Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PLEASE CONSIDER RENEWING YOUR PASSPORT BEFORE YOU GO IEC

• 14-04-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'd recommend that you go with 5 years left on your passport; at least 3 years for the IEC, as you may decide to stay and get PR, but the PR can take a year to come through.

I saw a lad who is there nearly a year, and trying to renew his passport now. Not something you want to be stressing about. Have seen people go over with 2 years (who had planned to come back after the IEC), and get very stressed over getting their passports renewed during their application for PR (quite a few Irish decide to stay after living in Toronto for a bit!).

If you do get it renewed, ask for the old one to be sent back, with the Canadian IEC being the reason. I went over with my old (old has it's corners clipped), and new passport, and I had no issues getting through immigration. I had it renewed after I had gotten my POE letter, but before I booked my flights over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'd recommend that you go with 5 years left on your passport; at least 3 years for the IEC, as you may decide to stay and get PR, but the PR can take a year to come through.

I saw a lad who is there nearly a year, and trying to renew his passport now. Not something you want to be stressing about. Have seen people go over with 2 years (who had planned to come back after the IEC), and get very stressed over getting their passports renewed during their application for PR (quite a few Irish decide to stay after living in Toronto for a bit!).

Where is the stress in getting a passport renewed? Since online renewal came in the process is relatively straightforward, though it can take about a month to get to Canada. Once you get your new passport, just use the webform to tell IRCC of the new number. The IEC permit or any bridging permit is still valid as they are not tied to passport numbers.

Advertisement