27-07-2019, 22:17   #2701
appledrop

Ah Sryanbruen we don't want a classic August! That means a crap one!
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-07-2019, 22:18   #2702
sryanbruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledrop View Post
Ah Sryanbruen we don't want a classic August! That means a crap one!
I see what you did there , very true though. I mean, an August to remember
27-07-2019, 22:29   #2703
Slashermcguirk

I agree, since the 3rd week of June this has been an excellent summer in Dublin. It all started around the first week of Wimbledon tennis and since then I can recall very few days under 20 degrees with most days in the range of 21-24 degrees. There hasn’t been the heat of last summer in terms of max temps but we did get a day or two up around 27. Still you would take 21-24 degrees and dry any summer in this part of the world
27-07-2019, 22:38   #2704
Sammy2012

Great summer overall since we came home from hols the first week in july. Have only wore trousers once since then. Heading away again on the 12th of aug so hopefully the weather will last until then.

Speaking of which what is the weather currently looking like for the bank holiday weekend? Planning a bbq party on the sat and would like a dry monday for tinahely show?! I know it's a bit too far away to be 100% yet but just a general idea would be great.
Thanks from:
27-07-2019, 22:41   #2705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashermcguirk View Post
I agree, since the 3rd week of June this has been an excellent summer in Dublin. It all started around the first week of Wimbledon tennis and since then I can recall very few days under 20 degrees with most days in the range of 21-24 degrees. There hasn’t been the heat of last summer in terms of max temps but we did get a day or two up around 27. Still you would take 21-24 degrees and dry any summer in this part of the world
Agree. Funny enough my weather app (I know I know) continued to show crap weather throughout this period. I suppose there was some rain many of the days but it was slight.
Advertisement
27-07-2019, 23:25   #2706
Gonzo

Send a message via MSN to Gonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2012 View Post
Planning a bbq party on the sat and would like a dry monday for tinahely show?! I know it's a bit too far away to be 100% yet but just a general idea would be great.
So far next Saturday looks ok, but Sunday has the Atlantic coming back in and setting up the scene for start of August. The unsttled run is still in FI so hopefully it will get pushed back. I'd like to see a proper plume even for 1 to 2 days this August with high temperatures nationwide and no easterly breezes to ruin things. We can still get warm to hot plumes in first half of September so alot to play for still.
27-07-2019, 23:54   #2707
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsys View Post
I know. Ireland has literally one of the coolest climates in the world in summer.
Perhaps so, but 'coolest' still does not mean 'cool' in the literal sense. I sometimes wonder if some peoples' blood is just all out cold, in that they need a constant source of external heat to keep 'em all warm and snuggy?

You mention your preferred temp range. I see 13c to 17c (with low humidity) as a more a comfortable range for general outdoor daytime activities and for preventing the inside of the house from getting too warm.
28-07-2019, 00:21   #2708
Birdnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickger844posts View Post
For me its been a well above average Summer so far especially if you discount the first 3 weeks in June which were cold. Since the 24th of June we have had at least a Max Temp of 19c in Waterford with 25 days with 21c or above. Just 18mm of rain in July. Plenty of beach days so give me that every year and i'd be happy.
Its been good in the East since the end of June - West and NW in particular though continue to struggle to get a decent look in
28-07-2019, 01:39   #2709
Donegal Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric 3 View Post
Perhaps so, but 'coolest' still does not mean 'cool' in the literal sense. I sometimes wonder if some peoples' blood is just all out cold, in that they need a constant source of external heat to keep 'em all warm and snuggy?

You mention your preferred temp range. I see 13c to 17c (with low humidity) as a more a comfortable range for general outdoor daytime activities and for preventing the inside of the house from getting too warm.
Well, normal body temperature is 37C so I don't see why the average person would find 20C to be unbearably hot. Each to their own of course but for me an entire summer between around 23C and 28C would be perfection, with the odd spectacular thunderstorm thrown in of course

As for this summer, its been utterly crap in Donegal so far, a marked improvement since last Monday where its generally been ~20C with a mix of cloud and sun but up until then just unrelenting cool, grey, damp weather for all 7 weeks (bar a few days in late June) so it'll take a pretty special August to save things
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-07-2019, 05:25   #2710
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
coastal Cornwall gets summers similar to Ireland, one of the few parts of England that doesn't draw up heat from the continent on a regular basis in summer due to being too far west stuck out to sea.
Most of Cornwall is coastal.
28-07-2019, 08:04   #2711
DOCARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashermcguirk View Post
.....this has been an excellent summer in Dublin.
Agreed. So far, this July is warmer and drier than last July in my part of Dublin.
(2) thanks from:
28-07-2019, 08:27   #2712
esposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
Agreed. So far, this July is warmer and drier than last July in my part of Dublin.
Yes, can’t complain at all for the month of July in Dublin/Leinster. More of the same for August please ( a plume affecting us for a few days bringing temps into the high 20s would be nice)
(2) thanks from:
28-07-2019, 09:49   #2713

It’s been dry down here and mild certainly not cold in July. June was appalling. . Not much sun and a breeze there a lot of the time this month though. In saying that it’s a lovely morning out and I’m looking forward to experiencing this famous Dublin summer later on today during the hurling.
28-07-2019, 09:56   #2714
Oneiric 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donegal Storm View Post
Well, normal body temperature is 37C so I don't see why the average person would find 20C to be unbearably hot
As you say, each to their own I suppose, but the temperature here right now of 14.1c, with just the slightest breeze, feels near perfect for me. It isn't uncomfortably warm and the tiny little flutters of wind give an an enjoyable cool, fresh feel on the skin.

When it comes to cold temps though, I can be just as narky. The usual westerly bringing the typical 7 or 8c during the winter feels far more nasty to me than the -5.0c, with a near gale force wind, did during 'Storm Emma' in Feb 18'.
28-07-2019, 10:03   #2715
DOCARCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonmel1000 View Post
I’m looking forward to experiencing this famous Dublin summer later on today during the hurling.
Ah crap! No doubt it will probably rain this afternoon in Dublin!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion