Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheapest A380 Routes ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

On Qatar flights there's a rope blocking passengers from using the stairs. Guessing it's the same with other airlines?

Same on Emirates

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

180567 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for all the replies to my original question. In the end I went to Singapore with Lufthansa via Frankfurt, on their A380 (Lufthansa A320 & A321 on the shorter parts of the trip). The A380 was brilliant, and I was able to get seats in the small economy class section of the upper deck. (Boarding thru the main deck and then going up the spiral stairs at the back of the plane to the upper deck. This also had the advantage that I was able to disembark through the upper deck and had a walk through the business class cabin and even had a brief look into first class. The crew were very friendly and let me take a few pictures once everyone else was off.
    The service was brilliant, the take off roll from Frankfurt very excellent, and seemed to go on for ages. Very smooth flight, and the flight path went over eastern europe, Turkey and then on over India and Malaysia.
    On the way back the flight was at midnight so I had a great afternoon and evening exploring Changi airport which was excellent, and fascinating. Lots of Qantas and Singapore A380's and 777s to see. Some very nice outdoor viewing galleries airside.
    Frankfurt airport was also very interesting , the long haul flights from the Z gates. On the way back the Dublin flight was from the B gates which had some interesting airlines such as Oman Air.
    The seats on the A380 were very comfortable, the configuration in the economy class section of the upper deck is 2-4-2. (down on the main deck it was 3-4-3) There was a small box type compartment beside the window for storage, as the overhead bins looked to be smaller than the main deck ones. The window itself is interesting as it had about 10 inches of space between the outer and inner pane (probably because of the shape of the cabin). There was a small galley and crew area and restroom at the back of the upper deck economy section and a cart lift to bring stuff up and down from the main deck.
    The inflight entertainment system was grand, and included a live feed from cameras on the tail and facing downwards.
    I'd really recommend Lufthansa and their A380, and one big advantage of their system is you can check in online 23 hours before your first segment, and then also check in and select your seat for the 2nd segment at that time (so you can get the pick of the seats for the long haul flight before they are all filled up).
    The flight down was about 70% full and 100% full on the way back. Singapore airport was very easy and you do security at the gate rather than at a central security check. Passports took about 20 minutes, no visa requirements.
    I'll try and post some pictures later.

I flew a Lufthanss A380 from Frankfurt to San Francisco back in 2015. Beautiful aircraft, so quiet and smooth. An 11 hour flight but barely noticed it.

It's a pity no one is buying them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

I regularly fly A380 from Dubai to Riyadh, flight time of around 1 hour or so. Creates serious queuing at passport control in Riyadh with such a big influx at the same time...Comfortable flight though :-)

Flew on one for the first time recently Dubai to Athens, lovely aircraft, have wanted to fly on one for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Inquitus wrote: »
    Flew on one for the first time recently Dubai to Dublin, lovely aircraft, have wanted to fly on one for a long time.

I think its unlikely you flew that route on an A380. Afaik one has never landed in Dublin!

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I think its unlikely you flew that route on an A380. Afaik one has never landed in Dublin!

Too used to flying home, I went from Dubai to Athens on Emirates for work for a week, then had the comparative joy of Ryanair back from Athens to Dublin!

Dublin Dubai I fly alot, that's always a Boeing 777-300ER as we all know DUB can't take an A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

just seen this, don't know if it's the cheapest, but it's the shortest A380 Flight

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

skibum wrote: »
    just seen this, don't know if it's the cheapest, but it's the shortest A380 Flight

I've seen a few of Sam's videos. He's seemingly for hire - anyone can buy a good review. It's actually a bit cringeworthy.

Advertisement