Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Thanks but did they say that if you did go down this route you'd have to leave or did they imply you could stay with them but not on contract?

Read the thread all these questions have been answered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

t|nt|n wrote: »
    So what exactly did you guys say when you called up ? Wanna get it straight before I do !
    I told them i get billed minutes outside of my contract evey month and this will increase the cost of them ,even though i don't reach the limit. Call save numbers get charged for, and while this would only cost me about 30cent extra a month it was more than i should have to pay, the lady said fine and me out of contract. i can see myself moving to Meteor very soon.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Shredneck wrote: »
    Read the thread all these questions have been answered

I can see you're one but I wanted to see if there were others that got the same result as you or did they have to leave. Thanks. Also did they move you to a different plan or are they leaving you onthe existing plan but not charging you the new prices or are you out of contract but still stuck on the new price plans. Sorry for all the questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

potsy11 wrote: »
    I am on O2 Release esge too. Interested to know if i can get out of contract.

i now have it in writing, that they will release me from contract after the 12th July without penalty!! but only after 12th July, I have to ring in and tell them what i want to do then.

happy days!

They may not be able to make you leave but they dont have to provide you with a service if you dont agree to T&C no?

All prepay and a massive portion of bill pay customers are not 'in contract' meaning their initial commitment period has expired. But these will by and large people stay on the network.
    Think of the revenue the networks are getting from these people even though there is nothing in writting 'keeping them'
    I would make no sense for a network to refuse you service just because you are out of contract.

If you decide to do this there is ZERO effect on your service. The ONLY benefit is you are not contracted to the network for the remainder of your original contract.

• Advertisement

All prepay and a massive portion of bill pay customers are not 'in contract' meaning their initial commitment period has expired. But these will by and large people stay on the network.
    Think of the revenue the networks are getting from these people even though there is nothing in writting 'keeping them'
    I would make no sense for a network to refuse you service just because you are out of contract.

If you decide to do this there is ZERO effect on your service. The ONLY benefit is you are not contracted to the network for the remainder of your original contract.
    Got you. I'm trying it now. Thanks again for letting me know

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Well I just rang for info, but yeah just ring and say as per the notice on your site about changign terms and conditions, can you check for me if my contract is one fo the ones affected.

They will go off and come abck and say yes it is.

Then you say so I am allowed to terminate my contract as the terms have changed and they say yes.

Then you decide if thats what you want to do

cheers and OP!!!

done

any bill pay customer can get out of contract! as they are changing costs to call 11811 for all bill pay customers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

I just rang them to try this and they said that becuase I have read the announcement on their website, that this is notice of the change, therefore I cannot get out of my contract. Shower of f*ckers!

Of course I was not in front of a computer screen to argue the T&C

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

And do you have to leave O2 altogether or can you stay with them but no longer on contract?

They told me my contract would end on 12th July and from then on I'd be on a month on month basis

• Advertisement

micks wrote: »
    They told me my contract would end on 12th July and from then on I'd be on a month on month basis

Cheers Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Are you guys ringing the 1909 number?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kiss1037

Just got a new phone on upgrade last month, can the make me fork out for this or can i argue that it is they who have changed the contract and therefore not my problem

HBK wrote: »
    I just rang them to try this and they said that becuase I have read the announcement on their website, that this is notice of the change, therefore I cannot get out of my contract. Shower of f*ckers!

Of course I was not in front of a computer screen to argue the T&C

No no that's balls. When you get to a computer read the article and call again.

The network can get away with just putting the announcement but it states on the article that you can get out of the contract with no penalty as long as you do it before 12th July.
    They basically give a months notice (online) and if you don't opt out of the contract in that period you will be deemed to have accepted the new terms and you will remain in contract.

No no that's balls. When you get to a cumputer read the article and call again.

The network can get away with just putting the announcement but it states on the article that you can get out of the contract with no penalty as long as you do it before 12th July.
    They basically give a months notice (online) and if you don't opt out of the contract in that period you will be deemed to have accepted the new terms and you will remain in contract.

I'd agree they're trying to fob you off. Go back and request it again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I just rang there and the woman said that I have to ring back on the 12th to get out of the contract? Are they just giving different answers to everyone or what?

Kiss1037 wrote: »
    Just got a new phone on upgrade last month, can the make me fork out for this or can i argue that it is they who have changed the contract and therefore not my problem

Precisely - they breached (or are intending to on 12th July) the contract that's why they are letting customers out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 thedarkegg

Does anyone know what implications does this have for phone upgrades. I'd like to upgrade to the iphone4. Currently I'm in contract until October. Can I get out of the contract and upgrade as as soon as the new iphone is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dicknorris

just pause here..........what would be the disadvantages of removing myself from a contract? would i not be entitled to an upgrade, say?

anybody think of any others?

I was told they had cancelled my contract as I requested, and I can go on paying monthly as usual on my present package, and would be due for an ungrade as usual (presume then I would have to enter into new contract or go to vodafone depending who I got the best deal from or I could go nowif I want)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

thedarkegg wrote: »
    Does anyone know what implications does this have for phone upgrades. I'd like to upgrade to the iphone4. Currently I'm in contract until October. Can I get out of the contract and upgrade as as soon as the new iphone is available?

I'm in pretty much the same position. I've asked for clarification from the mods on the o2 forum because I want it in writing and I'll post their response here as soon as I get it

• Advertisement

thedarkegg wrote: »

You getting out of contract doesn't change your upgrade eligibility at all. In fact you will have more negotiation power when it comes to upgrade time as you will not be contracted to the network. The old 'give me the upgrade or
    I'm gone' routine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

fobbed off aswell, was told once they announce it in the media thats it, and im not allowed leave contract

BOBBY wrote: »
    fobbed off aswell, was told once they announce it in the media thats it, and im not allowed leave contract

if have to do it before the 12th as after the 12th you will have been automatically deemed to have accepted the terms.

get it in writing, and also it took me 3 calls to get the answer i was after!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

don't allow yourself to be fobbed off! this is one of the best threads of the year so far - wish I was still with o2 so I could avail of this :D would have loved to stuff em!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Lads well done! No more contract! 5 min call.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

ingen wrote: »
    i now have it in writing, that they will release me from contract after the 12th July without penalty!! but only after 12th July, I have to ring in and tell them what i want to do then.

happy days!

Who did you call and what did you say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

From their notification ...
    Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2. The continued use of O2 services after the effective date of the change is deemed acceptance of the change.

Notification Date: *12 June 2010

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

1909 said I saw notice and was envoking my right to leave the contract. No problem and I'm dome July 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I would suggest that we all try to get our confirmation of contract release on writing. I've just listened to a friend's call to request to be released from her contract and to ask for an unlock - the guy said ok, both have been done now, without even asking for her IMEI no for the unlock! I think that she's just been fobbed off as well. If they confirm it verbally you have no proof that your contract has been voided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 thedarkegg

You getting out of contract doesn't change your upgrade eligibility at all. In fact you will have more negotiation power when it comes to upgrade time as you will not be contracted to the network. The old 'give me the upgrade or
    I'm gone' routine

Thanks. Rang them up and got out of my contract. Initially she said I wasn't able to change but I just quoted the website to her. Said that under regulation 17 I was entitled to change. She went off to check and came back on and said no problem.

Forgot to ask for confirmation in writing. Will ring back to ask for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement