12-12-2013, 18:39   #1
El Guapo!

MMA Forum Feedback.

As it says on the tin, this thread is for everyone to post any and all feedback or suggestions that you may have regarding the forum.

We've had an increase in traffic here lately and a lot of that is thanks to the rise of Conor McGregor and him becoming more of a public figure. The forum is probably going to keep attracting more and more people as Irish mma grows and more people take an interest in the sport.
For this reason we'd like all members to give us any feedback or suggestions that you can think of. Anything you think could add to this forum, we want to hear it.
Everyone is welcome to post here whether it's your first day on the site or if you're part of the furniture here!

All feedback, good and bad, is welcomed and encouraged. If there's something you want to say, but don't want to post it on-thread, then you're more than welcome to pm me with comments or suggestions or your bank account details.
Any pm's will be treated with the strictest confidence.

We want this forum to be the first point of call for Irish mma and, with your help, hopefully it can become a better and more welcoming place for new fans and members of the mma community.

This thread is not for airing any grievances with other posters and should not be used to attack any member of the forum or member of the wider mma community.

So, fire away......
Advertisement
12-12-2013, 19:17   #2
MrStuffins

Others might not agree but, as with the old moderators, this forum is pretty well and fairly moderated.

Things only get out of hand when Soccer Forum type discussions start flying in the McG thread. When they do, I feel they're handled well.

Elsewhere though discussion is always civil and enjoyable.
12-12-2013, 19:45   #3
scudzilla

Put the words 'Conor' and 'McGregor' onto the banned list and things will calm down overnight
13-12-2013, 11:03   #4

The only thing I would change is the "news thread" is a little too catch all and people miss out on news/conversation as a result.

Lots of people, myself included, do not particularly like starting threads. I understand that. But for example, the horrible Shane Del Rosario illness and death would have been missed by many as it was just in the news thread. There are plenty other examples.

More threads = more chat imo.
Thanks from:
13-12-2013, 11:10   #5
MrStuffins

Maybe we could change the threat to an "off topic" or "general chat" thread?
Advertisement
13-12-2013, 11:12   #6
Professey Chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
The only thing I would change is the "news thread" is a little too catch all and people miss out on news/conversation as a result.

Lots of people, myself included, do not particularly like starting threads. I understand that. But for example, the horrible Shane Del Rosario illness and death would have been missed by many as it was just in the news thread. There are plenty other examples.

More threads = more chat imo.
Before that though it was a bit of a mess. Threads would be started for pretty much every news item and often with only 1/2 replies if any.
Really it should be more an issue of personal judgement on each topic. Del Rosarios illness should have been brought out on its own IMO but it doesnt work everyway.
(2) thanks from:
13-12-2013, 11:19   #7

Oh I know. I mod the pro wrestling forum and the "news" thread is a handy thread for little snippets here and there, stuff which doesn't warrant a thread. But occassionally I do go in and there might be 15 posts in reply to something. I split the thread and put the item out on its own from there.
Thanks from:
13-12-2013, 11:33   #8
Professey Chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmick View Post
Oh I know. I mod the pro wrestling forum and the "news" thread is a handy thread for little snippets here and there, stuff which doesn't warrant a thread. But occassionally I do go in and there might be 15 posts in reply to something. I split the thread and put the item out on its own from there.
Thats about it really. Just needs judgement call on the activity different news stories can & will generate.

One thing I would like to see is a bit more maintenance of the Irish events Sticky. I know its no easy task considering the amount of events that are happening but I do find some shows are sliding under the radar even though a lot of the bigger ones have their own thread.

Actually maybe the stickys in general could use a review. Maybe an irish rankings one or results/records to compliment the events?

I'm just babbling now, dont mind me
13-12-2013, 11:42   #9
Clive

Get rid of the stickies. They''re great as a resource for things that don't change very often e.g. FAQs but for club listings etc they don't work well IMO.

Maybe one sticky for upcoming events so that all shows, seminars etc can be put in there.
Advertisement
13-12-2013, 12:00   #10
Professey Chin

Actually am I going mad or was there an MMA faq here at one stage or did I imagine that?
Might be no harm to bundle one in with the charter post considering more irish stars could mean bigger influx.

And any UFC with an Irish fighter should have their approx fight time in the thread title
13-12-2013, 12:31   #11
Professey Chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Get rid of the stickies. They''re great as a resource for things that don't change very often e.g. FAQs but for club listings etc they don't work well IMO.

Maybe one sticky for upcoming events so that all shows, seminars etc can be put in there.
I think the biggest issue with the club details one is keeping them all up to date. Just taking a look through the one we have theres definitely a few there that addresses/phone numbers/names have changed or in a couple of instances Im not even sure if they exist anymore.
Personally I like the idea of a club one but it'd probably need coaches input when things get updated.
13-12-2013, 12:44   #12
Clive

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Lord Cthulhu View Post
I think the biggest issue with the club details one is keeping them all up to date. Just taking a look through the one we have theres definitely a few there that addresses/phone numbers/names have changed or in a couple of instances Im not even sure if they exist anymore.
Personally I like the idea of a club one but it'd probably need coaches input when things get updated.
Maybe a list of links to websites/Facebook pages sorted by area? Even if details are updated later in the sticky most people stop reading once they''ve found what they want.
Thanks from:
13-12-2013, 12:51   #13
Professey Chin

True most would have a site or page at the minimum. Might be better if its kept but just cleaned out & started fresh
15-12-2013, 19:19   #14
El Guapo!

All good suggestions folks. Keep 'em coming.
Everything posted here will be taken on board and we'll see if we can all make the forum better and get a good community going again.
15-12-2013, 19:45   #15
Professey Chin

What would people think about trialling an Off Topic thread? They really can help build a community in forums and are standard in most specialty forums but no idea would it take off.

Or a Q&A thread?

(Yes im shamelessly robbing from the Pro Wrestling forum )
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion