18-09-2020, 08:55   #16
coL

Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
i see you listed risks, but what about mitigation measures

- Swim Wetsuit (bouyancy in case of injury or emergency helps you float)
- Wet Bag or Toe Line Bag (again bouyancy in case of injury or emergency helps you float)

I use both and tbh it makes everything much easier and also safer.
I use both myself and would rarely swim without either.

I had included equipment with water temp thinking it might slot in there but it prob deserves an entry of its own.
Advertisement
18-09-2020, 09:04   #17
coL

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiRon View Post
No wetsuit, just left a bite mark on his chest, was in the middle of the English channel. Haven't heard of something like that happening since.
Again not to scaremonger, but another friend of mine got bitten by something on the face training at the beach, ended up going to the tropical diseases clinic to get the infection resolved, left a scar on his face.
I don't like the sound of that at all!!! And of all the places for it to happen the middle of the English channel has to be one of the worst.

Another question I was unable to answer was is there any additional risk from being in deep(er) water. As far as I know there isn't really except for boat/traffic and possibly lamprey!!

Where was the beach they got bit at? Didn't think there was much in Irish waters that could cause a reaction like that?
18-09-2020, 18:50   #18
audiRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coL View Post
I don't like the sound of that at all!!! And of all the places for it to happen the middle of the English channel has to be one of the worst.

Another question I was unable to answer was is there any additional risk from being in deep(er) water. As far as I know there isn't really except for boat/traffic and possibly lamprey!!

Where was the beach they got bit at? Didn't think there was much in Irish waters that could cause a reaction like that?
Killiney beach. I'm not sure about any higher risk in deeper waters. I know there are bigger fish, blue sharks, port beagal
Sharks, but I've never heard of anyone being bitten. I heard a swim race was cancelled once because there were a lot of blue sharks on part of the course.
I've swam alot of miles in sea around ireland was only stung by jellies and sampled by a baby seal, I wouldn't go so far as to say I was bitten as it didn't break the skin
19-09-2020, 21:31   #19
mad m

Hazard=steps at 40ft...Had the pleasure of slipping on algae, came down heavy on my arse and got a herniated prolapsed disc. Not nice. Wouldn't of happened if the Sandycove lads were still there looking after the area, sadly missed..

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion