Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EA UFC 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC 4 is free for the next 3 days. Check other psn and xbox stores.

Brock was added to the game as a premium fighter. Geoff Harrower said he added an easter egg of Brock doing his infamous tumble in UFC 2 and looks like it carried over to 3 and now 4.

https://twitter.com/GeoffHarrower/status/1319329098037039104?s=19

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Havent played this in forever, played about 4 fights tonight and its still garbage. Add to that being matched with players with high ping times. Biggest waste of money in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Axwell wrote: »
    Havent played this in forever, played about 4 fights tonight and its still garbage. Add to that being matched with players with high ping times. Biggest waste of money in a long time.

Worst thing is that it only lets you quit when the ping goes above 120, when in reality, anything above 70 is a terrible gaming experience.

I’ve spent more time reloading the game than actually fighting, and then the gameplay isn’t even that great when you do get to play it.

They made an absolute balls of it lads. Half of me wants another dev to take other but then we'll be looking at years of them trying to get it right. The other half is going next one in 2ish years will be better but can't look forward to it when 4 is only out a couple of months This wouldn't be so bad if it was yearly but bi yearly for this shyte is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I didn’t even buy it this year. My 10hr trial gave me a good idea what it’d be like. Still playing UFC 3 daily.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I didn’t even buy it this year. My 10hr trial gave me a good idea what it’d be like. Still playing UFC 3 daily.

I'd love UFC 3 with the clinch from 4 and ultimate team from 2 :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd love UFC 3 with the clinch from 4 and ultimate team from 2 :)

See that would be great and to be honest id be fine with them even removing Ultimate Team from it if it was a distraction to the core development of the game. Some form of CAF and the ability to use them in their own form of tournaments and rankings etc is enough for me.

I think at this stage I would just like to see someone else come and have a go. With all their sports games EA are notorious for just churning out the same game every year with minimal updates or changes and most of the time breaking more stuff than adding new great features.

While someone else coming in would be starting from scratch and probably like you said would take a few iterations to get to the point where they had something great I do think that seeing what's been done already in the current games and what works and what doesn't gives them a good starting point.

Even better would be to see THQ and Yukes get to take over and see what they can do with it, had THQ keep going from Undisputed 3 I would love to see where the game would be at right now.

Failing that if we did have to sit through more of EA making MMA games id love to just see someone come along and develop one without the licensing and names, just make a really great MMA game and show what can be done and I am sure that UFC/Bellator/ONE etc would take notice and jump onboard.

Wow, UFC extend their deal with EA for another 10 years. EA surely can see the drop off in players this year and make a huge change in direction to where this game is going.

https://twitter.com/ZyafYT/status/1324398242256228352?s=19

Well that's disappointing, hope some other dev studio comes along and makes another MMA game at this stage as per my previous post as I wont be picking up this EA garbage again if things stay like they are.

So EA have added a new Cobor video for this weekend.... From Cobor v Dustin 1 which i think he only had that legends for 1 or 2 fights.

Haven't played this in yonks, any chance they added a fight card to play out actual events for rewards?

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSUFC/status/1352285592663547905?s=19

• Advertisement

So EA have added a new Cobor video for this weekend.... From Cobor v Dustin 1 which i think he only had that legends for 1 or 2 fights.

Haven't played this in yonks, any chance they added a fight card to play out actual events for rewards?

https://twitter.com/EASPORTSUFC/status/1352285592663547905?s=19

Nope, and even if they did at this point I still wouldn’t go back to it. Gameplay is absolutely gack, it seems to have gotten worse with patches. Went on for a few fights the last evening and what once would’ve turned into a 5-6 hour session, I turned it back off within half an hour. I got the Blitz Battles trophy which means there’s an easy platinum waiting for me but I can’t even be arsed enough to get that.

Fear not though, the inevitable fully-priced, 61 FPS PS5 upgraded version will add back in all the features they took out. I’m only half joking, it honestly wouldn’t shock me.

Haven't played this in forever and at this stage don't think there's anything that would make me bother unless they said we decided to completely scrap the game..redesigned it and released it again and you get that for free in place of this ****e we gave you to begin with...

As I said before wish I stuck to my guns on it and waited instead of getting it early on expecting them to improve on things. Won't make the mistake again and when there's talk of UFC 5 and there's a thread going we need to all remember this thread and how it turned out and not fool ourselves into expecting anything different from 5 and paying for it on EA access and digital giving them money for garbage. Unfortunately, until someone else starts to make a rival MMA game I dont see us getting anything to be excited about though.

I get the first 3 games were building it but 4 was goddamn laziness. I get they don't get the budget of fifa but 4 felt like it should have been free to play. Zero hype for 5 now but fear I'll still be getting it at launch unless a rival mma game comes but which is fairly doubtful.

Threw this on again today to check out the new update (calf kicks, harder to break blocks, more permanent stamina loss from ground transitions) and for bored after a few fights. The ground game is basically wait for the other guy to move to block/counter it and even though that's what it's basically about irl, it's so slow in the game. Geoff did some fantastic work over the years but a new ground game is needed badly.

Said I'd check out some new customisation items and owned to start a new cobra kai career with a badass gi wearing karate master. Only red or orange shaolin monk style gi which is very disappointing but it's ok thought because they have a werewolf, elf and robot costume. Jesus ****ing Christ.

I turned it off again and in a bad mood since. Just another year and half before we get another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭akelly02

this game is so bad, bitterly dissapointed

Threw this on again today

...it was at this moment I knew Zero Cool was ****ed.

Its just foolish of us to turn it on in the hopes something might magically change or improve the game at this stage. In typical EA fashion they couldn't care less, the game is out there and made some money and they just go back to what they were doing (mostly counting all their money from Ultimate team on FIFA) until its time to start considering rolling out another UFC game.

Axwell wrote: »
    ...it was at this moment I knew Zero Cool was ****ed.

Its just foolish of us to turn it on in the hopes something might magically change or improve the game at this stage. In typical EA fashion they couldn't care less, the game is out there and made some money and they just go back to what they were doing (mostly counting all their money from Ultimate team on FIFA) until its time to start considering rolling out another UFC game.

It's mad how well they fooled the press as well as the first hour or 2 of this looks good enough to get a good review, they knew it was just enough work to make some sells, awful.

Has anyone played UFC 3 lately? I'm tempted to download it again to try it. I think the big thing it's missing is the new clinch game but i could just avoid the clinch.

On paper, it sounds great though - Blitz battles, backyard brawls, amazing new (insert EA made up name here for something or other), improved clinch game..blah blah blah.

There's always enough there to dazzle and if you are playing an earlier version you assume stuff is tweaked and fixed. I remember a good few years ago I got to go over to EA in Surrey and play the new FIFA that was coming out and speak to the equivalent of Geoff. You get dazzled by being there, by getting your hands on this new game for a bit, stuff instantly is going to look and feel different because it is..but it doesn't mean its better..its just different and first impressions usually are elevated because of that. Oh yeah it feels much better, this looked so much better, this new feature is great..cant wait for the full release.

Then the full game comes out and you actually sit down and start putting hours into it and you realise oh wait, this part is actually really broken, and this stuff that was great..they have made a mess of in favour of that tiny thing they added that I thought was cool at the time..until i realised the stuff they sacrificed in favour of it. All these new modes they added..they sound cool, but wait you cant play them online, against other people...you can only play them in your gaff wth others..what is this 1995? Even now FIFA has Volta mode which is like street football, playing in basketball courts and stuff..sounded amazing when they announced it, until it came out and it was just against the AI or offline but they pretty much kept that part secret until right before it dropped.

We used to run FIFA leagues and within the game there was a whole league feature where you could setup an online league, you just added the teams and then it would do all the fixtures and leaderboards etc..then one year they just removed it completely. I remember asking him what was the reason for taking it out and he said there wasn't as a huge demand for it, and I said but it was just a mode there really for managing data it was still using the same engine and gameplay as if I was just playing someone online in any other mode. He had no argument and no real reason for taking it out, and it was a feature that plenty of communities used so it was popular enough..but the reality was they wanted to push online play towards ultimate team since that as the money maker. Remove as much of the other modes and stuff that was a distraction as possible and try drive people to Ultimate Team.

I felt UFC was going this way when they added Ultimate Team and I was completely against it as it would ruin the game going forward, thankfully they made an absolute balls of it and it flopped. But the flip side of that is because it flopped and because this is an MMA game and doesn't have the same large fan base as FIFA they probably looked at it and said oh well we tried that and it didn't work so let's just focus on tweaking what we have, adding as much gloss to it so it looks like its much improved but lets try reuse a much as we can from the previous game and tweak some of the bigger things based on feedback. Thats basically what we got and unfortunately since they got a new contract that's really what we are going to continue to get going forward until some other company decides to make an MMA game and give it some competition.

So Vettori is one of the latest fighters added but they made him him regular stance with no switch stat when in fact he's a Southpaw. Also, the challenges for UFC 258 are backwards. The 'win 5 fights as Usman' can only be completed if you play as Burns and the 'win 5 fights as Burns' can only be won as Usman. The devs don't give a single ****.

Gonna install UFC 2 later just to give it a quick try. I imagine the standup wouldn't be as smooth but interested just to see how UT single player holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

The only one of these games i ever owned was UFC 3. I thought it was great until it got to the ground game. The ground game in that was honest to god dreadful. No matter how hard i tried i think i only ever managed to get 1 or 2 submissions, and not once could i escape from a submission. Im not exaggerating when i say i have literally had an easier time pulling of submissions in real life BJJ than in fictional video game BJJ. Id play as someone like Demian Maia and manage to get a KO easier than a submission. Like wtf is up with that?? I uninstalled it out of sheer frustration after about a week. Dont think id ever bother trying another one.

• Advertisement

Gave UFC 2 another whirl, jumped into Ultimate team to see my roster of comic characters still there. Straight into Single Player championships and forgot you fight against other peoples downloaded fighters, such a great system. Anyway, we were 2 low level fighters so it felt slow and lacking moves and we couldn't ko each other. Went all 3 rounds and we were both completely bust up by the end. Bought a few packs with a ton of points I had from last time playing and unlocked some class moves.

I t was a great laugh but overall, the standup was too much of a stepback to keep going with it. Once you get used to the fluid movement of 3 and then 4, 2 seems a bit 'stuck in the mud'. It's mad to see how downhill some features went though in 3 and further in 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

Patch notes for March4th update
    Added 2 new fighters, Kevin Holland and Vicente Luque
    Added a timed delay to matchmaking if a user repeatedly does not finish online matches
    Gameplay Updates:

Clinch Knees now receive a boost when Knees Boost is active in Career
    Fixed animation issue in a specific diving punch knee on belly entry
    Community Feedback:

Updated Michael Chandler’s nickname to “Iron” Michael Chandler
    Osoto-Gari is no longer available to Created Fighters
    Slipping strikes are now slower while rocked
    Significantly increased effect of Grapple Advantage on Takedowns

Decreased denial window for the low single takedown
    Takedown denials now drain 20% more permanent stamina from the attacker
    Fixed animation issue in the early denial of the open stance single leg
    Added damage for the following slams:
    Kimbo Slam (right turn from cage single leg)

Double Leg Slam from Cage Single Leg (left turn from cage single leg)
    Cage Bodylock Slam (left turn from cage double leg)
    Slowed down the advancing switch kick
    Body knees and frontal kicks can no longer be evaded by head movement
    Slowed down back side posture fakes and made the animation more readable
    Slowed down lead overhand combos
    Special counter from Side Saddle to North South now requires a large stamina advantage

Fixed issue with jab – body side kick combo not working with “mixed movement”, such using one strike advancing and another stationary.
    Fixed a brief “freezing” animation issue when trying to walk and sway after a slipping straight
    Significantly slowed down jab – handplant kick combo

God this game actually is such garbage..decided after UFC 259 I might throw it on and have a few fights and see if anything had changed. Never really bothered with online championships so I go to that as blitz battles was something stupid and not worth doing.

Instantly I'm reminded that if you decide to use your created fighter online you have to choose one of the dumb presets, you cant actually give your created fighter the actual moves you want to use..who thought that was a good idea!?

I have a few fights and I am winning them just taking my time, focusing on stamina and boxing and not rushing things. I am a bit rusty anyways having not played in ages..because it decides what division you are fighting in I'm forced to pick fighters rather than pick whatever division I want to use..again another great idea. I end up getting a few submission victories and I'm thinking hmm has something changed, is this game actually playable..NOPE.

I move up a few divisions and the crucifix spammers are out in force, every takedown is constant attempts to transition to side mount, crucifix and spam the punches. If its not that its the fact that the game seems to just randomly decide if you are gonna get knocked out or rocked...I'm landing punches and just damaging the guy, we trade and he lands the same punches I do and I'm rocked..not caught mid punch or sidestepped..just a standard punch to the face. Same on the ground, they have me in full mount and they hit me 3 times and I'm ko'd..I can be on top and raining down punches while they it there with no stamina and somehow they don't get rocked.. it's extremely inconsistent and infuriating to play.

It's actually such a step backwards from 3 in every way..like I said previously I don't know how they turn the game around at all if they keep delivering this sort of garbage for the foresee and I can only imagine the following for it dwindle from whats already probably not a huge amount of sales so there's no incentive for them to even bother.

Started a thread for the new boxing game coming out eSports Boxing Club. Looking good so far but no idea when it will be out. Huge roster so far with some kickboxers added and even Cris Cyborg! I much prefer mma to boxing but I'll take any combat sports game over UFC 4. Pity i can't play any of the fight nights on ps5. I played a small bit of fight night champion on ps3 a few years back but my joypas would double input button press so couldn't play properly.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058175185/1/#post116794579

Started a thread for the new boxing game coming out eSports Boxing Club. Looking good so far but no idea when it will be out. Huge roster so far with some kickboxers added and even Cris Cyborg! I much prefer mma to boxing but I'll take any combat sports game over UFC 4. Pity i can't play any of the fight nights on ps5. I played a small bit of fight night champion on ps3 a few years back but my joypas would double input button press so couldn't play properly.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058175185/1/#post116794579

The gameplay looks pretty solid in that, even if licensing is weak (it could never have been anything else in fairness).

If it’s well received, it might get EA to pull their finger out at least.

New patch adding Rob Font and Cyril Gane. More importantly, Venum kits added and you finally choose your kit/colour in the fighter select screen.

https://www.ea.com/games/ufc/ufc-4/news/ufc-4-patch-notes-10

I'm guessing the reason they didn't have the option with Reebok is because they they'd be switching.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I'm guessing the reason they didn't have the option with Reebok is because they they'd be switching.

Most likely but a pretty lame reason if the case, not bothering to put the ability into swap kits because 8 months after the release you will be changing sponsor and will add it then..just lazy along with no PS5 version update while FIFA and Madden got one.

I've actually been playing a fair bit recently. Enjoying it a bit more now since it scratches my Fifa itch.
    But its defo a step down compared to last year.

• Advertisement

Very strangely, director Brian Hayes is doing a livestream tonight at 8pm our time with live q&a. Unless he's announcing a new game, it should be a disaster. Will be tuning in to see anyway.

Advertisement