Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to open car with no battery

• 27-02-2021 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭

I've an 07 qasqai . I took the battery out to charge. Now a week later I can't open it with the key . Google showed something about hooking a battery charger (live) to a wire , earth to chassis. I can't find it again though. Would this work ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I assume you’re using the mechanical key in the old fashioned lock in the door?

If that’s not working, out some oil on the key and jiggle it.

Do you have the bonnet open?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I assume you’re using the mechanical key in the old fashioned lock in the door?

If that’s not working, out some oil on the key and jiggle it.

Do you have the bonnet open?

I genuinely hope they are...
    I'd agree with colm there bit of wd or penetrating fluid give it a minute then give it an aul jiggle and bit of pressure, obviously not enough to snap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,345 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'll try some penetrating oil. I cant get the bonnet open. I've poked about trying to feel for the latch with a big screwdriver but no luck. Any tips for that?

cj maxx wrote: »
    I'll try some penetrating oil. I cant get the bonnet open. I've poked about trying to feel for the latch with a big screwdriver but no luck. Any tips for that?

The mechanical barrell is probably just seized from not being used like a normal lock left outside, let soak in then give it a bash.
    I think you've to go through the grill, as far as I know enough force it'll pop right open if ya go through that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't the bonnet key lock on Fords behind the Ford badge on the front grill? It used to be on a Mk2 Focus I had years ago.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Isn't the bonnet key lock on Fords behind the Ford badge on the front grill? It used to be on a Mk2 Focus I had years ago.

Haven't a notion, quashqai is in behind the grill as far as I know.
    While we're on the topic of locks, I'd love to meet the a$$hat who removed the e90 boot lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Citroen2cv

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's a nissan quahqai.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry my brain is miles away today.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Dirty Nails

cj maxx wrote: »
    I've an 07 qasqai . I took the battery out to charge. Now a week later I can't open it with the key . Google showed something about hooking a battery charger (live) to a wire , earth to chassis. I can't find it again though. Would this work ?

Thatl'll work ok. You're aiming for the pos lead of the starter,better to use a battery or boost pack than a charger though. Because you have the battery out,you need to be cautious that the battery pos lead may be shorting to the body of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

WD40 is your answer lather it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Squirt WD40 into lock, leave to soak for 4/5 minutes and then wiggle the key, it should open. Is there a key hole in the bootlid? Try it too.

Advertisement