Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-12-2020, 21:14   #46
Whelo79
Registered User
 
Whelo79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,503
SBG Charlestown vs SBG HQ in the upcoming W2W, The Battle of Dublin. Applications are open.

Nice spin on it, but it does take some of the comfort that many participants find from fighting against someone they've known and trained with from day 1.
Whelo79 is offline  
Advertisement
14-12-2020, 09:23   #47
u2fanatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelo79 View Post
SBG Charlestown vs SBG HQ in the upcoming W2W, The Battle of Dublin. Applications are open.

Nice spin on it, but it does take some of the comfort that many participants find from fighting against someone they've known and trained with from day 1.
Is this running off the current programme or are they taking applications for a new one..?
u2fanatic is offline  
14-12-2020, 11:34   #48
Mellor
Registered User
 
Mellor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 35,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2fanatic View Post
Is this running off the current programme or are they taking applications for a new one..?
I’m not sure what you mean by programme.
But each edition of W2W is new applications.
Mellor is offline  
14-12-2020, 11:51   #49
u2fanatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
I’m not sure what you mean by programme.
But each edition of W2W is new applications.
I was just wondering if they were still training the people that were already doing it pre lockdown or opening up new applications..
u2fanatic is offline  
14-12-2020, 12:02   #50
LollipopJimmy
Registered User
 
LollipopJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2fanatic View Post
I was just wondering if they were still training the people that were already doing it pre lockdown or opening up new applications..
The pre lockdown people had their fight when restrictions eased in September

Last edited by LollipopJimmy; 14-12-2020 at 12:26.
LollipopJimmy is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2020, 12:25   #51
Whelo79
Registered User
 
Whelo79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2fanatic View Post
I was just wondering if they were still training the people that were already doing it pre lockdown or opening up new applications..
Yeah it's a completely new series, open to applications for all.
Whelo79 is offline  
Thanks from:
30-12-2020, 12:13   #52
Clint01
Registered User
 
Clint01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Hello, I have signed up for the trial at the end of Feb. Never had a fight in my life. Never had the confidence. Can anyone offer more detail on the final fight night please?
Clint01 is offline  
Thanks from:
30-12-2020, 13:14   #53
Whelo79
Registered User
 
Whelo79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint01 View Post
Hello, I have signed up for the trial at the end of Feb. Never had a fight in my life. Never had the confidence. Can anyone offer more detail on the final fight night please?
Congratulations on signing up, it's a great experience. There will be many people in the same situation as yourself so don't be worried.

What they generally do for the fight night is match people up with someone of equal capabilities from their observations in training and getting to know everyone. I'm sure this one will be the same with John, Owen and the other coaches working together to make the matches. The last thing they want to see is complete mismatch fights or someone getting hurt. From my experience not everyone is guaranteed to get a fight (90% usually do).

The fight itself will probably be 3x3 minute rounds. You get a mixture of everything from quick finishes to 3 rounds of good entertainment. The refs will stop fights VERY early if some is looking in trouble (couple of heavy unanswered blows while standing or a few clean ground and pound strikes).

While the thought of a fight at the end can be really exciting, you realise afterwards (or even during the 20 weeks) that the fight is really irrelevant and it is really all about the journey from beginning to end. Learning new skills, getting into positive healthy routines, developing a bond with your fellow warriors, growing in confidence and most of all having a really fun time while you get fit.

Feel free to ask any questions in here. There area few posters floating about who have taken part in various seasons of it who will gladly share information.
Whelo79 is offline  
Thanks from:
30-12-2020, 13:17   #54
Fade Into You
Registered User
 
Fade Into You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 43
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get it in the post, but it's been a while since I've signed up.
Fade Into You is offline  
Advertisement
04-01-2021, 21:58   #55
Clint01
Registered User
 
Clint01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelo79 View Post
Congratulations on signing up, it's a great experience. There will be many people in the same situation as yourself so don't be worried.

What they generally do for the fight night is match people up with someone of equal capabilities from their observations in training and getting to know everyone. I'm sure this one will be the same with John, Owen and the other coaches working together to make the matches. The last thing they want to see is complete mismatch fights or someone getting hurt. From my experience not everyone is guaranteed to get a fight (90% usually do).

The fight itself will probably be 3x3 minute rounds. You get a mixture of everything from quick finishes to 3 rounds of good entertainment. The refs will stop fights VERY early if some is looking in trouble (couple of heavy unanswered blows while standing or a few clean ground and pound strikes).

While the thought of a fight at the end can be really exciting, you realise afterwards (or even during the 20 weeks) that the fight is really irrelevant and it is really all about the journey from beginning to end. Learning new skills, getting into positive healthy routines, developing a bond with your fellow warriors, growing in confidence and most of all having a really fun time while you get fit.

Feel free to ask any questions in here. There area few posters floating about who have taken part in various seasons of it who will gladly share information.
Thanks very much for all of the above info. Appreciate it. Hopefully it goes ahead with the restrictions. They have pushed it out till end of Feb hoping they will be able to run it.
Clint01 is offline  
23-01-2021, 02:41   #56
YoYo2021
Registered User
 
YoYo2021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
I applied for this and I have my call with them next week, honestly I can't wait. I have always wanted to do either boxing or MMA and just thought that I was too old.

Growing up I played Soccer to a decent enough level but after i went to college all the sport stopped. Before lockdown I would go to the gym about 4 times a week but my diet has really held me back, its not that I eat bad foods but more than I don't get enough calories. I'm hoping that this.

I really hope i get the chance to do this. If there's anyone that has competed in this before I would appreciate advice to give me the best chance to get selected
YoYo2021 is offline  
23-01-2021, 09:14   #57
Whelo79
Registered User
 
Whelo79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo2021 View Post
I really hope i get the chance to do this. If there's anyone that has competed in this before I would appreciate advice to give me the best chance to get selected
Work your bollox off in the try out. Give everything you have, 100% effort and don't give up. If there is something you can't do, push yourself to give it your best effort.

They are not looking for the biggest, baddest, strongest people, they want people who show commitment and desire.

I've seen people walk out the door 20 minutes into the try out. Lads and ladies who were overweight, unfit and really struggled with all the workouts continuously get selected because they put in the effort, and I've seen super fit people not get it because they cruised through the try outs without really exerting themselves. Give 100% in everything you are asked to do and you should be good.

I heard John and Owen say there are over 400 applicants so competition may be tough. A small few won't show up and another small few will quit at stage one. I'm guessing there may only be 30-40 participants allowed per gym.
Whelo79 is offline  
23-01-2021, 10:31   #58
LollipopJimmy
Registered User
 
LollipopJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4,800
There will be bags beside the mats for vomit. If you vomit, wipe your mouth and get back at it
LollipopJimmy is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet