Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Regular Season Thread

• 23-07-2020 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

A few months later than we all hoped but the regular season kicks off in Washington tonight (weather permitting) so here's a thread for all things MLB for the next 60 games. Enjoy the season.

Comments

Much like Liverpool, whoever wins this season, will get a nice * beside their name
    But I'd rather that, than no title.

Lets go Dodgers

Dont think I'll bother with mlb.tv this season. All/majority of the Dodgers games are going to be in the Pacific Time zone, so can't see myself getting to see (m)any. Will pony up for the postseason, and watch whatever BT show during the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

bazwraf wrote: »
    Much like Liverpool, whoever wins this season, will get a nice * beside their name
    But I'd rather that, than no title.

Lets go Dodgers

Dont think I'll bother with mlb.tv this season. All/majority of the Dodgers games are going to be in the Pacific Time zone, so can't see myself getting to see (m)any. Will pony up for the postseason, and watch whatever BT show during the season

I thought that Liverpool asterisk talk died when they won on the pitch playing a full quota of games? Unless some think it's tainted because they were allowed 5 subs and water breaks for the last 9 games when they had a 22 point lead. But that's major clutching of straws and I don't think even a hardcore Man Utd fan would fight that battle with a straight face. But that's for a different thread and I'm sure it's been argued to death over on the Soccer forum.

For baseball, 60 games doesn't have the feel of a real season alright so the title will be tainted a bit (unless the Mets win it and then it will be the greatest achievement in sports history :p). I just hope they get through the 60 games and the playoffs without any further disruptions or reductions in games. How about finding Toronto a home too!

I've got BT Sports again this year so there'll be a fair amount of games shown there so I'm passing on MLB.TV too this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I thought that Liverpool asterisk talk died when they won on the pitch playing a full quota of games? Unless some think it's tainted because they were allowed 5 subs and water breaks for the last 9 games when they had a 22 point lead. But that's major clutching of straws and I don't think even a hardcore Man Utd fan would fight that battle with a straight face. But that's for a different thread and I'm sure it's been argued to death over on the Soccer forum.

For baseball, 60 games doesn't have the feel of a real season alright so the title will be tainted a bit (unless the Mets win it and then it will be the greatest achievement in sports history :p). I just hope they get through the 60 games and the playoffs without any further disruptions or reductions in games. How about finding Toronto a home too!

I've got BT Sports again this year so there'll be a fair amount of games shown there so I'm passing on MLB.TV too this year.

I have both. I find BT Sports pretty good. But they do seem to go through days where they show no games. Not even late ones. With MLB TV at least I get to watch any Mets game that's on at a reasonable hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Juan Soto tested positive for COVID-19 so won't play today.

Juan Soto tested positive for COVID-19 so won't play today.

Probably going to see lots of this once the games start.

• Advertisement

I see that stupid playoff ideas where 16 teams gets in and the division winners pick their opponents has been approved for this year. Ridiculous idea. I can reluctantly put up with putting a man on 2nd in the 10th but this is just stupid. Sure why not let every team in?

Players getting $50m extra for agreeing to it.

I see that stupid playoff ideas where 16 teams gets in and the division winners pick their opponents has been approved for this year. Ridiculous idea. I can reluctantly put up with putting a man on 2nd in the 10th but this is just stupid. Sure why not let every team in?

Players getting $50m extra for agreeing to it.

I don't see any mention of division winners picking their opponents. Would assume it's 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc...

In other news, Kershaw is on the IL with back stiffness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Yea, I signed up for BT Sports for the football once it came back so will do the same for MLB this year. Looks like they have a fairly full slate for the opening weekend to start :)

Just watching the first inning of the opener here. Sounds like they have the regular stadium PA, music between outs etc but no fake crowd noise...yet!

I don't see any mention of division winners picking their opponents. Would assume it's 1 v 8, 2 v 7 etc...

Yeah, you're right. Buster Olney was reporting it but he seems to have jumped the gun a bit.

I still don't agree with 16 teams in the playoffs, no matter what way they do it.

Yeah, you're right. Buster Olney was reporting it but he seems to have jumped the gun a bit.

I still don't agree with 16 teams in the playoffs, no matter what way they do it.

I feel like this will become permanent. It'll mean more TV money (playoff games are always worth more), more national press coverage and less meaningless August/September games. Probably the only sticking point would be revenue sharing.

Don't forget, the world series was best team in AL vs NL for a long time, the ALCS/NLCS only started in 1969, the ALDS/NLDS only started in 1994 so evolution is natural. Of course there is an argument that it dilutes the playoffs a bit but I don't buy that.

• Advertisement

Blue Jays are going to play in Buffalo, after Pittsburgh and Baltimore didn't work out.

Cespedes is back! Will be interesting to see who the Mets go to in the 9th.

Cespedes is back! Will be interesting to see who the Mets go to in the 9th.

Let’s get through the 8th first..!!

Let’s get through the 8th first..!!

Fair point :)

The home run hits sound better in empty stadiums.

Looks like Diaz warming up. Will we get Mariners Díaz or Mets Díaz?

Looks like Diaz warming up. Will we get Mariners Díaz or Mets Díaz?

Both versions in the end. Some hard contact but also good strikeout pitches.

He was a bit wild during the Freeman at-bat but he gets it done.

Nice concise game. I much prefer pitchers duels to run fests.

Watching the Cubs v Brewers. Looks like Fox are CGIng the crowd in. Especially when there is a home run. All a bit cringy

Strasburg scratched from tonight's start. Hand injury, not Covid related.

ShyMets wrote: »
    Watching the Cubs v Brewers. Looks like Fox are CGIng the crowd in. Especially when there is a home run. All a bit cringy

yeah, they explained it earlier on in the broadcast "Just a bit of fun, don't be complaining about it" or something to that effect was said.

Fair play to the crowd on the rooftops. Probably the only spectators in the country.

• Advertisement

yeah, they explained it earlier on in the broadcast "Just a bit of fun, don't be complaining about it" or something to that effect was said.

Fair play to the crowd on the rooftops. Probably the only spectators in the country.

Ah, explains it. I missed the first couple of innings.

How are they getting away with the guys on the rooftops

Ah, explains it. I missed the first couple of innings.

How are they getting away with the guys on the rooftops

They mentioned that too!!

Apparently they got some dispensation from the city authorities as long as there's social distancing.

I thought I'd hate it but I'm actually liking this 3 batter minimum rule. OK, 2 days so only a small sample but it seems to really make the managers think before they bring in a pitcher and look ahead as opposed to just the next batter.

And 2019 Diaz is back....

And there I was all set to go to bed

And there I was all set to go to bed

Yeah, me too. Now I'm in the 'will I open another beer?' dilemma stage.

I thought I'd hate it but I'm actually liking this 3 batter minimum rule. OK, 2 days so only a small sample but it seems to really make the managers think before they bring in a pitcher and look ahead as opposed to just the next batter.

...but I still hate this runner on 2nd in extra innings rule.

Edit - And not just because the Mets are making a balls of it. That post was typed before this inning started.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Anyone watching the Yankees/Nets and not getting any of the replays being shown? Watching the fox feed via MLB TV, they are talkin about them but only seeing the first and last frames, if even.

Yeah, me too. Now I'm in the 'will I open another beer?' dilemma stage.

Went to bed in the end and watched the condensed game back on MLB TV. Shouldn't have bothered. Total impulsion in the 10th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,900 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sigh. Where's the whiskey bottle...

Advertisement