28-08-2019, 11:04   #4051
Xenji

Cool and showery in Castlebar this morning with some sunny spells in between.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-08-2019, 11:04   #4052
JCX BXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
There is a grass frost

west mayo offshore
There couldn't be!

Simply a very dewy night.
(4) thanks from:
28-08-2019, 11:12   #4053
sideswipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter23 View Post
You'd think August would have the best warmest weather with the heat building up all summer...no this is ireland sure...no wonder they used to call this island "Hibernia" (the land of winter)
Well it’s certainly not the land of winter anymore- we can barely manage actual winter weather in winter nowadays!
Thanks from:
28-08-2019, 11:18   #4054
Xenji

Thunder currently in Castlebar now.
Thanks from:
28-08-2019, 11:20   #4055
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post
There couldn't be!

Simply a very dewy night.
there was! Look it up. grass was pure, frosted white very early on, bitter cold. Not the first time for you on this...

Last edited by Graces7; 28-08-2019 at 11:24.
Advertisement
28-08-2019, 11:20   #4056
Kutebride

Lovely weather Dublin 2 yesterday and home ((NE Galway) reporting wouldn't put a duck out in it!!!!

Dry and sunny in Meath today.
28-08-2019, 11:25   #4057
JCX BXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
there was! Look it up. grass was pure, frosted white very early on, bitter cold. Not the first time for you on this...
Look what up?

And not the first time for me? What?

Temperatures simply didn't go low enough last night, not inland and certainly not at the coast!
28-08-2019, 11:26   #4058
Graces7

Patchy out here but bitterly cold; have actually ordered my turf from a neighbour! Cannot ever remember even at my advanced age, thinking of lighting a fire in August … Shivers
28-08-2019, 11:29   #4059
Graces7

[QUOTE=JCX BXC;111104059]

blank message..
Advertisement
28-08-2019, 11:35   #4060
loughside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCX BXC View Post
Look what up?

And not the first time for me? What?

Temperatures simply didn't go low enough last night, not inland and certainly not at the coast!

It`s been dew on the grass, sparkles in the first light like frost... easily confused when you`re half awake.
Min temp in that area last night was 11C
(4) thanks from:
28-08-2019, 11:42   #4061

Met Eireann reports tomorrow morning will show the lowest temps at met stations for the early hours of 28th August. If Mount Dillon has a temp below 4C well then grass frost possible. But I don't think that happened. it's just the change of air mass after the front passed and a very heavy due i'd imagine.

I'm not being dismissive Grace but I can't for the life of me see how temps dipped that low last night. We weren't in any sort of established polar air mass.
28-08-2019, 11:43   #4062
JCX BXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by loughside View Post
It`s been dew on the grass, sparkles in the first light like frost... easily confused when you`re half awake.
Min temp in that area last night was 11C
Agreed, I've often thought it was frosty but upon checking the grass finding it was simply a dew.

Easy mistake to make
28-08-2019, 11:43   #4063
Calibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashermcguirk View Post
I agree it’s at least last Thursday when we last had rain where I am in Dublin (it can all depend where you are in Dublin). I think 0.2mm constituting a rain day is utter nonsense, that could literally fall in less than 5 mins in a light shower and you could have 12 hours of sunshine outside of that. I know that’s what met Éireann count it as but that’s very misleading as a ‘rain day’.

I am amazed that no rain fell yesterday hearing the reports of torrential rain in so many locations. It just shows how localized weather can be. It’s the same when we have snow events where you could have next to no snow in one part of Dublin and 10-20km away there could be 2-3 inches of snow. Storm Emma was a classic example with places like Kildare impassable and some neighboring counties getting a fraction of that. I have even seen a 3-4 degree difference when driving from my house to west Dublin
Its why I always used to bang on about Brays Micro-climate even relative to Dublin 12 miles to our North.

"Costa Del Bray wrapped in the sheltering embrace of the Wicklow and Dublin Mountains...", Yadda yadda yadda.

In the most common South Westerly Bray would have the longest and highest mountain track shielding us/diverting cloud around us or soaking up the worst of the wet weather like a sponge before it gets to us and/or adding a degree or two to our temperatures thanks to the Foehn effect. Being right on the coast, the Maritime layer of air can often hold back/dissolve convective cloud formation over us, leaving a several mile wide strip of clear skies over the Eastern coastal fringes while convective cloud bubbles up over the rest of the country. Summer 2014 was a classic example of that. For me in Bray and much of the Eastern Coastal fringes, the Summer of 2014 was almost as good as the Summer of 2013 for heat and blue skies, whereas for the other 95% of the country it felt like a warm but perpetually cloudy Summer after noon when the convective cloud would bubble up and fill in.

This year the last week in June, all of July and the first week of August was pretty damn good with feck all rain except the odd 5 minute convective shower passing over, broken cloud with plenty of blue skies and temps averaging 20-22ºc IIRC. Those couple of 'rain days' a couple of weeks ago really were a shock to the system or a reminder of how good we've actually had it this Summer because it reminded me that it had been several months since I'd seen enough rain for a long enough duration to see water flowing past us along the kerb or seen that big puddle that usually forms at the corner of the nearby road junction.

So, I'd have to be one of those giving Summer 2019 a 7/10. Didn't utter my infamous catchphrase, Costa Del Bray or Playa Del Arklow once this Summer though because I could see early on how Tetchy those West of the Wicklow Mountains all the way to the west coast were getting and I didn't want to rub them the wrong way.

Last edited by Calibos; 28-08-2019 at 20:15.
(3) thanks from:
28-08-2019, 11:54   #4064
Thelonious Monk

Anyway I'm glad our attempt at summer is over, the constant disappointment gets me down. I remember having some lovely Autumn days with plenty of sun and no wind, I never have any expectations so tend to enjoy it better.
28-08-2019, 12:00   #4065
Oneiric 3

Some rainfall stats for this summer so far (up to yesterday) from all of the reporting Met Eireann stations. Table ordered by highest to lowest in terms of 'percentage of dry days' relative to the stated duration. The numbers represent the number of days with stated totals or more.

(5) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion