Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Quick question guys, I was reading the 2009 buy laws and it says there is no kicking in the games in Ireland. Is this true? And if so why? I'd love to play american football but I'm 5-11 and 12stone 12 so not really built for it! But could be a kicker/punter.

There is kicking both Field Goals and Punting. The bit you read was under this heading:

SECTION 4 - DV-8 PLAYING & COMPETITION RULES

This is the 8 a side development league rules. This league is for new teams and has a smaller field and due to this has no FG or Punts.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

There is kicking both Field Goals and Punting. The bit you read was under this heading:

SECTION 4 - DV-8 PLAYING & COMPETITION RULES

This is the 8 a side development league rules. This league is for new teams and has a smaller field and due to this has no FG or Punts.

Cheers Tallaght

Do you reckon any team would be interested in a rookie kicker who plays goalkeeper in GAA so has a decent kick?

Cheers Tallaght

Do you reckon any team would be interested in a rookie kicker who plays goalkeeper in GAA so has a decent kick?

To be honest I couldn't tell you about other teams as I don't even know who their kickers or punters are. Personally on UCD both my kicker and Punter are players in other positions. 5-11 and 12 stone is not too small. One of my best DBs is 5-8 and roughly about 11 stone. He is also trying out for kicker. You should pop on down to whoever your local team are and give it a go. I am sure if they have the spot available for Punter or Kicker they will let you try out but I would encourage you to also keep an open mind about playing another position also. One is never too small to play football. :D

Edit: Just to add if you live near UCD come on down as I am still trying out for both Punter and Kicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

blu_sonic wrote: »
    The current status of our team in Carlow is Maybe, but more positive than negitave, currently we have some of the Edenderry lads helping out we've not regrouped from the Christmas break. We train Tuesdays and Thursday, the team is mostly comprised of students and former students however we are open to non students too. We are kitted and have a commited group of 12 and a participating group of 18-22 total. I hope this helps

What time are the training sessions? Do you cater for beginners?

So first games of the season were played yesterday. The results are below:
    UL Vikings 56 @ UCD 0
    Belfast Trojans 8 @ Carrickfergus Knights 14
    DCU Saints 15 @ TCD 28

Any reports from any of the matches?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Hammar

Lads
    big american football fan here, i was looking into starting playing the sport here. I have a few questions,if anyone would mind answering, Im based in Cavan, West Dublin Rhinos look to be the closest to me,(based in castleknock???? )
    Are there any teams,11 or 8 man based around the midlands?
    id eventually love to start a team in Cavan area,but id some experience playing first.
    Is it too late to join for this year even though the season has started?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kellco88

Hammar wrote: »
    Lads
    big american football fan here, i was looking into starting playing the sport here. I have a few questions,if anyone would mind answering, Im based in Cavan, West Dublin Rhinos look to be the closest to me,(based in castleknock???? )
    Are there any teams,11 or 8 man based around the midlands?
    id eventually love to start a team in Cavan area,but id some experience playing first.
    Is it too late to join for this year even though the season has started?
    If you go to www.iafs.co.uk there is a team in the midlands but not sure whether they will play this year. the rhinos website is www.rhinos.ie its never too late to start playing any team will accept new players

3 Games this weekend, all in Dublin

Dublin Rebels–West Dublin Rhinos

rebels-logo.png 0 - 0rhinos-logo.png

Sportslink, Old Airport Road, Dublin.
    Dublin Dragons–Craigavon Cowboys

dragons-logo.png 0 - 0cowboys-logo.png

ALSAA, Dublin Airport (Note Venue Change).
    University College Dublin–Cork Admirals

ucd-logo.png 0 - 0admirals-logo.png

UCD, Belfield, Dublin

Best of Luck to all teams. Come on the Rebels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

So, I'm heavily considering trying out for the DCU saints. I'm just curious, in the irish game do players play both ways and also, how different is it from the nfl/ncaa in regards to prefered height/weight for each position.

So, I'm heavily considering trying out for the DCU saints. I'm just curious, in the irish game do players play both ways and also, how different is it from the nfl/ncaa in regards to prefered height/weight for each position.

Well firstly nothing like the NFL because those guys are in a league of their own just like many Pro Sports. They build themselves specifically to be pros. Just like most players going from College to NFL will bulk up more.

As for being like NCAA there are quite a few guys in the IAFL who could play at a D1 level but to be honest there are no set requirements in this league. There are a lot of guys who join the sport and then end up eventually going to gyms and bulking up to make themselves better athletes but that is natural progression for some after taking up a sport.

As for ironman football some guys do some don't. Take my UCD guys we played our first two games with a squad of 23 7 of which were linemen. Linemen played both ways as did both my RB who are both LB.

Two of my best tacklers are small. DCU guys are a good bunch of guys drop on down to their practice and give it a go. Jdivision on here is one of their coaches give him a pm and ask him all the questions and he will gladly answer them for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Cheers buddy. And yeah I wasnt comparing us to their standard;). Was just thinking in the sense of what position/s I could play. Anyways cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Was at the Saints v Rebels game today.
    First ever IAFL game and I was really impressed.
    Great standard of play and action all-round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A_Border_Bandit

Is there much of a difference between the teams in the IAFL?

Standard of play etc.

I've only recently heard about this and it has attracted my attention big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Some teams are better than others historically, some are up and down, it varies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Antrim Hotels

I love watching the superbowl, would stay up every year to watch it when its on, bout a 3.30 bed time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 greg80

any tips for the college football betting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

greg80 wrote: »
    any tips for the college football betting

Try the main American Football forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I love watching the superbowl, would stay up every year to watch it when its on, bout a 3.30 bed time

I'm getting old now so the days of watching the Superbowl till 3:30 then getting up for school/college/work at 7:00 are gone and for the past couple of years I've had to take the Monday off work.

Some excellent games scheduled this weekend. Games that will make a difference towards playoff spots also.

Week 10
    May 23 Belfast Trojans thumb_trojans-logo.png @ thumb_admirals-logo.pngCork Admirals CIT Stadium, Cork, 2pm

May 23 West Dublin Rhinos thumb_rhinos-logo.png @ thumb_trinity-logo.png Trinity College TCD Sports Grounds, Santry 1pm

May 23 Dublin Rebels thumb_rebels-logo.png @ thumb_vikings-logo.png UL Vikings ST MUNCHIN'S College, Corbally, Limerick 2pm

If you like football get out and support your local team!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Harpy

Can't wait for the vikings rebels game, should be a great game.. Also as far as i know its on in munchins instead of out in ul..

• Advertisement

Harpy wrote: »
    Can't wait for the vikings rebels game, should be a great game.. Also as far as i know its on in munchins instead of out in ul..

Yup you would be right just noticed the IAFL website hasn't been updated.

Going to be a cracking game pity I'm reffing a game in Cork which also will be a cracker.

Good results for Cork and the Rhinos.

Teriffic result for the Rebels beating limerick on their home patch dispite the 1hr+ delay when one of the UL players got a suspected neck injury. There were reports of him being back at the Pitch at the end of the match, whether true or not I hope he is ok!

First time the rebels have gone behind in a match this year! Assuming the two make it through to the Shamrock Bowl again this year, it will be an incredable bowl game!!

Huge Match This Weekend in the IAFL South.

UL Vikings @ Cork Admirals in the CIT Stadium.

The winner of that game is going to win the IAFL south baring major upsets. Vikings face UCD in Limerick and the Admirals face the Dragons in Cork, both games the home side is expected to win. This game will pretty much decide who goes through into the Play off semifinals. The other team will have to do it the hard way (wildcard playoff round and then facing the number 1 seed in the semifinal).

Also for any of you guys based up north Carrickfergus Rugby Club is the place to be this weekend. 2 games will be played there beginning at 12pm. The Cowboys & the Trojans play in the first game followed by the Rhinos @ the Knights.

These two games also are very important in the Play Off race. A win for the Cowboys would put them in a strong position to take the a Wildcard spot, while a loss for the Trojans pretty much rules them out of the playoff's.

In the 2nd game the Rhinos will be looking to stretch their undefeated streak to 6 games following their week 2 loss to the Rebels. A win for the Rhinos pretty much guarantees them a Wildcard spot with an outside chance of winning the division, while a win for the Knights Wraps Up the Division and they go into a game against the Rebels with the Number 1 seed on the line in Week 14.

All in all an intriguing weekend in store in the IAFL, try and get out and watch some games!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

Jeff Reinebold, who is currently part of the Southern Methodist University Mustangs coaching squad, will be delivering coaching clinics to IAFL coaches and players between 19th and 21st July. Reinebold is well known to most sports fans as one of the pundits on Sky Sports coverage of the NFL. He won the World Bowl as Head Coach of the Amsterdam Admirals and has coached at University of Hawaii and in the Canadian Football League. He has also been the NFL’s Senior Manager of International Player Development.

The IAFCA will be arranging a clinic for its members. There will also be an on-field clinic open to all IAFL players. Both clinics will be held in Dublin – times/venues will be announced soon.

http://www.americanfootball.ie/jeff-reinebold-to-give-clinics-in-ireland/

Semi finals this weekend

(5) West Dublin Rhinos @ (1) Dublin Rebels

(3) Carrickfergus Knights @ (2) UL Vikings

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Vikings and Rebels are in the Shamrock Bowl final. The Vikings took a 20-0 win against the Knights and the Rebels took the Rhinos 65-0. Went along to the game in Limerick, solid efforts from both teams. Well deserved win for the Vikings, though the Knights deserved more than a no-score finish based on their performance - they were simply outclassed.

Onward to Tallaght Stadium on August 7 then, I'm hoping to make it up for the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Garco

Looking to join a team and learn how to play!!! Is there rookie leagues/teams around the country?? or just roll in with the big boys??

Garco wrote: »
    Looking to join a team and learn how to play!!! Is there rookie leagues/teams around the country?? or just roll in with the big boys??

Where do you live and how old are you? and there is a couple of development teams but if you join preseason with a team you will learn all the basics if the development teams are not near you.

Teams all over Ireland: League Website: www.americanfootball.ie

Senior League

Dublin Rebels - www.dublinrebels.com Play Santry, Train Booterstown
    DCU Saints - www.dcusaints.com Play/train Glasnevin I think
    Dublin rhinos - www.rhinos.ie play/train Castleknock
    UCD American Football - No website - Play Train UCD
    Dublin Dragons - www.dublindragons.com - play/train Lucan
    Trinity - Cant remember their website - Play train Santry
    CorK admirals - www.corkadmirals.net - play train UCC
    UL Vikings - www.eteamz.com/ulvikings - Play/Train University Limerick
    Craigavon Cowboys - www.craigavoncowboys.co.uk - Play Train Craigavon
    Belfast Trojans - www.belfasttrojans.com - Belfast
    Carrickfergus Knights - www.carrickfergusknights.com - Carrickfergus

Development Teams: (8 a side)
    Tullamore Pheonix - Search them on facebook and you will find them. Only team who took part in the development league this season gone.

League Unofficial Forum: www.iafs.co.uk

Season Starts in March/April.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

centurions1.jpg

The Clonmel Centurions a newly formed flag football team are looking for new players in the region.

We are based on the grounds of Tipperary Institute in Clonmel and play non-contact American Football. Ages range from 15 upwards. No experience is necessary and all are welcome.

If your interested or want to find out more PM me or email us at clonmelcenturions@gmail.com

Thanks

The Jock

• Advertisement

2 clonmel flag teams based in the same place?

Advertisement