Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Hazel off sick, no crowds after today and no score graphic on the tv. The world is gone snooker loopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

You can think what you like about Anthony Hamilton but personally i find it a bit off for the figurehead of a sport to speak about a player like that. "See ya son." Just a lack of class imo.

And when i heard hearn talk about Hamilton depriving players of an opportunity yesterday, i really wanted someone to ask him how many players had been deprived of opportunities on tour because he'd handed out wild cards to his mates. Not even defending Hamilton, just find some of the criticism of him a touch hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Hearn not hiding his disdain for Hamiltons withdrawal saying' well done anthony, nice one, see you later son' in a rather cutting manner'.
    You can think what you like about Anthony Hamilton but personally i find it a bit off for the figurehead of a sport to speak about a player like that. "See ya son." Just a lack of class imo.

Agree with Joe on this, think Hearn came across as a bit of a tosser over it. He's head of snooker, he needs to have a bit of class about him and not react in that matter

And when i heard hearn talk about Hamilton depriving players of an opportunity yesterday, i really wanted someone to ask him how many players had been deprived of opportunities on tour because he'd handed out wild cards to his mates. Not even defending Hamilton, just find some of the criticism of him a touch hypocritical.

Parrot said earlier he'd talked to a few players and pundits and most think Hamilton just being selfish. Judd came out and said the same. So it's by no means just Barry Hearn. I know he's the boss but he didn't get where he is today by skirting around questions and not speaking his mind. You might not agree with him but i think he's a straight talker and talks a lot of sense and he couldn't hide his anger at Hamilton.

Parrot said earlier he'd talked to a few players and pundits and most think Hamilton just being selfish. Judd came out and said the same. So it's by no means just Barry Hearn. I know he's the boss but he didn't get where he is today by skirting around questions and not speaking his mind. You might not agree with him but i think he's a straight talker and talks a lot of sense and he couldn't hide his anger at Hamilton.

I know that. Never said it was just Barry Hearn. Lot of opposition to Anthony Hamilton and lot of support too. I saw Sam Craigie saying he'd no hard feelings at all. I think you can be a straight talker and talk sense without coming across as boorish and vindictive as he sounded to me. But thats just me maybe. I'm not Hearns biggest fan so maybe I'll find fault easier. Others maybe approve of that no nonsense approach and maybe Jimmy getting another card for old times sake.

• Advertisement

I know that. Never said it was just Barry Hearn. Lot of opposition to Anthony Hamilton and lot of support too. I saw Sam Craigie saying he'd no hard feelings at all. I think you can be a straight talker and talk sense without coming across as boorish and vindictive as he sounded to me. But thats just me maybe. I'm not Hearns biggest fan so maybe I'll find fault easier. Others maybe approve of that no nonsense approach and maybe Jimmy getting another card for old times sake.

Dont think many agree with giving Jimmy or anyone else a wild card. Not me anyway.

King fighting hard here. This is what happens when Ding lets a 3-0 lead slip. It gives hope to King who now looks to be really up for it. Ding needs to sharpen up and liven up because hes in a dog fight if he doesn't.

Dont think many agree with giving Jimmy or anyone else a wild card. Not me anyway.

It's just he's hypocritical imo. Cos he bangs on about players getting nothing for nothing, having to earn their keep and then goes and gives Jimmy the hand out because he can. That applies here too afaic. In fact, i think what Hamilton did here, if questionable at all, is probably nothing compared to the ducking and diving Barry was doing back in the day. Hamilton had an opportunity to earn some money and points and took it, thats pretty much the Hearn philosophy of life from what i can tell. Deep down he should be applauding it if anything!

It's just he's hypocritical imo. Cos he bangs on about players getting nothing for nothing, having to earn their keep and then goes and gives Jimmy the hand out because he can. That applies here too afaic. In fact, i think what Hamilton did here, if questionable at all, is probably nothing compared to the ducking and diving Barry was doing back in the day. Hamilton had an opportunity to earn some money and points and took it, thats pretty much the Hearn philosophy of life from what i can tell. Deep down he should be applauding it if anything!

Perhaps looking back on it he may feel he should have replied to the question on Hamiltons withdrawal with ' i hope Anthony is well, enjoying his coco and watching the action in his pyjamas while lying on his sofa and please god we'll all meet up again soon'.

Its a funny game. Remember thinking first couple of frames of the Ken match that King looked all over the place and was there for the taking. Now looks to ne growing in confidence by the frame. Could be danger for ding alright.

• Advertisement

Ding's swerving game is awful.

King well deserves to be level. And looks like he fancies the job. Ding looking a little disinterested with some bizarre choice of shots.

I dont know will we see worse decision all tournament than kings not to have those balls replaced there. Or worse shots than dings utterly horrendous next effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Funny part is Boris Johnston's U-turn has made Hamilton both in the right (it was too dangerous yet according to Boris), yet wrong (other players went and he did not). Really odd situation.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

So just as King has restored parity and has Ding under a bit of pressure he opens up frame 9 with a shocking blunder that leaves the table at Ding's mercy. And Dind did the business. Not a bad match. Look forward to it resuming tomorrow.

Think King is happy enough with that all told. Could have been worse given ding missed two frame balls.

Looks like the BBC red button isn’t showing the snooker this evening. I was hoping it would have the Williams match as Eurosport have the Trump match

Trump had 4 chances to put that frame to bed. Gotta be huge boost for ford. He was looking nervous as hell on the restart.

Best line of the Championship already by Steve Davis

"You are allowed to go to the toilet after a big clearance"

If Ford loses tonight, he’ll have nobody but himself to blame. He’s had plenty of chances to be further ahead, both this morning and this evening

• Advertisement

Ford just looks like a guy who doesnt enjoy this kind of thing at all. Being virtually handed the keys to an upset here but his wobbly fingers can't steady the key in the lock.

That's two or three times now that Fordy has missed a sitter and let Trump in to eventually leaving him needing two or three snookers and he comes back to the table. For some players you may give them an outside chance of getting those snookers. I dont feel that with Fordy. He messed up badly when he had great chances and then he's playing for three snookers? Why bother. Frames over. Don't waste any more of your time and energy on it. He really doesn't inspire any confidence.

Stats for Trump v Ford up (mid session int)
    Ford beats Trump on:

total points F 675 -635
    balls potted F 195 -186
    pot success F 89% -88%
    high break F 140 -104

Everything except safety - Trump 85% -80%

Stats for Trump v Ford up (mid session int)
    Ford beats Trump on:

total points F 675 -635
    balls potted F 195 -186
    pot success F 89% -88%
    high break F 140 -104

Everything except safety - Trump 85% -80%

The scoreboard is the crucial one.

Trump not messing around looking for three snookers. All square in an entertaing match. Come on Judd!

Being hard on Ford but way judd is playing nothing could be ruled out here. Hate to have my life depending on Ford but he could fall over the line yet.

Being hard on Ford but way judd is playing nothing could be ruled out here. Hate to have my life depending on Ford but he could fall over the line yet.

Ford is a really odd sort of a player. I don't know what to make of him. One minute looks like a world beater. Next minute he just loses the head.

Willams v McManus is 3-3

Naughty Snooker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

zuutroy wrote: »
    Saw during the week that he was 11/1 to have 100 centuries this year and thought it was a great bet.

Good call me on August 9th last year!

Advertisement