Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mocks 2013 **READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING**

• 03-01-2013 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion of the Mocks. Please restrict ALL discussion of the 2013 Mocks to this thread. Other threads may be deleted or closed.

Main Points:

Search the thread for your subject
    It is very obvious when you haven't put any effort into finding your subjects so requests will be deleted.
    To search the thread, click the "Search this Thread" tab at the top of the page, and enter your search term. It is more useful to enter your subject name ONLY in the search box. Because of the headings we've put on the posts, the first line of each of the search results should tell you if its HL/OL and DEB/Examcraft.

Do not post in this thread unless you have a spoiler regarding a paper, along with the level of that paper, the company that issued it and appropriate spoiler tags
    Use spoiler tags so that people who don't want to know what's on a given paper won't see. A spoiler looks like this:
    Your text here.
    To use spoiler tags, highlight the text you want to spoil, and click the spoiler.gif icon.

And some basic rules to ensure this thread runs as smoothly as possible:

NO POSTING OF MOCK PAPERS: Any posts of the actual papers will be deleted and the user posting them will be banned. This also applies to linking to scans of the papers.

DO NOT ASK FOR PMs: If you have something to share, share it with everyone.

The Mock exams are useful for evaluating your strengths and weaknesses, practising exam techniques and timing, and giving you an idea of the course material you still have to cover. By getting hints, you're really not fooling anyone but yourself. Ideally, we would encourage that you go into the exam blind, the same as the real thing. Its better to panic about it now when there are no real consequences, than in June.

However, you are all old enough to be responsible for your own actions, and at least in this thread if people are going to post or seek for hints, they are confined to one thread and others can avoid them. The system we have used here over the last number of years may not be perfect, but we have found it to be the best compromise. This thread is NOT to be used for arguing with those who choose to post or look for hints.

All standard boards.ie rules apply here: no flaming, trolling, personal abuse or spamming. Please remember that txtspeak is NOT welcome on Boards. Using large font / multi-coloured text is also both unwelcome and unnecessary.

If you have an issue with a moderation decision, please PM the Mod in question. Do not argue about Mod decisions on thread.

A bit of clarification on what does and doesn't need to be in spoiler tags:
    "English was terrible, I ran out of time. My comparative was so rushed." - This is fine. You're not giving away any information about the specific content of the paper. No spoilers needed, post away!
    "English was terrible, I had no idea what to say for Kingship in Macbeth." - This is not fine. Spoilers please.

This thread will be closed if people do not abide by these rules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Mark1724

Don't seem to have a thread yet so thought I would start one. Mocks beginning in the next few weeks, what is everyones thoughts on them? Are they more a hinderence then anything, or are they a welcomed wake up call? If anyone gets any tips from teachers on what is coming up, you can post them but *spoiler them*

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I think having xmas tests ruins you trying to prepare right for them. Trying to revise everything so far in a month is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

user.name wrote: »
    I think having xmas tests ruins you trying to prepare right for them. Trying to revise everything so far in a month is impossible
    Nothing is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Nothing is impossible.
    Yes but cramming everything in a short time is not good over a long period of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

user.name wrote: »
    Yes but cramming everything in a short time is not good over a long period of time

Cramming is vital. Sure a good general knowledge in a subject is great but for something like English, it's the stuff you look at the week before, and even the night before the exam that will be the freshest, and allow you the most fluency when writing. There is no science to that. To say leave it all till the last week is of course ridicolous but to say there is no point cramming is arguably more foolish. A month is ample time for the mocks should you study the paper structures tonight and then work towards satisfying the papers, not the textbooks or anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

I'll be avoiding this thread so I'll post what I know now, before I get tempted to look, later on. :p

Irish Aiste title hint
    My teacher said it will be something to do with Education, not sure how it's worded or anything, but its on Education. :)

Irish Prós:
    Cáca Milis

Spanish Opinion Q hint:
    She only told us about one of them, it is something to do with health and young people, not sure of the specifics yet, but most likely something to do with obesity/exercise/drugs/alcohol etc.

Bit annoyed my teachers told us, but sure what can ya do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Irish Examcraft:

My Irish teacher gave us two of the aiste titles so here you go: Really annoying though and he narrowed down the poems and stories!

Spoiler:
    "Ciniochas: Ta se le feiceail i ngach ait"
    "An coras oideachais in Eirinn. Coras iontach ata ann"

I think this is from the examcraft paper btw

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Just want to ask, has anyone started studying for them? I'm a terrible procrastinator.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

havnt started doing major study yet, i do after school study in which i do my hw and mayb 30 mins revision if im lucky. mocks in 3 weeks for me

havnt started doing major study yet, i do after school study in which i do my hw and mayb 30 mins revision if im lucky. mocks in 3 weeks for me

Ah, 3 weeks for me too. I really need to get my act together. I just about do homework, no after school study or any self study ie. not prescribed by teachers. Waaaaaaaaaaahh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,196 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Ah, 3 weeks for me too. I really need to get my act together. I just about do homework, no after school study or any self study ie. not prescribed by teachers. Waaaaaaaaaaahh. :(
    Well I'm on top of hw and do fine in class tests but just puttin it all together will b hard. Like if I've no hw left with an hour of after school study left I can't leave so il just study but when I get home not a bit gets done

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Honestly guys , i know i did it wrong when i was doing my leaving so i'm not the one to be advising anyone anything but i am repeating this year so i have experienced this last year. Please, do yourself a favour and don't look at any spoilers in here! last year i looked at the spoilers for the mocks and it got me nowhere, obviously. You have enough time , i promise you ,just focus on studying now instead of worrying about the mocks like i did last year , hopefully you can learn from my mistakes :)

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Honestly guys , i know i did it wrong when i was doing my leaving so i'm not the one to be advising anyone anything but i am repeating this year so i have experienced this last year. Please, do yourself a favour and don't look at any spoilers in here! last year i looked at the spoilers for the mocks and it got me nowhere, obviously. You have enough time , i promise you ,just focus on studying now instead of worrying about the mocks like i did last year , hopefully you can learn from my mistakes :)

I second this. Not a repeat or anything, but what's the point of paying >€100 for mocks, which are supposed to give you an idea of timing, formats etc etc, when you basically cheat? The mocks aren't the end of the world, and aren't what you'll get in June. Plenty of time between here and June to get stuff done, heads down! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I am seriously having to fight the temptation of looking at those spoilers already, but I think for June, I'll have to restrain myself.

I don't think I'll be posting too much in here just in case, good luck all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

just remember if someone posts what they have on their mocks it doesn't necessarily mean it will come up on yours because different school use different companies to supply their papers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please, there are at least two big mock companies.
    If you really want people to help you (or to help others) please state which company you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lisheen2308

Anyone know whats coming up in higher level physics for the mocks? thanks

I sat the higher level physics today
    Spoiler:
    simple harmonic motion, acceleration due to gravity, vaporisation of steam, resistivity, diodes and p and n type semiconductors, radioactive decay, few more

• Registered Users Posts: 9 RachelDJack

Out of interest actually when does everybody sit their mocks??
    I know mine start on the 28th Jan :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 lisheen2308

Mine are all this week not going too good atm project maths Craic is a pain!:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Mine are all this week not going too good atm project maths Craic is a pain!:confused::confused:
    What!! I thought ours were early! We start the 29th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Starting the 30th

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

after midterm for me, not sure wheather its good or bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 emc2010

Accounting HL:
    Suspense and Published

• Registered Users Posts: 12 emc2010

Anyone got any spoilers for English and Irish and perhaps the drawing in construction studies? :)

Dublin mock papers i think, not examcraft anyway
    English
    Bishop
    Irish
    Eisimirce, Mo Grasa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ash2012

Hey Guys. To tell the difference between the two papers is Deb have barcodes on the back and front and left hand side of the paper, Examcraft have them on the right handside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

I don't know what company my school are giving out but I need serious help with what's on the French paper! Anyone please?? :'(

French HL Examcraft:

I can't say for certain, but I THINK we're doing the Examcraft exam mock. Our teacher is really generous and told us that Q1 (90 words) is based on
    the importance of education
    , while
    drugs
    is one of the topics out of four for Q3 and Q4. The 'Le Journal Intime' question is
    an argument with parents i.e a negative response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Is anyone here as unlucky as me? We're doing our mocks next week -_-

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This thread is going to descend into a complete farce when the majority of schools are doing mocks if people do not state what company they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Rebel7

emc2010 wrote: »
    Accounting:
    Suspense and Published
    Anybody know whats coming up on section 3 (management section) of accounting? I think
    production budgeting
    is coming up but not sure!!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chikatita

i dont know what company our mocks ar from but in spanish our teacher told us there will be something
    on climate change/ the environment
    !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement