Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeper league

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

ditto!
    I am in trouble though, the window isn't loading for me properly (mock draft). the green bar goes to about 90%
    And I have tested it loads of times on this computer as well!
    balls!
    If I dont make it in, you know why!
    Draft will open 30 mins before the start so you'll have time to play around with the browsers before its starts. I used Firebox for a Yahoo live draft last week and had no probs...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm pretty happy with that. There's 2 other teams that I'm pretty jealous of, but I do think this starting team is stronger than the one I finished 2011 with.

EDIT: Woah. Looking down I just realised that I have 11 pitchers who posted under 2.75 ERA last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'm happy with my team. I think i can compete for it all this year hopefully ! I was hurt by injuries a lot last year !

Yea, it was a good draft. Great to see everyone there, it should be a good competative season. I have 3 players playing in Japan so the season starts for me on Wednesday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

I lost count of how many times I said to myself "Jesus, why is that guy still on the board? There must be something wrong with him" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Not sure about my team.
    Took a good few gambles.
    Expect to change it up a good bit within the 1st month

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lankythecamel

I had the first and last pick,the draft took just 63 minutes which was great last season I was in a public league it took over two hours!!!!!.Happy enough with my selections.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

Thanks to everyone for shpwing up for the draft last night. Really rattled through it.
    Sone very strong looking teams out these. First week opponents for me, Homers Homers look very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I cant believe I walked into Henry first game. Be gentle with me

Picked Bryce Harper and V-Mart off FA. Now that it's a keeper league and all! Slightly surprised both were available. Not sure it's wise using up a DL and BN spot for pretty much the entire season (Harper won't be up until July at the very earliest I reckon if at all), could probably have waited on Harper a few months.

I guess it's early season excitement and I'm easily led by hype!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭boccy23

With the 1 DL spot, I used this on Carpenter. Had looked at V Mart but decided to play for the now! It is really hard to play off such a long term move versus the weekly play. Plus with Holds now, a roster spot will have to be taken by a middle reliever.

8-10 wrote: »
    Picked Bryce Harper and V-Mart off FA
    I dropped V-Mart since as I didnt think he was going to play this season. Apparently he hasn't even had his ACL repair surgery yet so that confirms that. Had he been fit I would have kept him especially with OBP been added as a new scoring category. I had picked up Mauer at the end of last season as a backup so he got that spot.

I agree with boccy on the use of the DL position. Injuries are gonna happen during the season so I think its best to use it to deal with them as they occur. For me, Bailey looks to be heading for surgery so I'll have to use it from the off.

As for Bryce, I think they could bring him up in May. The Nationals have a lot of future money tied up in Werth and Zimmerman so will want to delay his arbitration years and entry into free agency for as long as possible. Waiting a month will delay that process by a year. No reason not to bring him up after that deadline passes...

Coeus wrote: »
    Picked Bryce Harper and V-Mart off FA
    I dropped V-Mart since as I didnt think he was going to play this season. Apparently he hasn't even had his ACL repair surgery yet so that confirms that. Had he been fit I would have kept him especially with OBP been added as a new scoring category. I had picked up Mauer at the end of last season as a backup so he got that spot.

I agree with boccy on the use of the DL position. Injuries are gonna happen during the season so I think its best to use it to deal with them as they occur. For me, Bailey looks to be heading for surgery so I'll have to use it from the off.

As for Bryce, I think they could bring him up in May. The Nationals have a lot of future money tied up in Werth and Zimmerman so will want to delay his arbitration years and entry into free agency for as long as possible. Waiting a month will delay that process by a year. No reason not to bring him up after that deadline passes...

Well depends on where in the outfield they want him to play long term really. I think they're using his time in AAA to convert him to center, i reckon that's gonna be a factor on when he comes up.

As for v-mart, i fully agree and if i get a bad injury to certain players I'll likely ship him for the dl spot. However while we're all healthy i might as well use the spot.

Good point made up above about holds too. I have no idea how matchups will play out in that category so its a stab in the dark for me.

Good point made up above about holds too. I have no idea how matchups will play out in that category so its a stab in the dark for me.
    Agree on holds, very hard to know at the moment what teams are going to be involved in lots games that produce hold situations. Those teams seem to change from year to year. That makes picking pitchers for that category even harder. I like that extra dimension though :)

My last draft pick, Round 24, 235th overall, was Alfredo Aceves, on the basis that he had a chance of making the starting rotation and is always pretty solid.

Now Andrew Bailey is out for likely the majority of the season and Bobby V names Aceves closer!

Delighted, let's get some Asaves!

My last draft pick, Round 24, 235th overall, was Alfredo Aceves, on the basis that he had a chance of making the starting rotation and is always pretty solid.

Now Andrew Bailey is out for likely the majority of the season and Bobby V names Aceves closer!

Delighted, let's get some Asaves!
    That looks like a very good pick now, if he wasn't going to be a starter, he would have been in line for holds. I'm on the other end of Bobby Vs decision. I wasn't actually going to draft him when I did as I had Brian Wilson in the queue ready to go. He was picked just as I was about to pull the trigger so Bailey was the next choice at that stage of the draft. The news I'm seeing on him is a post all-star break return so I'll DL him for now and review if someone else injured. Well, I'll DL him if the Red Sox get round to sorting out there final roster.

That looks like a very good pick now, if he wasn't going to be a starter, he would have been in line for holds. I'm on the other end of Bobby Vs decision. I wasn't actually going to draft him when I did as I had Brian Wilson in the queue ready to go. He was picked just as I was about to pull the trigger so Bailey was the next choice at that stage of the draft. The news I'm seeing on him is a post all-star break return so I'll DL him for now and review if someone else injured. Well, I'll DL him if the Red Sox get round to sorting out there final roster.

Yeah I had him lined up but I didn't want to take a closer that early. It's a shame, I drafted him last year even though he was on the DL as I figured he'd have value later on. If we would have had 8 keepers I might have included him too, he was on the cusp. Hopefully (for real life, not fantasy reasons) he gets back fit for the 2nd half of the season.

Yeah I had him lined up but I didn't want to take a closer that early. It's a shame, I drafted him last year even though he was on the DL as I figured he'd have value later on. If we would have had 8 keepers I might have included him too, he was on the cusp. Hopefully (for real life, not fantasy reasons) he gets back fit for the 2nd half of the season.
    If we had 8 keepers, I would have kept Berkman and Rivera or Axford. I guess I could have picked those guys up in the draft but my biggest need was starting pitching so I had to take the best available with my first few picks. I drafted 3 other closers so I should still be competative in that category. I too hope Bailey makes speedy recovery :)

If we had 8 keepers, I would have kept Berkman and Rivera or Axford. I guess I could have picked those guys up in the draft but my biggest need was starting pitching so I had to take the best available with my first few picks. I drafted 3 other closers so I should still be competative in that category. I too hope Bailey makes speedy recovery :)

With 8 keepers I would have kept Mikes Young and Bourn, but Bailey was definitely close.

Where are all the runs tonight? I have 31 innings pitched and a 0.58 ERA so far with 23 strikeouts!

Means I also have a 0.71 AVG!! :D

With 8 keepers I would have kept Mikes Young and Bourn, but Bailey was definitely close.

Where are all the runs tonight? I have 31 innings pitched and a 0.58 ERA so far with 23 strikeouts!

Means I also have a 0.71 AVG!! :D
    Lots of aces going today with fresh arms. Think you have a few of them ;)

• Advertisement

Only 3 holds currently across the 8 teams in the league for this week. Will be interesting to see how this stat will play out over the season.

Only 3 holds currently across the 8 teams in the league for this week. Will be interesting to see how this stat will play out over the season.
    Yea, I have none and was not even close to any. I had only one position allocated to holds this week as there was only about half a schedule of games. There will probably be alot of ties in this category unless managers decides to stick in a couple of set up men. Just looking at the boxscores of the holds so far in the league and I didnt realise that a reliever can get a hold even if his team ends up losing...

Yea, I have none and was not even close to any. I had only one position allocated to holds this week as there was only about half a schedule of games. There will probably be alot of ties in this category unless managers decides to stick in a couple of set up men. Just looking at the boxscores of the holds so far in the league and I didnt realise that a reliever can get a hold even if his team ends up losing...

Looks like we both won the categories with 0 because of the minimum innings rule. That's really a shame for the other player and is scewed from the shortened week.

Question guys: In some other league I'm in, a fella dropped Mariano to the wire... am I missing something here?

Happy with how this week went in the league.
    Think I'll struggle for pitching wins though.

Question guys: In some other league I'm in, a fella dropped Mariano to the wire... am I missing something here?

Happy with how this week went in the league.
    Think I'll struggle for pitching wins though.

Looks like we both won the categories with 0 because of the minimum innings rule. That's really a shame for the other player and is scewed from the shortened week.
    Yea, I think I got lucky in the matchup as I would have lost with the final standings without the innings rule. That said I wouldn't have started Minor on Sunday had I above the innings cap.
    I dont think so! One blown save doesn't mean his career is over. While he may be starting to show signs of decline he is still a cert for 40+ saves. Get your claim in now...

Yea, I think I got lucky in the matchup as I would have lost with the final standings without the innings rule. That said I wouldn't have started Minor on Sunday had I above the innings cap.

Yeah initially I felt strange getting the win in that category but thinking about it more I realised that the rule is there and everyone knows it so it's not actually that harsh. Best to learn that lesson in week 1 than later in the season.

I dont think so! One blown save doesn't mean his career is over. While he may be starting to show signs of decline he is still a cert for 40+ saves. Get your claim in now...

Waiver processed ...wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Yeah initially I felt strange getting the win in that category but thinking about it more I realised that the rule is there and everyone knows it so it's not actually that harsh. Best to learn that lesson in week 1 than later in the season.

oh that lesson has been learned. Completely forgot about the innings rule tucked away in the bottom left of the screen. Last thing we needed was henry gettin off to a good.

Maybe 7-5 to henry had i not made the mistake but what can we do,

so in the words of George W Bush:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee - I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee - that says, fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."

• Advertisement

Waiver processed ...wtf?
    Nice one! He got a save last night aswell. I'm sure he has some trade value if someone didnt want him, managers are always looking for extra saves...

Advertisement