Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a social insurance number (SIN)

• 19-03-2019 5:18pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a social insurance number (SIN) before arriving in Canada? I'm heading over in a few weeks on an IEC but am trying to sort out work before I get there.

It says to apply for one you need 'Work permit issued by IRCC or CIC' - does this specifically mean the work permit that I'll get at the airport when I land? I have the letter saying my application to work in Canada has been approved, but of course the permit isn't issued until I enter the country.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

You can't get it before you land and there's no need to sort it out before you get here. Just have all your documents ready if you want to be prepared.

- 2 year health insurance
    - Bank statement (no older than 1 week of arrival date I think) showing $2,500+ CAD equivalent.
    - POE Landing letter
    (all printed off / originals if you can)

If you're arriving in Toronto you can get your SIN number in the airport after you are issued your actual visa. They just need any address of hotel/airbnb to put on it. No need to update the address at all. My bank thinks I still live in a travel lodge :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

It's now mandatory to get your SIN at the airport. You might have to wait an hour or two when you first land. If you miss your connecting flight they will put you on another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It's now mandatory to get your SIN at the airport. You might have to wait an hour or two when you first land. If you miss your connecting flight they will put you on another.

The only airport with a Service Canada office to issue a SIN is in Toronto. There is no Service Canada in Vancouver or any other airport.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I am now living in Montreal but went through Toronto in transit when I arrived (in April) so that is where I did the immigration stuff. They did advise me that I could get my SIN at the airport but I decided to get my connecting flight instead, and just went to my nearest Service Canada when I'd settled in. It was really straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Scarinae wrote: »
    I am now living in Montreal but went through Toronto in transit when I arrived (in April) so that is where I did the immigration stuff. They did advise me that I could get my SIN at the airport but I decided to get my connecting flight instead, and just went to my nearest Service Canada when I'd settled in. It was really straightforward.

How is Montreal?

• Advertisement
Advertisement