18-02-2021, 16:39   #76
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwexford View Post
To me the elite are the top 5 in each division kind of thing.
They are the cream of the crop, if only one person is elite then god knows what the rest of them are.

I think Khabib and Dustin are the only two I’d make favourite against him.

If an Interim is created it’s usually between the next two top guys. Not many mugs have held UFC gold.
There can be more than one elite guy in a division ,

At welter weight I think Usman & Covington are elite fighters,
Id like to see how Burns does now ,

Woodley was Elite when Usman beat him ,

I just don't see Justin as an elite fighter I never have ,he looked lost against Khabib more so than Dustin or Conor did ,

People got very excited about him about a spectacular performance against Ferguson but its hard to tell where Tony is these days,

If he comes out and beats a top guy in style again then yes i'll hold my hand ups ,
Advertisement
18-02-2021, 16:50   #77
mdwexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
I just don't see Justin as an elite fighter I never have ,he looked lost against Khabib more so than Dustin or Conor did ,

People got very excited about him about a spectacular performance against Ferguson but its hard to tell where Tony is these days,

If he comes out and beats a top guy in style again then yes i'll hold my hand ups ,
I agree he looked like a deer in the headlights vs Khabib. He normally brings the pressure but he looked completely shocked at the pressure Khabib put him under. Didn’t give him a second to breathe and all he was doing swinging for the fences.

Also agree Tony looks completely on the downgrade so that performance in hindsight may have flattered him a bit.
Thanks from:
19-02-2021, 04:56   #78
Mellor

Quote:
When I first stepped on a mat there was one in Ireland (Kavanagh) so that was the highest level of anyone in the sport ,now there most be nearly a thousand which means guys on all different levels,
There would be nowhere near 1000 black belts in ireland.
Maybe over 100, but not by much.

Quote:
He is a very very good fighter but in my opinion he is not very top tier that what I mean by " Elite"

I think there are number of light weights that beat him right now
He's lost to Khabib, Eddie and Dustin. Two LW champions and one Interim champion, who is the defacto best in the world right now.

This has come up before, I just think it's crazy to limit elite status to the absolute best 2 or 3 guys only.
Thanks from:
19-02-2021, 09:44   #79
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
There would be nowhere near 1000 black belts in ireland.
Maybe over 100, but not by much.

He's lost to Khabib, Eddie and Dustin. Two LW champions and one Interim champion, who is the defacto best in the world right now.

This has come up before, I just think it's crazy to limit elite status to the absolute best 2 or 3 guys only.
Ye a thousand was a throw away comment but you get what I mean,
I'm sure there over 100,

Maybe elite is the wrong word , but there is another level of fighter,
He is beast and a brilliant fighter and its in no way being disrespectful towards him , He is without question one of the best guys in the world but i think guys like Khabib , Dustin are level ahead, I think Oliveria beats him to ,

Again its not being disrespectful toward him , As you said he has achieved things in the sports that the majority of very good fighter never will .,
19-02-2021, 10:08   #80
Mellor

Quote:
Ye a thousand was a throw away comment but you get what I mean,
I'm sure there over 100,

Maybe elite is the wrong word , but there is another level of fighter,
I think Khabib and Dustin are a level above. No argue ever there.

There was a thread on Facebook that counted all the black belts. Was 70 or so a few years ago. 100-120 now might be right.

It’s a long way from being able to count all the blue belts in the country.
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//sho...p?t=2055015888
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-02-2021, 10:40   #81
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
I think Khabib and Dustin are a level above. No argue ever there.

There was a thread on Facebook that counted all the black belts. Was 70 or so a few years ago. 100-120 now might be right.

It’s a long way from being able to count all the blue belts in the country.
https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//sho...p?t=2055015888
Its crazy how back in 2005/6 you could do that ,also hard to believe that's 15 year ago now,
A lot of blue belts on the list are now house hold names In the BJJ and MMA community in Ireland,
19-02-2021, 11:20   #82
Mellor

Quote:
Its crazy how back in 2005/6 you could do that ,also hard to believe that's 15 year ago now,
A lot of blue belts on the list are now house hold names In the BJJ and MMA community in Ireland,
I’d be interested to see how many people in that list are now black belts.
Sone are obvious of course.
Thanks from:
20-02-2021, 00:49   #83
The Floyd p

Quote:
Woodley was on a great run Usman agave him a beat down and that changed him , Unfair to judge that fight on the Woodley we have now when Usman was the one to change him,

Covington is an absolute stud don't let his corny gimmick take that away , He was neck and neck with Usman

Woodley was on a good streak, but his constant backing up to the cage and relying on the counter showed that he was rather one dimensional.

Covington gave Usman a good scrap. Think Usman could have dominated him through superior athleticism if he elected to wrestle, though.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion