Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nightline - left parcel in garden and appears to have been stolen?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

What magical company was this, because in the real world none of them actually do any of this,
    Strumms wrote: »
    Couriers need to obtain a signature for every shipment delivered. No courier should be ‘leaving’ a package anywhere.

Why though should people have to invest in a metal box, time installing it, then go picking up the phone to a courier company, wait on hold and then spend time with them organizing deliveries, giving codes etc ? If a courier attempts to make a delivery to me tomorrow and I just happen to be elsewhere, they leave a card, with the package ref. number... I call the number on the card and we agree a mutual time that suits me and the courier company to make another delivery... I know quite a bit about this industry having been employed for a while in it and that’s what happens to about 10-15% of packages. The companies ring too in the evening if you haven’t called them...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

eiei0 wrote: »
    What magical company was this, because in the real world none of them actually do any of this,

A very established and international one..I won’t publicize them but their policy was that if they could not provide proof of the delivery to the customer, the shipper, the shipping would be free of charge.. also you’d be looking at the possibility of a claim too so they could loose four times...

-loose shipping fee
    -loose money in compensation
    -loose reputation
    -loose the customer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Couriers need to obtain a signature for every shipment delivered. No courier should be ‘leaving’ a package anywhere.

Why though should people have to invest in a metal box, time installing it, then go picking up the phone to a courier company, wait on hold and then spend time with them organizing deliveries, giving codes etc ? If a courier attempts to make a delivery to me tomorrow and I just happen to be elsewhere, they leave a card, with the package ref. number... I call the number on the card and we agree a mutual time that suits me and the courier company to make another delivery... I know quite a bit about this industry having been employed for a while in it and that’s what happens to about 10-15% of packages. The companies ring too in the evening if you haven’t called them...

Your dreaming if you think that happens. It all depends on the driver in the area. The volume is too big to be offering that level of customer service.

rob316 wrote: »
    Your dreaming if you think that happens. It all depends on the driver in the area. The volume is too big to be offering that level of customer service.

About 17 years working in the express freight / cargo industry says otherwise. Drivers don’t get to decide. If that company is contracted to provide a service where a signature is mandatory, it must be obtained. Leaving stuff here there and everywhere with no documented proof of delivery isn’t a service, it’s carelessness.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You've got 2 types of service International Express couriers such as UPS, DHL, TNT, FedEx and to a certain extent DPD amd GLS. They normally require a signature. More local couriers such as Fastway, Nightline Etc do a huge amount of online order domestic deliveries where they don't require signatures. I don't think Fastway even have scanners?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

About 17 years working in the express freight / cargo industry says otherwise. Drivers don’t get to decide. If that company is contracted to provide a service where a signature is mandatory, it must be obtained. Leaving stuff here there and everywhere with no documented proof of delivery isn’t a service, it’s carelessness.

In current situation most have moved to "driver confirmed" delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! Thanks for all the replies. Just an update. I rang Nightline's customer service this morning. They said they can leave the parcel in a safe space and not give it directly to the person it is addressed ot. I asked how they could think leaving a parcel behind a garden wall - as it said when I traced the track number - was a safe option, in an estate where there was a lot of footfall past the front garden. I was queuing for 20 minutes before I got to talk to anyone. Then they contacted their driver who said she definitely left it in my garden. I reminded them that I had come home towards the end of the 18.00 to 20.00 delivery slot and there was no parcel in my garden or at my door. I said that the tracing ref stated it was dropped inside my garden wall and not at front door. I reminded them that the porch door had been left open, with the inner door locked so they could throw parcel into porch rather than at front door. I said my son had been playing his X box in the fromt room and heard no one come to the door or open our garden gate. They then said they would get the driver to contact me after she had retraced her steps this evening. She called to my house, stating that she had definitely left the parcel at the door. I said there was no parcel at my door when I got home, and my son had heard no one open the garden gate or come up the path. She was adamant she delivered it to our house. She then said that they always took photos when the left the parcel at the door or in the garden of someone's house. I asked her for the photo, but she said she did not have it then, but would get it for me to prove she delivered the package. She then said that Nightline would compensate me, and she would contact me tomorrow - we shall see! Haven't yet received any contact form NEXT though I emailed them. No number to directly call them, but just live chat, which doesn't seem to be really live! - and also email - for this reason, I would not order again from NEXT even if they moved to DPD.

‘If’ the parcel had been left at the door, the right and common sense thing would have been to do the following...

attempt to open the porch on arrival, place the shipment as securely and as out of sight as possible, make a phone call to the recipient advising that you have left it. If the recipient is home, request their name for the proof of delivery and visually from the garden gate verify they have received it.

Nobody is home, you don’t leave the package, you don’t throw the package over a wall either.

If the recipient calls that evening giving out, the person in the office simply relates that it is a courier service and therefore verification of receipt and identify of the recipient is required. As the courier was unable to obtain either he had to leave with the shipment, with the intention of the office making contact to organize a redelivery or the intended recipient doing so themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nightline will give you the runaround. Phone Next.

Advertisement