Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snooker season 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If you look at past winners, you'll see thepchaiya there but otherwise not many you'd label quick exactly - mcgill, holt, georgieu etc. Robin Hull won it too i think, one of slowest around. Its counterintuitive but don't think it necessarily favours quick players. Still, not sure "fast" Eddie would have ever taken to the format!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

robinwing wrote: »
    any thought on the shoot out ?

I see Ronnie, Judd and Robertson have given it the swerve this year. I'll dip in and out of it as you'd get sick of the format over the course of the 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Genghis

robinwing wrote: »
    Was wondering will they add crowd " sound effects" like they did with the darts recently , would be bizarre

Yes, according to latest Dave Hendon podcast crowd noise recorded on previous years will be used. Not sure if the system is smart enough to play the theme to pink panther on each pink ;)

Will reserve judgement, presume it's the same idea as football crowd soundtrack, it might surprise.

Apparently the crowd noise will be low volume in arena, or sound louder on TV. Could actually be interesting to see if lack of a live, volatile crowd changes the quality of play (improves it).

The tournament really isa lottery scheme to parachute a lucky winner into a ranking position and/ or into invitational events. Nice to see one of the numptier players win it for sheer randomness.

Declan Lavery shows how not to play this event. Panicking with 15 seconds left on the clock and mucks up safety shot.

And Lavery wins it, was his opponent who got tangled up in the end. Good on him!

• Advertisement

Playing on a carpet of ice. Fastest table i think i've ever seen.

Ken played well there

Disaster. Feel sorry for her.

Aaron hill up next.

Game over. Really shocking miss on that blue you'd have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Mark Allen on his 4th cue this season. Bit of a different game these days alright.

Just made 142 biggest break seen in this event.

Wonder why Ronnie didn't play, seeing as he's there anyway as a pundit

Good day for the Irish players by and large

A lot of these players who have never won anything; or anything of note, seem to have got to the latter stages of the German Masters at one time or another. Think the 'Sheriff' even won it before..

Anyone tuned in for the final session of the shootout? Who do you fancy to win it?

Been enjoying this over the last few days on Eurosport. Ad free on the app is nice.
    Maybe it's the lack of boozy crowds in the background but the tone seems a touch higher this year. Though you can still get the odd arm full of tatoos, including one of the bleedin refs!

It's anyone's to win which is also refreshing. And a right few quid available this evening.

I'd go for whoever wins from Willo v Mark Allen part of the draw. Selby still in there too.

Been enjoying this over the last few days on Eurosport. Ad free on the app is nice.
    Maybe it's the lack of boozy crowds in the background but the tone seems a touch higher this year. Though you can still get the odd arm full of tatoos, including one of the bleedin refs!

It's anyone's to win which is also refreshing. And a right few quid available this evening.

I'd go for whoever wins from Willo v Mark Allen part of the draw. Selby still in there too.

Yeah Williams favourite for me

When i saw how fast the tables were playing on Thursday, i did think immediately of allen, for all it's a total lottery. No one loves a fast table more than the pistol. Love to see rob milkins win it, though.

Rob blew it there big time.

Rob blew it there big time.

Yeah, too much pressure on that pink he missed

• Advertisement

eric hoone wrote: »
    Yeah, too much pressure on that pink he missed

Didnt need to play it, think he knew it as well but hadnt time to change his shot.

O'Donnell had ball in hand there and made 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's great fun, though kinda glad I skipped the first 2 days bar a few frames.
    Happy to see Williams querying the payouts, it really is ridiculously top heavy.
    Could easily take £10K off the £50K and distribute it lower down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

O'Donnell had ball in hand there and made 8!

Seen that quite a few times over the years.
    I think many make a mistake on the placing of the white for the first shot - they leave themselves a straight red forgetting the game is about angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Delighted for Ryan Day can't believe he is down at 50 in the rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

The ever salty in defeat Selby in attendance.

If the prize is top heavy, which it is, then it doesn't really matter too much if it's a ranking event, nobody is getting a major advantage out of it, bar the winner and it's a bit much to begrudge one of those guys their 50 grand payday. I think it achieves a fair balance overall. I've become a fan of it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mrunsure

eric hoone wrote: »
    Wonder why Ronnie didn't play, seeing as he's there anyway as a pundit

He was live on BBC One on Saturday morning, talking about cooking with his partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mrunsure

The Championship League resumes today. Trump, Williams, Selby, Lisowski, Ford, Hawkins and Wilson in action today and tomorrow. On Free Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Have this on in the background, it's really noticeable that it isn't a tv broadcast, just an internet stream. Lagging and jerking like a bad dodgy box. Borderline unwatchable.

Advertisement