browneyes with ease from a bedsit in london facinates me.

I dont like picking out one artist so, Planxty were mind blowing at times, Luke Kelly & the dubs, The Bothy Band(when im in the mood). i also love altan.

anyway, I think i'll put on that song 'fairmoye lasses and sporting paddy'.
    Barney MacKenna all the way today i think!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Eh you guys arent exactly hard core trad are ye?
    Ballads are included in trad but arent the first thing that springs to mind. I like Lunasa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Shanners (the)

Second what sinead said but Kila and Solais really stand out in my mind as being great trad musicians.

Have to hear Curradh of Kildare thing, Transmetropolitan is very Dublin in the Rare old Times too, making a point of it really though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

agree on Lunasa (merry sisters of fate) that latest release is ****e..probably one of the best contemp bands around at the moment. Stuff I'm listening to at the moment:
    Flook....FFn brilliant!
    Sean Tyrrell
    Bohinta
    Planxty live at vicar st 2004
    Michael McGoldrick (fused)
    and a 60's English psycadelic folk group who are back on scene :The Incredible string band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 astraphie

I think my fav trad musicians would have to be Martin Hayes and Eileen Ivers. They just class. Paddy Keenan isn't far behind though!! :p

guess thers a bit of "rock\metal" forum in all of us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Betsy

Ballads are included in trad but arent the first thing that springs to mind. I like Lunasa.

I agree with Necromancer. Lunasa are one of my favourite groups along with Dervish, Danu and The Bothy Band. Favourite artists would be Matt Molloy, Martin Hayes, Michael McGoldrick and many more.

I'm a flute player and just wondering if anyone else out there plays flute?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

dathi1 wrote:
    agree on Lunasa (merry sisters of fate) that latest release is ****e..probably one of the best contemp bands around at the moment. Stuff I'm listening to at the moment:
    Flook....FFn brilliant!
    Sean Tyrrell
    Bohinta
    Planxty live at vicar st 2004
    Michael McGoldrick (fused)
    and a 60's English psycadelic folk group who are back on scene :The Incredible string band

Bohinta ? Did some of the younger members of the Furey family play with them ? Are they still on the go? I have their first album somewhere they were/are excellent but I have not heard of them lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Shadowdancer

It is always very hard to nominate a favourite.How can you compare Paddy Keenan to Matt Molloy for instance.
    Amongst my most often played CD's would be Altan,Flook,Bothy Band,Frank Harte,Christy Moore,Mary Black,Dolores Keane.....

This list could go on all night. We are very lucky to have so much great music so easily available.
    One man deserving of much greater respect than the Irish Trad brigade give him is John Sheehan from the Dubliners,a superb whistle/fiddle player.

Let the Dance begin,
    S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

De Dannan is probably the best band that I have heard to be honest, I have the album Hibernian Rapsody here there are some very nice balads on that "The Garden Valley" and "The Water is Wild" plus there is a ceili version of bohemian Rapsody which brought a smile to my face.

Another favorite of mine is Gerry O Connor, How does he play that banjo of his so fast without starting a fire is beyond me. Went to see him in Dolans in Limerick a few years ago, excelent musician.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dónall

As already mentioned, Lúnasa are great. I find myself focusing alot on Kevin Crawford's flute playing, and he did a nice solo cd a couple of years ago.

Planxty at Vicar st...yes! Invigorating stuff!

Came across Cran by chance a while back, some nice stuff.

Joe Heaney is the king of Sean-Nós.... :cool:

I dislike Kila intensely mainly due to that guy's high-pitched voice. And I really wanted to like them, as innovators etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭SF1

wolfetones for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 SteveFE

Surprised nobody's mentioned Solas. They can play like feck but still know how to deliver a song simply and with feel. I think they also make much more sense of modernising the tradition than bands like Kila, who IMHO play the festival/world music/Afro-Irish crossover schtick far too much.

For older peeps, the early Steeleye Span get it (forget the All Around My Hat rubbish, just check out the first three albums when Martin Carthy and Ashley Hutchings were in control). The set of reels on Ten Man Mop still leaves most modern fiddlers and guitar accompanists for dust. They also had a way of making it sound like the Velvet Underground had just discovered a book of Child Ballads while they were tripping. Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Stocktons Wing would be the group that I first became interested in. Mike Hanrahan is still a good songwriter and an excellent guitar player. He's playing a lot with Ronnie Drew at the moment. They got together again for a charity gig in Ennis this time last year (minus drums and bass) and followed that with a gig in Vicar St. earlier this year. I couldn't get to either but heard they were excellent. AFAIK they have a few gigs planned for '05 as well.

Apart from S/Wing, I love a Scottish band called Wolfstone, enjoy Lunasa and am listening at the moment to Michael McGoldrick (Fused).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭annette curtain

Has to be Luke Kelly without a doubt, some of his recordings are unbelieveable, and have never heard anyone ANYONE match his version of a song for Ireland.
    On another note Christy Moore also has some fine recording especially Live at Vicer St gotta love Pair of brown eyes and continental celi
    Would have loved to see Planxty but alas couldnt get tickets !
    Seen the wolfetones live in concert and they're good had a fierce chat with Derek Warfield after the concert, hes good craice.
    also love Dearg Doom cant remember who by but its gr8 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Shadowdancer

.....also love Dearg Doom cant remember who by but its gr8 :cool:

That would be Horslips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭annette curtain

thanx have on the electric reels album, which is grest such an uplifting album and great to listen to if your in a bad mood! :D

~#~#~#~#~~#~#~#~#~

Marge: Homer, the plant called they say if you don't show up for work tomorrow then don't bother showing up for work monday!
    Homer: Woo Hoo four day weekend! :D

On another note Christy Moore also has some fine recording especially Live at Vicer St gotta love Pair of brown eyes and continental celi

if you think that's good listen to the original, its a pogues song, on the album "rum sodomy and the lash" *came 8th in the hotpress musicians choice list*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

My favourite would have to be Shane McGowan closely followed by Luke Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Dearg Doom by Horslips of couirse
    ,,,just wondering,,where do they fit in?..here or the rock forum seems they can have a leg in either!
    I think their the best rock/trad band ever different class, liked some of Christy Moores solo stuff voyage etc, the piper form planxty whats his name?.grrr oh well,,his solo album is just veryy good. Ahh good to see horslips back

ciao' amigos,,,Baggio

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tony99

Mary Black in her Trad days (Anachie Gordon, Loving Hannah), Sharon Shannon, De Danann, Planxty. We get some first rate stuff over here in DC when the paddies come over for the summer trad tour circuit.

Advertisement