Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ronnie O Sullivan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He has an attitude of when he's not winning he trys to convince himself that he doesn't care. He's a bit like Nick Krygios.

I think they would rather have the comfort of having the impression of where people say they could have been a lot better if they nuckled down and kept their heads.

It's an avoidant personality disorder. They know if they gave it absolutely everything throughout their careers and it turned out that they weren't as good as they built themselves up, it would be more destroying than having that comfort factor of "I could have been better".

O'Sullivan is a great of his sport. He has won 5 World Titles. But I'm not subscribing to he could have been better. I don't think he is mentally strong enough to be better. He is what he is. His records are what he is. Very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

joeguevara wrote: »
    I suppose a question is 'why should he?'.

To not sound like an arséhole I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

To not sound like an arséhole I suppose!

I don't think he really cares about that. Some of his comments previously are way worse and abrasive. He speaks what is on his mind at the time, same as a lot of the greats do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Some of his comments previously are way worse and abrasive.

Probably his worst

I don't think he really cares about that. Some of his comments previously are way worse and abrasive. He speaks what is on his mind at the time, same as a lot of the greats do.

I know that. He’s a maverick as was Alex Higgins etc. and a lot of people love him for that. My point is that a lot of others can’t stand him because of such comments. But it’s not a popularity contest either, I know.

• Advertisement

I know that. He’s a maverick as was Alex Higgins etc. and a lot of people love him for that. My point is that a lot of others can’t stand him because of such comments. But it’s not a popularity contest either, I know.

Interestingly, himself and Higgins would probably be two of the most popular characters in snooker, definitely amongst the casual snooker fan.

Interestingly, himself and Higgins would probably be two of the most popular characters in snooker, definitely amongst the casual snooker fan.

Yes I agree. When there’s fans in the Crucible, Ronnie is always the fans’ favourite. I usually want to see him win myself because I love watching him play. It’s just hard to get behind everything the guy says in interviews etc! Higgins was loved as well - maybe even more than Ronnie from hearing the older generations talking about him. People seemed to adore his swagger, even though he had his own controversies.

Yes I agree. When there’s fans in the Crucible, Ronnie is always the fans’ favourite. I usually want to see him win myself because I love watching him play. It’s just hard to get behind everything the guy says in interviews etc! Higgins was loved as well - maybe even more than Ronnie from hearing the older generations talking about him. People seemed to adore his swagger, even though he had his own controversies.

Higgins threatened to get Taylor blown shot the loyalists but still loved by the Irish. I seem to remember him headbutting a ref as well. What an absolute legend.

Higgins threatened to get Taylor blown up by the loyalists but still loved by the Irish. I seem to remember him headbutting a ref as well. What an absolute legend.

"Stick yur snukker up yur jackseh"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

He's a great player but I find him insufferable.

I think he uses the I don't care it's all just a bit of fun attitude to insulate himself from pressure, he also uses it to protect himself if he loses or gets outplayed and a lot of people buy into it, including the pundits. It's a bit cowardly really and disrespectful to the player who bests or outplays him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

are snooker players drug tested??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    some sort of physiological disorder probably going on there, amazingly talented though, best of luck to him

He had a tough enough childhood with his dad being locked up for murder, was open about suffering with deression/ anxiety also.
    I have been in his company on three occasions and found him pleasent but quiet enough.

He gets mobbed wherever he goes so i'd be backing him all day long to with this event with nobody hassling him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

bangkok wrote: »

The subject of this thread has lost a title for a failed cannabis test. Had to forfeit the winnings to our own Ken Doherty.

Yeah. Ronnie got banned for smoking weed after the Irish Open in 1998. Stripped of the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Looks like Ronnie is playing to the same standards as the 'numpties'.
    This genius hasn't been in a final since 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I completely agree. Anyone who took offence at this, is looking to take offence at it. Firstly, he is speaking the truth. He is better than them all and gets annoyed if he isn't even challenged. He speaks his mind, would you expect anything else? He is a legend of the game, so its a breath of fresh air than having to listen to the same rote script interviews we are used to hearing in every sport.

Don't think anyone was offended by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He takes on things he never should, all through the arrogance of not caring. If he would play somewhat normally, and not take everything on he'd win more, but he doesn't care.
    He'll be hosting Top Gear next .

He takes on things he never should, all through the arrogance of not caring. If he would play somewhat normally, and not take everything on he'd win more, but he doesn't care.
    He'll be hosting Top Gear next .

He'd probably be retired now if it wasn't for Steve Peters

Ronnie doesn't need the cash, worth about £20 mil odd, due to his nice relationship he has with the chinese events

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yes. If the pass, they are given some.

radiata wrote: »
    Looks like Ronnie is playing to the same standards as the 'numpties'.
    This genius hasn't been in a final since 2014

Hes been in 16 ranking event finals since 2014 and won 11 of them.

Hes never been a fan of the Crucible. 2 weeks is a long time for him to be alone with his brain doing the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes been in 16 ranking event finals since 2014 and won 11 of them.

Hes never been a fan of the Crucible. 2 weeks is a long time for him to be alone with his brain doing the same thing.

yes he doesn't like the crucible as the players have to walk in with the fans, this must be a nightmare especially for him with his issues having a million freaks hanging out of him getting photos and all sorts.
    All he wants is a back entrance or someway to get in hassle free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

yes he doesn't like the crucible as the players have to walk in with the fans, this must be a nightmare especially for him with his issues having a million freaks hanging out of him getting photos and all sorts.
    All he wants is a back entrance or someway to get in hassle free

Had a brief phase where I was infatuated with Stuart Bingham myself.

Now I’ve moved on to McGill! Don’t worry nobody’s life is in danger...well maybe Kyren Wilson’s. His attempt at a disguise is weak the ronnie; the highlights the waistcoat - the Italian fcuking shoes! he’s fooling nobody. Still the same spotty herbert I wanted to murder all those years back ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Alex Higgins would have been suspended for testing negative. They are, some have been suspended for beta blockers, they take away the shakes.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Had a brief phase where I was infatuated with Stuart Bingham myself.

Now I’ve moved on to McGill! Don’t worry nobody’s life is in danger...well maybe Kyren Wilson’s. His attempt at a disguise is weak the ronnie; the highlights the waistcoat - the Italian fcuking shoes! he’s fooling nobody. Still the same spotty herbert I wanted to murder all those years back ...

Such anger :D

Move on to John Higgins, gent of the highest order and he loves the Irish

Alex Higgins would have been suspended for testing negative. They are, some have been suspended for beta blockers, they take away the shakes.

Big bad bill used to take them as he had the shakes from the gargle. Big unit he was

Rothko wrote: »
    Don't think anyone was offended by it.

I didn’t mean here. Actually comments here are very measured, I’m talking about the general public. Love ken Doherty but he seems to be taking the comments to heart calling them derogatory etc.

Such anger :D

Move on to John Higgins, gent of the highest order and he loves the Irish

Had a brief dalliance with him already. Now I’m onto thee ginger harbriger

Had a brief dalliance with him already. Now I’m onto thee ginger harbriger

Don't like him

On a side note, snooker clubs have pretty much been eridicated from Dublin over the last twenty years. Used to love playing amateur snooker in Division 2.

There used to be 4 or 5 in Tallaght alone.

Belgard, Blacks, Kusanta, Leisure Centre, Spawell and Q's over in Clondalkin. All gone now.

DBelgard, Blacks, Kusanta, Leisure Centre, Spawell and Q's over in Clondalkin. All gone now.

Castle billiards; potters.....all gone

• Advertisement

Castle billiards; potters.....all gone

Played league games in both clubs. Gives me an idea what area you are from; )

Sackville in town another that's gone. More social clubs have them now. ALSAA and Roadstone i know of for sure

Advertisement