13-12-2020, 21:14   #46
Whelo79

SBG Charlestown vs SBG HQ in the upcoming W2W, The Battle of Dublin. Applications are open.

Nice spin on it, but it does take some of the comfort that many participants find from fighting against someone they've known and trained with from day 1.
Advertisement
14-12-2020, 09:23   #47
u2fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelo79 View Post
SBG Charlestown vs SBG HQ in the upcoming W2W, The Battle of Dublin. Applications are open.

Nice spin on it, but it does take some of the comfort that many participants find from fighting against someone they've known and trained with from day 1.
Is this running off the current programme or are they taking applications for a new one..?
14-12-2020, 11:34   #48
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2fanatic View Post
Is this running off the current programme or are they taking applications for a new one..?
I’m not sure what you mean by programme.
But each edition of W2W is new applications.
14-12-2020, 11:51   #49
u2fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post
I’m not sure what you mean by programme.
But each edition of W2W is new applications.
I was just wondering if they were still training the people that were already doing it pre lockdown or opening up new applications..
14-12-2020, 12:02   #50
LollipopJimmy

Quote:
I was just wondering if they were still training the people that were already doing it pre lockdown or opening up new applications..
The pre lockdown people had their fight when restrictions eased in September

Last edited by LollipopJimmy; 14-12-2020 at 12:26.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
14-12-2020, 12:25   #51
Whelo79

Quote:
Yeah it's a completely new series, open to applications for all.
Thanks from:
30-12-2020, 12:13   #52
Clint01

Hello, I have signed up for the trial at the end of Feb. Never had a fight in my life. Never had the confidence. Can anyone offer more detail on the final fight night please?
Thanks from:
30-12-2020, 13:14   #53
Whelo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint01 View Post
Hello, I have signed up for the trial at the end of Feb. Never had a fight in my life. Never had the confidence. Can anyone offer more detail on the final fight night please?
Congratulations on signing up, it's a great experience. There will be many people in the same situation as yourself so don't be worried.

What they generally do for the fight night is match people up with someone of equal capabilities from their observations in training and getting to know everyone. I'm sure this one will be the same with John, Owen and the other coaches working together to make the matches. The last thing they want to see is complete mismatch fights or someone getting hurt. From my experience not everyone is guaranteed to get a fight (90% usually do).

The fight itself will probably be 3x3 minute rounds. You get a mixture of everything from quick finishes to 3 rounds of good entertainment. The refs will stop fights VERY early if some is looking in trouble (couple of heavy unanswered blows while standing or a few clean ground and pound strikes).

While the thought of a fight at the end can be really exciting, you realise afterwards (or even during the 20 weeks) that the fight is really irrelevant and it is really all about the journey from beginning to end. Learning new skills, getting into positive healthy routines, developing a bond with your fellow warriors, growing in confidence and most of all having a really fun time while you get fit.

Feel free to ask any questions in here. There area few posters floating about who have taken part in various seasons of it who will gladly share information.
Thanks from:
30-12-2020, 13:17   #54
Fade Into You

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get it in the post, but it's been a while since I've signed up.
Advertisement
04-01-2021, 21:58   #55
Clint01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelo79 View Post
Congratulations on signing up, it's a great experience. There will be many people in the same situation as yourself so don't be worried.

What they generally do for the fight night is match people up with someone of equal capabilities from their observations in training and getting to know everyone. I'm sure this one will be the same with John, Owen and the other coaches working together to make the matches. The last thing they want to see is complete mismatch fights or someone getting hurt. From my experience not everyone is guaranteed to get a fight (90% usually do).

The fight itself will probably be 3x3 minute rounds. You get a mixture of everything from quick finishes to 3 rounds of good entertainment. The refs will stop fights VERY early if some is looking in trouble (couple of heavy unanswered blows while standing or a few clean ground and pound strikes).

While the thought of a fight at the end can be really exciting, you realise afterwards (or even during the 20 weeks) that the fight is really irrelevant and it is really all about the journey from beginning to end. Learning new skills, getting into positive healthy routines, developing a bond with your fellow warriors, growing in confidence and most of all having a really fun time while you get fit.

Feel free to ask any questions in here. There area few posters floating about who have taken part in various seasons of it who will gladly share information.
Thanks very much for all of the above info. Appreciate it. Hopefully it goes ahead with the restrictions. They have pushed it out till end of Feb hoping they will be able to run it.
23-01-2021, 02:41   #56
YoYo2021

I applied for this and I have my call with them next week, honestly I can't wait. I have always wanted to do either boxing or MMA and just thought that I was too old.

Growing up I played Soccer to a decent enough level but after i went to college all the sport stopped. Before lockdown I would go to the gym about 4 times a week but my diet has really held me back, its not that I eat bad foods but more than I don't get enough calories. I'm hoping that this.

I really hope i get the chance to do this. If there's anyone that has competed in this before I would appreciate advice to give me the best chance to get selected
23-01-2021, 09:14   #57
Whelo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo2021 View Post
I really hope i get the chance to do this. If there's anyone that has competed in this before I would appreciate advice to give me the best chance to get selected
Work your bollox off in the try out. Give everything you have, 100% effort and don't give up. If there is something you can't do, push yourself to give it your best effort.

They are not looking for the biggest, baddest, strongest people, they want people who show commitment and desire.

I've seen people walk out the door 20 minutes into the try out. Lads and ladies who were overweight, unfit and really struggled with all the workouts continuously get selected because they put in the effort, and I've seen super fit people not get it because they cruised through the try outs without really exerting themselves. Give 100% in everything you are asked to do and you should be good.

I heard John and Owen say there are over 400 applicants so competition may be tough. A small few won't show up and another small few will quit at stage one. I'm guessing there may only be 30-40 participants allowed per gym.
23-01-2021, 10:31   #58
LollipopJimmy

There will be bags beside the mats for vomit. If you vomit, wipe your mouth and get back at it

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion