26-01-2021, 13:52   #3646
zuutroy

Send a message via Skype™ to zuutroy
Leo's statement is 100% politics and nothing else. It would be too hard to undo, so if this is what you want then say goodbye to summer and Christmas....crazy statement.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2021, 17:24   #3647
IngazZagni

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuutroy View Post
Leo's statement is 100% politics and nothing else. It would be too hard to undo, so if this is what you want then say goodbye to summer and Christmas....crazy statement.
The media are constantly guilty of this. They take a snippet of what he said and present it as a headline. The general public then run with this as fact.
It appears yet again this has been taken out of context. Read or listen to the full statement and the question that went with it on the Claire Byrne show.

Basically he was saying that that’s what would be required if we went for a zero covid strategy and he’s not in favour of that right now, neither is NPHET.
26-01-2021, 17:28   #3648
BigMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngazZagni View Post
The media are constantly guilty of this. They take a snippet of what he said and present it as a headline. The general public then run with this as fact.
It appears yet again this has been taken out of context. Read or listen to the full statement and the question that went with it on the Claire Byrne show.
He was pretty clear on todays briefing that regardless of how many are vaccinated you wouldn't want to open up at Christmas and let a flood of folk with the virus in. With no explanation of why not if the vaccine stops 90% of vaccinated folk dying or needing hospital care...
26-01-2021, 17:55   #3649
IngazZagni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoose View Post
He was pretty clear on todays briefing that regardless of how many are vaccinated you wouldn't want to open up at Christmas and let a flood of folk with the virus in. With no explanation of why not if the vaccine stops 90% of vaccinated folk dying or needing hospital care...
I’m not sure I heard the same thing as you?
To me he said international travel can’t happen in a normal way in March and April.

He specifically said he hopes international summer travel can happen in the summer but it will be dependent on the vaccines being effective and there’s no guarantee yet on that.
He also said if we wanted a zero covid approach which he’s against, you’d probably be unlikely to have any international travel for the year and on that point, New Zealand has indicated no international travel will happen without mandatory quarantine for all of 2021.
Thanks from:
26-01-2021, 18:08   #3650
BigMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngazZagni View Post
I’m not sure I heard the same thing as you?
To me he said international travel can’t happen in a normal way in March and April.

He specifically said he hopes international summer travel can happen in the summer but it will be dependent on the vaccines being effective and there’s no guarantee yet on that.
He also said if we wanted a zero covid approach which he’s against, you’d probably be unlikely to have any international travel for the year and on that point, New Zealand has indicated no international travel will happen without mandatory quarantine for all of 2021.
I was working at the same time as watching so hope you're right as I missed that - will watch again later
Advertisement
26-01-2021, 18:15   #3651
IngazZagni

Quote:
I was working at the same time as watching so hope you're right as I missed that - will watch again later
The thing is it’s all hypothetical right now. Will the vaccines actually work? Will new variants render them useless? At what stage do we reach herd immunity, if that’s even possible?

We don’t know and we won’t know for a while. Let’s all keep the fingers crossed.
(4) thanks from:
26-01-2021, 18:27   #3652
Tenger

I wonder what impact these new restrictions will have upon the Irish Airlines.

The airlines were perhaps expecting to see some bookings being made in March/April for later in the year. People aren't going to be making travel plans while we are still under level 5 restrictions.

On a related point will the airlines request that their crew are bumped up in vaccine priority? If the passengers require negative test results and/or quarantine then some monitoring of the currently exempt crew would be needed.
I know that Singapore are already providing their crew with testing after each foreign trip. (as well as full PPE rather than the face mask and sanitisers of the 2 main Irish airlines)
26-01-2021, 18:38   #3653
Jack1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenger View Post
On a related point will the airlines request that their crew are bumped up in vaccine priority? If the passengers require negative test results and/or quarantine then some monitoring of the currently exempt crew would be needed.
I know that Singapore are already providing their crew with testing after each foreign trip. (as well as full PPE rather than the face mask and sanitisers of the 2 main Irish airlines)
This has been entirely moot. Regards schedules, the forecast 70% schedules at EI and proposed MAN base sound like folklore at this rate, to many variables against the industry and confidence is floored, worse than Summer 20 in my view.

I don't see how EI in particular can stumble on as it has the last few months without signifcant capital boost.
26-01-2021, 21:39   #3654
snotboogie

Quote:
The vaccine stops 90% of people catching the virus, it stops well in excess of 99% of people needing hospital care. I see this misinterpreted all the time
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2021, 21:54   #3655
Noxegon

So now arrivals from Brazil and South Africa will be required to quarantine in a hotel....

...but since Ireland has no direct flights from either, these people will be sharing an aircraft with crew and passengers from their connecting points, be they LHR, CDG, AMS, DXB, DOH....

It's a good thing the virus knows that it's not allowed to infect others on board aircraft!
(4) thanks from:
26-01-2021, 22:07   #3656
donkey balls

This time last year a government spokesperson said Ireland had nothing to worry about the virus as we had no direct flights to China, Just goes to show either the arrogance or complete utter incompetence of some dept heads in government.
Thanks from:
26-01-2021, 22:27   #3657
Locker10a

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey balls View Post
This time last year a government spokesperson said Ireland had nothing to worry about the virus as we had no direct flights to China, Just goes to show either the arrogance or complete utter incompetence of some dept heads in government.
In fairness nobody thought it would become what it has, so they probably didn’t think this time last year it would become the global pandemic it did, I certainly didn’t and I’m sorry but I don’t believe you did either, so why would anyone in government in January 2020 have known better, they couldn’t have known, even 1 month ago we didn’t know about the new strains, everything changes by the week and day. All we can do is firefight, sadly this is an absolute disaster for aviation
26-01-2021, 22:32   #3658
donkey balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker10a View Post
In fairness nobody thought it would become what it has, so they probably didn’t think this time last year it would become the global pandemic it did, I certainly didn’t and I’m sorry but I don’t believe you did either, so why would anyone in government in January 2020 have known better, they couldn’t have known, even 1 month ago we didn’t know about the new strains, everything changes by the week and day. All we can do is firefight, sadly this is an absolute disaster for aviation
Think you're missing the part were they said no direct flights from China to Ireland so no need to worry about the virus getting to Ireland.
27-01-2021, 06:59   #3659
billy few mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey balls View Post
Think you're missing the part were they said no direct flights from China to Ireland so no need to worry about the virus getting to Ireland.
Who said this...?
27-01-2021, 08:25   #3660
donkey balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy few mates View Post
Who said this...?
I heard it last year on the radio in work the news presenter said that a government officail/spokeperson said that Ireland did not have to worry.
About the virus as we had no direct flights to China.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion