Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wireless ear phones for running

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I bought the Aeropex. Just have a question about the battery.

It says I should get 8hrs out of them before having to charge again.

Charged them up fully on Sunday. Ran for 45mins on Tuesday, 1hr20mins on Thursday and 2hrs yesterday. Yesterday, towards the end of the run I could hear a faint voice from the headphones. I couldn't make out what was being said, but I gather 'low battery'. I checked the battery and I could have sworn it said 20% left. I checked it about 10mins later to see it was saying 40% left. The intermittent interruption from the headphones continued until I got home. Checked them then and it was still saying 40%

So, 4hrs 05mins has used up 60% of my battery power, probably more considering it was on 40% for about the last 25mins of the run.

Does that seem right? The maths probably does work out, but just want to be sure.

The little reminder about the battery running low is relatively subtle and it is helpful I suppose but it is also oddly irritating at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

I just got the Jabra Elite Active 75T (these ones).

I think they're great, to be honest. Haven't done anything too fast in them yet, but no problem at all with them falling out so far on runs.

I have the 65t ones and love them. I've done long runs (50km ish) and short fast ones (all out sprinting for 10km) and never have issues with them. I think once or twice on a lockdown run, I was doing a slow 40km on a small loop often and listening to a great book (His Dark Materials, wow that's amazing) and the left ear bud stopped working but that's the only issue I can ever recall after two years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

My cheap and cheerful wireless earphones, gave up the ghost last sunday during my rain filled long run. Have to say amazon (post brexit) refunded the price €20 straight away, once An Post scanned the return label on the package.

So I ordered a set of JBL earphones (€35) as they were waterproof with an over ear hook from a local retail store and picked them up on Monday. Folks, avoid them like the plague, as the 'touch' sensitive controls are just awful. The volume control was impossible, songs skipped or restarted and the volume didn't change at all. It's a pity as they were comfortable and the sound was OK, had them less than 8hrs when during a dog walk my woolly hat changed track as it rested on them, so back to the store.

Friendly young fella told me to try the Jabra elite 65t (€79) even with my reservations about them slipping out, but he told me to try them and see how I got on. Left popped out on first run, so used the largest ear buds to see if that improved their fit, but too sore. Second run using them with my watch (garmin 645, left wrist) was ridiculous as they kept disconnecting for the entire run and so they have now been returned too.

At a loss now, but I reckon true wireless is a non starter particularly if they don't have an ear hook. Wanted to try on a pair of the aftershokz but they didn't have any. I really want a 'premium' brand as the cheaper ones tend to last jig time but you'd get 15 of them for the price of a beats pro true wireless.

€100 is the max I'd pay, need to be waterproof and have over ear hooks, just can't trust any other type. Leaning towards the aftershokz, so are they good? or indeed any other recommendations. They will only be used for running and sound quality is not a deal breaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    My cheap and cheerful wireless earphones, gave up the ghost last sunday during my rain filled long run. Have to say amazon (post brexit) refunded the price €20 straight away, once An Post scanned the return label on the package.

So I ordered a set of JBL earphones (€35) as they were waterproof with an over ear hook from a local retail store and picked them up on Monday. Folks, avoid them like the plague, as the 'touch' sensitive controls are just awful. The volume control was impossible, songs skipped or restarted and the volume didn't change at all. It's a pity as they were comfortable and the sound was OK, had them less than 8hrs when during a dog walk my woolly hat changed track as it rested on them, so back to the store.

Friendly young fella told me to try the Jabra elite 65t (€79) even with my reservations about them slipping out, but he told me to try them and see how I got on. Left popped out on first run, so used the largest ear buds to see if that improved their fit, but too sore. Second run using them with my watch (garmin 645, left wrist) was ridiculous as they kept disconnecting for the entire run and so they have now been returned too.

At a loss now, but I reckon true wireless is a non starter particularly if they don't have an ear hook. Wanted to try on a pair of the aftershokz but they didn't have any. I really want a 'premium' brand as the cheaper ones tend to last jig time but you'd get 15 of them for the price of a beats pro true wireless.

€100 is the max I'd pay, need to be waterproof and have over ear hooks, just can't trust any other type. Leaning towards the aftershokz, so are they good? or indeed any other recommendations. They will only be used for running and sound quality is not a deal breaker.

That's odd, I've never had issues with the Jabra's falling out. Have Fenix 5 which doesn't support bluetooth audio so no experience there (but fine when connected to the phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Had to Jabra too, kept falling out no matter what bud I used with them. Bought the aftershokx aeropex and hands down the best earphones I ever got. Not within your 100e budget but you could find a bargain online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I got the aftershokz air ( I think ) they are the mid price ones € 119 . I love them - have no problems - they sit very nicely. You can still hear traffic which is great. I love mine so much I tend to wear them in the house as my go to earphones over my Sony over-ear ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Highly recommend Bose Soundsport if you can stretch your budget a bit (€125 - https://www.bose.ie/en_ie/products/headphones/earbuds/soundsport-wireless.html#v=soundsport_wireless_black)

They come with 3 different size ear inserts to fit, and a handy little adjustable clip on the back so the cable between the two buds isn’t flapping around constantly.

I bought mine 3 years ago and couldn’t recommend them enough. I did have a minor Bluetooth connection issue after about a year and when I contacted support they just sent me a brand new set as it was covered under warranty. Haven’t had any issues since and would use them very regularly in all types of weather on short and long runs.

Haven’t tried any of the others on this thread but it definitely pays to spend a bit more on quality if you’re going to be regularly using them than cheap pairs.

Edit: just realised you are looking for over ear hooks so these may not suit but I find them very comfortable and secure.

Cheers folks, thanks for all the replies. Looks like the aftershokz are edging ahead, never imagined I'd wear something like that but the reviews seem to be good.

That's odd, I've never had issues with the Jabra's falling out. Have Fenix 5 which doesn't support bluetooth audio so no experience there (but fine when connected to the phone)

Mine were grand with my phone, but during my interval run today using just my watch, they kept disconnecting.
    Had to Jabra too, kept falling out no matter what bud I used with them. Bought the aftershokx aeropex and hands down the best earphones I ever got. Not within your 100e budget but you could find a bargain online

What do you get for the extra 'buck', the air version is €99 but is bluetooth 4.2 not 5, if that makes a difference.
    lulublue22 wrote: »
    I got the aftershokz air ( I think ) they are the mid price ones € 119 . I love them - have no problems - they sit very nicely. You can still hear traffic which is great. I love mine so much I tend to wear them in the house as my go to earphones over my Sony over-ear ones.

€99 in HN's How distracting is traffic noise, I asked this elsewhere but I'd love to hear firsthand from someone using them. I tend to run on paths here in Swords so they can get noisy, can you still hear music/podcasts alright?
    Highly recommend Bose Soundsport if you can stretch your budget a bit (€125 - https://www.bose.ie/en_ie/products/headphones/earbuds/soundsport-wireless.html#v=soundsport_wireless_black)

They come with 3 different size ear inserts to fit, and a handy little adjustable clip on the back so the cable between the two buds isn’t flapping around constantly.

I bought mine 3 years ago and couldn’t recommend them enough. I did have a minor Bluetooth connection issue after about a year and when I contacted support they just sent me a brand new set as it was covered under warranty. Haven’t had any issues since and would use them very regularly in all types of weather on short and long runs.

Haven’t tried any of the others on this thread but it definitely pays to spend a bit more on quality if you’re going to be regularly using them than cheap pairs.

Edit: just realised you are looking for over ear hooks so these may not suit but I find them very comfortable and secure.

I could handle these dropping out seeing as a cable will hold them from hitting the ground, so question, how long before you began to trust that they wouldn't fall out. I found the true wireless Jabra's very distracting as I just didn't trust them and the left one always felt as if it was going to make a break for freedom.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

€99 in HN's How distracting is traffic noise, I asked this elsewhere but I'd love to hear firsthand from someone using them. I tend to run on paths here in Swords so they can get noisy, can you still hear music/podcasts alright?

For music you'll probably be fine with hearing it over any traffic noise. For podcasts it's a bit trickier as your brain needs to more clearly hear what is being said, but there are only a couple of places on my runs where I can't hear the podcasts totally clearly so pause playback for short sections.

One bit is a footpath directly beside an 8 lane motorway with only a cable fence between me and the road and similar on the other side between me and 100meter drop into the ocean. You'd literally need to be running down the central reservation of the M50 to replicate the noise levels along any road in Ireland so I doubt any of your running routes would be that noisy.
    The other section of any of my runs is similar along a footpath beside a dual carriageway where they would be driving 60mph, although the limit is 50mph, and that is only too noisy when the road is wet and there are a load of lorries going past.

99% of my routes around and through my city are perfectly fine for hearing the podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Cheers folks, thanks for all the replies. Looks like the aftershokz are edging ahead, never imagined I'd wear something like that but the reviews seem to be good.

Mine were grand with my phone, but during my interval run today using just my watch, they kept disconnecting.

What do you get for the extra 'buck', the air version is €99 but is bluetooth 4.2 not 5, if that makes a difference.

I could handle these dropping out seeing as a cable will hold them from hitting the ground, so question, how long before you began to trust that they wouldn't fall out. I found the true wireless Jabra's very distracting as I just didn't trust them and the left one always felt as if it was going to make a break for freedom.

I would echo what Robinph says - It’s only in very heavy constant traffic that I have an issue and most of my runs are fine. Though I only rarely listen to podcasts so I can’t say much about that.
    I was concerned re same prior to buying them but I genuinely love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I have the Aftershoz Titanium, great for podcasts but don't be expecting miracles for decent audio quality for music.

Wind or loud traffic can drown them out momentarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have the Beats Powerbeats Pro...can't fault them. Only tend to use them for runs around the 90mins plus mark on the roads. Sunday evening road runs are tedious. Daytime I will get into local park which is far more interesting and no need for music/podcasts.

Went ahead and ordered the Powerbeats (4) high performance earphones myself, as they are roughly the same price as the aftershokz aeropex. Based my choice on reviews I read online and a personal preference for earhook in-ear earphones. Will post back with a personal review of them. I just couldn't get over the whole idea of outside noise with the aftershokz, it's a pity that HN didn't have any stock that I could try.

The gas thing is, I'm probably going to go through 3 or 4 pairs of runners this year doing the Ray Darcy Marathon Challenge and not bat an eyelid, but I treated picking earphones like getting a root canal. Spending what is decent runner money on earphones, is not crazy as I once thought, but actually logical considering on how much use I will get from them, much more in fact then a pair of runners.

Went ahead and ordered the Powerbeats (4) high performance earphones myself, as they are roughly the same price as the aftershokz aeropex. Based my choice on reviews I read online and a personal preference for earhook in-ear earphones. Will post back with a personal review of them. I just couldn't get over the whole idea of outside noise with the aftershokz, it's a pity that HN didn't have any stock that I could try.

I bought the Aeropex a little over a month ago and I really wanted to love them but they have the worst battery life I've ever experienced in a pair of headphones. I don't know whether I just got a dud pair but am dealing with Aftershockz at the moment and I'm quite shocked (:pac:) by some of the data they have come back to me with.

Have requested a refund so will see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I bought a pair of Jlab jbuds air in ear sports true wireless earphones and could not fault them especially using their cloud foam ear tips.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3248106/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7C50000616%7CHeadphones+and+earphones%7C50000617/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000617%7CWireless+headphones%7C50000622.htm

I use them for everything with zero issues, trail running, cycling, in the car and even for zoom and Microsoft office calls, wearing them most of the day to be honest and the wife has now bought a pair also. Like you I needed the over ear hook also.

I bought mine as per link in Argos but my wife got hers cheaper in littlewoods

the kelt wrote: »
    I bought a pair of Jlab jbuds air in ear sports true wireless earphones and could not fault them especially using their cloud foam ear tips.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3248106/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/c_2/3%7C50000616%7CHeadphones+and+earphones%7C50000617/c_3/4%7Ccat_50000617%7CWireless+headphones%7C50000622.htm

I use them for everything with zero issues, trail running, cycling, in the car and even for zoom and Microsoft office calls, wearing them most of the day to be honest and the wife has now bought a pair also. Like you I needed the over ear hook also.

I bought mine as per link in Argos but my wife got hers cheaper in littlewoods

What's the longest you've gotten out of them for running? I'm not a fast runner so need to get 5hrs in one run out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    What's the longest you've gotten out of them for running? I'm not a fast runner so need to get 5hrs in one run out of them

Longest I’ve used them in between putting them back in the case has been 3 hrs with no issues

The official blurb says 6 hrs battery life and additional 34 hrs from the case, no idea how accurate that is really.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭LastFridayNight

Herself uses One Sonic earbuds and is very happy with them. They are an Irish brand so worth a look.

I use platronics backbeat myself, and mostly happy. Very solid and reliable and 5hr plus battery. Not the best sound running into wind, and certainly not an audiophile sound in any event, but can’t complain for price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,941 ✭✭✭✭event

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I bought the Aeropex a little over a month ago and I really wanted to love them but they have the worst battery life I've ever experienced in a pair of headphones. I don't know whether I just got a dud pair but am dealing with Aftershockz at the moment and I'm quite shocked (:pac:) by some of the data they have come back to me with.

Have requested a refund so will see how that goes

How long have you gotten from them?

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    How long have you gotten from them?

On a full charge I got 4hrs 10mins. However that was split over 3 days. I presume that makes a bit of a difference, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference though, right?

Tuesday I used them for 1hr 21mins, Thursday for 1hr 34mins and they died on Saturday about 1hr 15mins into a run.

What I'm quite surprised about is that Aftershockz are saying that for the 8hrs battery life, the headphones should be used at 68% volume, indoors and in a temperature of 25deg. That's a bit unrealistic. Don't need 8hrs of battery life anyway, would be happy with 6. 4 is ridiculous for the guts of 200eur tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The gas thing is, I'm probably going to go through 3 or 4 pairs of runners this year doing the Ray Darcy Marathon Challenge and not bat an eyelid, but I treated picking earphones like getting a root canal. Spending what is decent runner money on earphones, is not crazy as I once thought, but actually logical considering on how much use I will get from them, much more in fact then a pair of runners.

That's true. I spent £220.00 on Beats Pro in Sept 19. Since then I have gone through 3 pairs of Hokas Cliftons at £110.00 a pop and will go through another 2 pair this year.

But I can use the earphones anywhere while travelling or running and they will last me for a good few years I would hope.

I bought these back in around 2015 based on a review in runners mag
    https://www.66audio.com/bts-bluetooth-sports-headphones
    (there is an updated version of them here for $60 - https://www.66audio.com/sport/buy)

I absolutely loved them. Chunky, but were wonderful.
    Eventually upgraded to the Pro Voice version - https://www.66audio.com/pro-voice ($99)
    Still the best bluetooth headphones I've ever used, but never see them recommended anywhere.
    The only downfall for me is the size. They are chunky, so difficult to wear with a hat

But they're very light, the sound is excellent, battery is phenomenal, and comfort is top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JY5GC29/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_BZRYR6W9DTRDT7JBHDKW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

These are decent, little bit bassy and if you keep an eye on them can be got for about €25

Feedback on my new Powerbeats 4 earphones. I've done two runs with them, one connected to my phone and one connected to my Garmin 645 watch.

No problem connecting to my phone, watch or laptop and just placing them within inches of herself's iPad connected it automatically, so any one with an iPhone or Apple laptop will have no problems.

They are as comfortable as I've seen on reviews, they do let in some background sounds so not noise isolating in any way, but I didn't want that. The buttons are very easy to use, one on either side and the 'B' on the right side is used to pause and answer calls etc. One caveat, I noticed that the volume control didn't work with my Garmin watch, which really annoyed me, but a quick google said that with the new firmware update (which I was prompted to download 24hrs later) solved this and it did.

The sound quality is better than any earphones I've had, again the caveat is that I really only had cheap and cheerful earphones up to now. The sound quality wasn't that bad on them, it's just now I realise how much better the Powerbeats are.

One thing that does annoy me is the length of the charging cable, it's tiny (a couple of inches) but loads of Apple cables in the house. This may be a problem for some, but with the battery life being excellent (app on phone tells you to the %) it shouldn't be a reason not to buy them. They claim a quick 5min charge will get you a hours life, which is good to know.

So the €149 question, are they worth the money...well I'm going to have to say ask me in a year or two and see if they survive. They are comfortable and the sound is really good, today's run with just music played from my watch had me singing along and podcasts sounded really good with a 'tennis match' conversation going on in my ears.

As I said in an earlier post, I decided that while cheap and cheerful is grand, I came to realise that spending good runner money (so around €150) really makes sense for a good pair of earphones, I use them more often than runners, dog walks, shopping etc as well as running; so for me they are a good purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jjoncik

Mifo o5 is good enough. IPX 67 waterproof, 6 hours battery life on 100% volume, in case 100 hours extra. Cost about 90 euros. I see earbuds.ie has on sale now for 80: https://www.earbuds.ie/mifo-05-plus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Feedback on my new Powerbeats 4 earphones. I've done two runs with them, one connected to my phone and one connected to my Garmin 645 watch.

No problem connecting to my phone, watch or laptop and just placing them within inches of herself's iPad connected it automatically, so any one with an iPhone or Apple laptop will have no problems.

They are as comfortable as I've seen on reviews, they do let in some background sounds so not noise isolating in any way, but I didn't want that. The buttons are very easy to use, one on either side and the 'B' on the right side is used to pause and answer calls etc. One caveat, I noticed that the volume control didn't work with my Garmin watch, which really annoyed me, but a quick google said that with the new firmware update (which I was prompted to download 24hrs later) solved this and it did.

The sound quality is better than any earphones I've had, again the caveat is that I really only had cheap and cheerful earphones up to now. The sound quality wasn't that bad on them, it's just now I realise how much better the Powerbeats are.

One thing that does annoy me is the length of the charging cable, it's tiny (a couple of inches) but loads of Apple cables in the house. This may be a problem for some, but with the battery life being excellent (app on phone tells you to the %) it shouldn't be a reason not to buy them. They claim a quick 5min charge will get you a hours life, which is good to know.

So the €149 question, are they worth the money...well I'm going to have to say ask me in a year or two and see if they survive. They are comfortable and the sound is really good, today's run with just music played from my watch had me singing along and podcasts sounded really good with a 'tennis match' conversation going on in my ears.

As I said in an earlier post, I decided that while cheap and cheerful is grand, I came to realise that spending good runner money (so around €150) really makes sense for a good pair of earphones, I use them more often than runners, dog walks, shopping etc as well as running; so for me they are a good purchase.

Thinking of buying these. Which garmin watch are you using as I want to make sure my 645 would have the necessary firmware upgrade to use volume?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

I use the JLab JBuds Air Sport for running. No complaints- good battery life & decent sound. About e60/e70 range.

Down South wrote: »
    Thinking of buying these. Which garmin watch are you using as I want to make sure my 645 would have the necessary firmware upgrade to use volume?

Using a Garmin 645 too, the software update is for the earphones, you'll get the prompt on the beats app and once downloaded volume control is available. The sound quality is really good, but as I said I've only been using cheap and cheerful earphones prior to buying them. They connect automatically to the last device you used them with, so you will have to go into the watch settings to connect to them, if like me they are normally connected to your phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 clemop

So a year later and I'm considering a pair of Powerbeats 4 for use with a Garmin. Are you still happy with them?

Advertisement