Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe's Hidden Gem. Jasna, Slovakia

• 09-09-2019 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

What's up people?
    The end of the summer has landed, kids are back at school and the serious planning starts for this coming winter's ski destination.

I have been fortunate enough to move to a ski resort in 2015, specifically Jasna Ski Resort in Slovakia. Therefore it's pretty obvious that the following information will be regarding what is widely accepted as Europe's hidden gem, Jasna ski resort in the Tatra mountains in Slovakia.

The Lonely Planet Guide included The Tatra Mountains as Europe's number 1 destination in 2019. Winter or Summer, Slovakia is pretty epic anytime of the year. https://wanderingon.com/jasna-slovakia-things-to-do/

Jasna SKI resort offers 50km of perfectly groomed slopes, suitable for beginners, families with children, intermediates and 12 designated free ride zones for advanced skiers.

A modern snow making system spread over 30km of the resort guarantees a 5 month SKI season from the beginning of Dec right through until mid to late April.
    In 2014, Jasna was awarded the Best Upcoming Resort at the World Snow Awards. There has been investment of over €200M into the infrastructure of the resort over the last 5 to 6 years, the biggest one of which was joining the North and South side together with a modern gondola lift system.
    The Audi FIS Ski World Cup took a stop in Jasna in 2016. There are also qualifying rounds for the Freeride World Tour regularly held here. When conditions are all time, the bowls at Jasna offer up some of the best and easily accessible freeride terrain in all of Europe.
    Guides are not expensive and avalanche equipment can be rented locally. There are also options of getting out on an introduction splitboard day and multiple day trips for the more advanced.

Prices here are creeping up slowly but overall a week at Jasna should be coming in at near half the price of it's more widely known European cousins.

Flights from Dub - Brat are usually around the €100 mark.
    Train to the resort is less than €30 return.
    6 day skipass will be anywhere from €150 - €250, depending on which month you travel.
    6 day rental equipment, kids €50, adult €75, pro setup €100
    Ski Lessons can be as low as €30 for kids and €45 for adults for a 2 hour lesson.
    Food and drink is still ridiculously cheap, it really has to be seen to be believed.
    There are plenty of restaurants that offer international cuisine and 1 or 2 top quality that offer the traditional Slovak food and folk music.

There is accommodation for all types of budget, from newly built ski in, ski out high end hotels to comfortable apartments and chalets.

Disclaimer * Myself and my Slovak wife run a ski Lodge (Liptov Lodge) at the foothills of the ski resort, perfectly located between the slopes and the nearest biggest town, ideal for a selection of restaurants and bars, with the indoor heated waterpark just another 2mins in a taxi.

There is a free ski bus, local transport is less than €1 and a taxi to town is €5.

The Lodge consists of 3 ensuite bedrooms, parking, wifi, kitchen and the all important private Irish bar for guests only. It's perfect for groups or multiple families travelling, that want the comfort of home, but also to enjoy a glass of beer or wine in the evening while the kids sleep soundly upstairs.
    Self-catering or half-board offered.

Anyone looking for a low cost ski trip without settling for sub standard accom, ancient lift systems and long queues should not look past Jasna.
    It is becoming more and more popular with tourists from Ireland and the UK, but for now, there are still short lift waiting times and half empty slopes, with the freeride terrain practically all to yourself.

https://www.liptovlodge.sk/
    https://www.jasna.sk/
    http://kolibajasna.sk/
    https://www.tatralandia.sk/
    https://www.restartburger.com/en/
    https://www.r66.sk/en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Is there any travel company that do packages to Jasna? I'm getting back into skiing of more than 20 years so want the comfort of a package.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 A1Son

Is there any travel company that do packages to Jasna? I'm getting back into skiing of more than 20 years so want the comfort of a package.

Not at the moment. No tour operators are offering flights and accom.
    There are a number of chalet operators, including ourselves here at Liptov Lodge, that offer a full package from when you land in Slovakia.
    So once you land in Slovakia everything from the airport, transfers, accom, rentals, ski passes, lessons and food including chalet hosting, can all be taken care of.
    It's a shame the tour operators are not making more of an effort. We have an airport just 40 minutes away, which would make the transfer 1 of the shortest in Europe when travelling from Ireland.
    I'm sure as the resort becomes more popular with Irish skiers somebody will seize the opportunity.

Car rental or airport transfers are no problem and cost effective if there are 6 or more travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

Would Krakow be closer than Bratislava?

I've booked flights for 28th December - 4th Jan and was planning to go to Zakopane but Jasna was also on my list of options.

Which do you think would be better?

Nutser wrote: »
    Would Krakow be closer than Bratislava?

I've booked flights for 28th December - 4th Jan and was planning to go to Zakopane but Jasna was also on my list of options.

Which do you think would be better?

We get a lot of Polish staying here with us and the general consensus is that Jasna is the better resort RE size and lift waiting times. I've heard good things though about Zakopane RE apres from friends who live in Krakow.

On the map Krakow is closer, but I have driven it and the traffic can be heavy leaving Krakow and also if the weather is bad, travelling through the High Tatras can be a bit slow.
    Bratislava is by far the easier route for Jasna. But in saying that Krakow can be hassle free....just depends on a bit of luck I suppose.

Choice of accom. for New Years gets thin on the ground pretty quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

Yes - as I have discovered! I have booked accommodation in Zakopane. I was interested in going the catered chalet/package route but due to the busy period and our small group size (3) it's been a little difficult to find. I assume that you are booked up during that period but if you have details of other chalet package providers, I would be happy to take recommendations and check them out!

• Advertisement

Yep, we are booked out for New Years since May.
    Drop me an email at liptovlodge@gmail.com

Have a couple of chalet operators, but 1 in particular might have space.
    I'll give him a call this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi A1Son,
    Just came across your post and it looks very interesting. I organise a group ski trip every year for 14-16 guys and Jasna looks like it might suit us next year. It is on the Green List for travel so it is a strong contender. We are all intermediate to advanced skiers in our 40's. We usually just stick to on-piste skiing and like to travel somewhere each day.
    Are there other resorts near Jasna that we could get a taxi/bus to during our trip?
    Would we be better off staying in the nearby town of Liptovský Mikuláš for some nightlife and good restaurants?
    Can you recommend a hotel for a group of guys?

Thanks!

Good afternoon Donie75,
    Yes for sure Jasna, Slovakia should be very popular this year for ski trips. There are a number of other resorts reasonably close by. The main resort reachable within 50 minutes drive is Vysoke Tatry. It's not as big as Jasna but the big plus is, the ski pass you purchase for Jasna works for Vysoke Tatry.
    Train is an option, but I can organise private transfer for each of the other resorts.
    Myself and my wife run a ski lodge here in the foothills at Jasna (10 min by skibus to Jasna) with the option of chauffeured minivan for the week.
    Our place sleeps 11 but we have partner accom. just a 1 minute walk from our gate.
    We are located between the resort and Liptovsky Mikulas with plenty of restaurants within walking distance. We also have an onsite Irish bar for guests only, perfect for apres ski.
    The resort is quiet for apres ski, so definitely, basing yourself close to Liptovsky Mikulas is better for evening activities. Taxi from our place is just 6 Euro.
    Let me know if you need anymore information or advice on Jasna. I can recommend hotels if you would like, but take a look at Liptov Lodge 1st and the reviews.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks A1Son,
    I’m going to have a chat with our group and see what they want to do.

Donie75 wrote: »
    Thanks A1Son,
    I’m going to have a chat with our group and see what they want to do.

Let me know if you decide on Jasna anyway. I can give you plenty of local knowledge to make the ski trip more enjoyable :)

• Advertisement

A quick update on Jasna for this coming winter season.

Currently the resort is preparing to open for the 15th Dec.

Hotels are taking bookings but are unsure if they can operate as normal, guesthouses are open.

Bars and restaurants are restricted to outdoor seating only, which means quite a few have remained closed.

Masks are still mandatory on buses.

Travelers from Ireland do not have to quarantine on arrival but travelling home to Ireland you may be required to have a negative PCR test no older than 72hrs.

There will be a government meeting this week sometime to update the current restrictions and guidelines.
    They will also make a decision on whether to follow other European countries and delay the opening of ski resorts until Jan 10th 2021.

UPDATE FOR JASNA SLOVAKIA : DEC 9th 2020

The resort opened last weekend for a trial run for season pass holders and limited online ticket sales.
    It was not possible to buy tickets at sales points in the resort.

Everything seems to have run smooth, so much so, that the resort has remained open during the week.

Govt. announcement coming later today.

UPDATE FOR JASNA SLOVAKIA : Dec 10th 2020

These new restrictions will be reviewed in 3 weeks time.
    They might give some insight into how the Alpine resorts will operate.

11 DEC - Bars and Restaurants can only operate as takeaway or delivery. No apres ski. Outdoor seating is also a no go.

14 DEC - Ski Resorts - everybody older than 10 yrs of age will be required to show a Neg PCR or Antigen test result no older than 72 hours.

Only one person or one family unit will be allowed to be on one chairlift or in one gondola at a time

New restrictions coming in for hotels. Details are yet to be decided.
    Guesthouses can operate. Any guests older than 10 yrs of age need Neg test results. Hosts must wear masks during all interactions with guests. No food or drink can be served, but food and drink deliveries are possible.

DEC 21, 2020: Shops except for essential services, pharmacies / supermarkets will be closed. Schools break up early for Christmas.

Hope this information helps anybody mulling over whether or not to travel on a ski holiday.

UPDATE FOR JASNA SLOVAKIA : Dec 17th 2020

Daily new cases of Covid are remaining high in Slovakia so the Govt. have released new guidelines for over the Christmas period.
    These guidelines come into effect from Saturday 19th and are valid until 10th Jan 2021.
    There are a lot of seemingly grey areas and it has been stressed that these are only guidelines. Use your common sense.

SKI RESORTS REMAIN OPEN AND OPERATIONAL AS PER PREVIOUS UPDATE.

GUESTHOUSES REMAIN OPEN WITH SAME GUIDELINES.

HOTELS CAN BE OPEN. NO MORE THAN 2 HOUSEHOLDS / SOCIAL BUBBLE SHOULD MIX TOGETHER. NO WELLNESS, NO BAR, NO RESTAURANT.
    How this will be policed is anyones guess. Basically act responsibly.
    Neg PCR / antigen same as in previous update for guesthouses will apply.

SHOPS HAVE NO CHANGE.

GYMS, SWIMMING POOLS, INDOOR SPORTS AND FITNESS CLOSED.

TRAVEL BETWEEN DIFFERENT PROVINCES IS ALLOWED BUT RECOMMENDED NOT TO TRAVEL.

CROSS BORDER TRAVEL IS ALLOWED AS PER EU GUIDELINES / TRAFFIC LIGHT SYSTEM.

Not much has changed since Dec 10th. The Govt. are hoping people will act responsibly and protect the vulnerable while also trying to deter large gatherings around the holidays.

From the point of view of accommodation providers in a ski resort, skiers this winter season should expect a full lockdown in Jan / Feb. This is a personal opinion and by no means a given.
    Hopefully Spring skiing will bring a little more normality and with Easter early this year, April 4th, some late powder would make for a great end of season.

Hopefully this information helps some of you.
    We will be keeping a close eye on developments around the Alpine resorts after Jan 10th.

UPDATE FOR JASNA, SLOVAKIA : Jan 1st 2021

So with the ever increasing positive Covid test results the Slovak government called an emergency meeting on the 31st Dec.
    New restrictions came into effect from 5.00am this morning, new years day.

Everything seemed to be running fine in the resort, although the queues for the lifts were up to an hour over the holidays.

New restrictions from January 1 at 5:00:

Ban on any visits between households; no social bubble.

All ski resorts will have to be closed until January 24th.

Hotels will have to adopt new conditions. Already accommodated guests will be allowed to stay, but their stay cannot be prolonged. Hotels cannot take any new guests.
    Guesthouses have not been mentioned, so it looks like they can still accept bookings, but only from 1 family or household.
    This condition needs to be clarified.

Travel around the country from 1 province to another is prohibited.

The date for easing out of the hard lockdown is Jan 24th, but it will probably drag into Feb.

UPDATE FOR JASNA, SLOVAKIA : Jan 16th 2021

The resort announced on the 4th of January that it will allow skitouring, splitboarding, snowshoeing and cross country skiing.
    These activities were not permitted through the resort during the lockdown of March and April 2020.

There has been a new cross country ski track added this year, which is perfect for people not looking to spend a couple of hours touring up.
    https://www.facebook.com/jasnanizketatry/posts/10159101315812904

The current government guidelines allow people to travel within their district. The district of Liptovsky Mikulas where Jasna ski resort is located is 1,341 km2.

The government restrictions will be reviewed and a new announcement will be made before 24th January.

The FIS Alpine Ski World Cup Women's Giant Slalom and Slalom are due to be held at Jasna on the 6th and 7th of March 2021 respectively.

The Freeride World Qualifier which was cancelled last season is not scheduled to return this year to Jasna.

The ski resorts located in Slovakia are currently lobbying the government to reopen.
    Out of 5,000 tests carried out in the resorts over the Christmas period, just 14 people tested positive.

It looks like it will still be possible to enjoy a ski trip this season. Obviously some people are staunchly against the idea of travel during a
    pandemic.
    It is becoming safer and safer to travel as the weeks go by. New requirements for testing before and after crossing borders, the wearing of masks and sanitizing of hands becoming commonplace all help in returning the tourism industry back to some sort of normality.

For anybody looking to checkout out current conditions at Jasna, here is a link to the webcams.
    https://www.jasna.sk/en/hory/lyzovacka/webkamery/zahradky-i-1028-m-nm-2

UPDATE FOR JASNA, SLOVAKIA : Jan 20th 2021

The lockdown has been extended, pretty much as expected.
    Everything remains closed, apart from essential shops and services, supermarkets to mechanics, childcare for essential workers and doctors and dentist appointments.

Mass testing of the population has been launched again.
    This measure has obviously been introduced to identify and isolate asymptomatic and newly infected cases thus hopefully leading to an earlier reopening of ski resorts and the economy as a whole.

The nationwide testing will last until January 26th.
    It will be possible to get tested at regular testing sites, mobile testing sites, and companies and production plants.

The cabinet has also extended the lockdown until February 7th. Originally, it was expected to expire on January 24th.

This means that from January 27th, people will not be allowed to go to their work or to the countryside without a negative test result (antigen or PCR) no older than seven days. In the case of the countryside, the test will be required from people aged 15-65 years.

The activities that will not require a negative test result will include going to the supermarket or to the doctor.

Everybody including locals will not be able to go splitboarding or skitouring without a negative test from 27th. This measure seems pretty extreme, but the hope is, if isolating the infected and therefore lowering daily case numbers enough can be achieved, there should be some hope of reopening the ski resort for sometime in March and throughout Easter.

If the Ski World Cup round at Jasna goes ahead in early March it will surely be a much more subdued affair as it was last time back in 2016.

Fingers crossed ski resorts get to welcome some foreign visitors this season. It's looking like if that scenario is allowed, neg test results on arrival at the destination country and home country will still be in effect.

Can't actually see airline companies enforcing a health passport. There are too many implications for a private company having a mandatory requirement for a customer to receive a vaccine to use it's services. If there were adverse side effects the company could be held liable.
    Governments on the other hand and entry across borders can obviously enforce this measure.

A quick update for the resort at JASNÁ.

The resort may well be opening in some capacity during February.

Currently the Ski World Cup Jasná is still scheduled to take place on the weekend of the 6th and 7th of March.
    Also the Freeride World Qualifier has been penciled in for the weekend of Thursday 11th to Monday 15th of March. Possibly due to the snow conditions this season!
    Professional sports events can be held with no spectators, so these 2 events will likely go ahead.

Not many other changes to the restrictions over in the resort at Jasna.
    There will be weekly updates from the Slovak government every Tuesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

It's a €5,000 fine to go skiing from Ireland ATM so open or not wont make much odds.

I have seen the restrictions on international travel are increasing EU wide.
    I'd be surprised if they are eased before Easter.
    Just trying to keep ski enthusiasts updated on how ski resorts are dealing with the current situation.

The reality is that nobody knows what will happen in 2, 4 or 6 weeks time.
    A small glimmer of hope Rew, is better than none, but we can all agree that travelling abroad for this winter season is now well and truly off the cards.

Stay safe, fit and healthy.
    The mountains will still be there when all this blows over.

• Advertisement

So it looks like the FIS Alpine Ski World Cup Women's Giant Slalom and Slalom are going ahead.

The track is prepared and the training for the athletes has started. The event as expected will take place without spectators.
    To enforce this, the ski resort and race organizers have come up with an interesting solution. There will be a checkpoint entering the valley beside a car park / bus stop.
    From this point all persons entering the valley must either be residents, athletes, TV or event crew. Both a NEG Antigen and PCR will be needed. This is an interesting concept which has much stricter restrictions than how the resort was operating in December.

Will this be a solution for the future in the case of rising Covid infected numbers?

The Freeride World Qualifier event has been cancelled.

We can only hope that vaccinations moving forward will be rolled out at a quicker pace. It's rumoured that the resort owner / operator are laying off upto 1,200 staff.

Some good news coming out of Slovakia.

Ski resorts in Štrbské Pleso and Jasná are open to the public for skiing after a 110-day break due to the pandemic restrictions.
    Skiers will have to show a negative Covid-19 test no older than 72 hours. They are also required to cover their faces and follow all the basic precautionary measures

There are a limited number of slopes open and only the open chair lifts are running.
    From Monday restaurants will be open on the mountain to serve food and drinks on the terrace.
    The resort will be in operation until the 2nd May.
    This is a nice bit of good news after a season of uncertainties albeit of little use to international travellers.

For anybody looking to book a week for next winter, we are accepting reservations with a 0% deposit.

A deposit of 20% is payable by October 15th 2021. (Usually the deposit is payable upon booking confirmation).

The balance for accommodation is payable 6 weeks prior to arrival. (The balance can be paid as you please from October 15th onwards).

Any Covid-19 refunds and cancellations will be determined in accordance with EU travel restrictions in effect at the time of the reservation dates.
    We have fully repaid all guests who have had to cancel in the last 12 months. Under normal circumstances the 20% deposit is non-refundable.
    liptovlodge@gmail.com

A quick update on Slovakia for the current season.

The resort has been operational for fully vaxxed and recovered from covid persons since the 11th DEC.

You can also now access the lift system with a NEG test result.

Masks required for gondolas, restaurants and bars but not really being enforced the last while.

No NEG test requirements to enter Slovakia, just the passenger locator form.

The resort is very quiet compared to pre pandemic levels. Zero waiting times at the lift stations but that will surely change rolling into half-term.

After a warm New Years and some sunny weeks, there is now plenty of snow falling and we are getting 2 - 3 powder off-piste days a week.

The Slovak govt. are easing restrictions weekly, so it looks like late season should also run smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Fantastic spot. Wife is from near there.

I wouldn't agree on restrictions easing though. Things are still fairly regulated

Currently - 10 in the mountains.

Great little spot alright. Are you currently in Slovakia?

The writing has been on the wall for the last couple of weeks going by what other governments have been doing around this part Europe, mainly the Czechs.

https://spectator.sme.sk/c/22842495/first-measures-might-be-lifted-in-late-february.html

We haven't been over in 4 years.

Tatry is a lovely spot.

My I laws live at the foot of one of the mountains. Beyond the village is forest, mountain and lots of bears and wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Can you see the wildlife? I really need to get out to some of the European wilderness

You don't want to meet a bear or wolf on the mountains.

Where we are there are marmots on the mountain.

Saw a golden Eagle in a field a few years ago in the High tatras.

Great country to visit. Starting to get more English speaker friendly as the kids are now coming out of a echo with English. They're also travelling.

Access to high tatras is always an issue.

Flights to bratislava and now more closer to kosice.

Good roads as well. We've a lot to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Beer?

• Advertisement

Fiver tops in the resort, 2euro average in bars and restos, 1.80 here at the Lodge.

Ski passes have just dropped to 25 bucks a day from the 14th March until the 19th April inc. Available through package deals when booking accom. through a ski pass partner........and Ryanair flights for March are starting from 40.

Advertisement