Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vodafone bill PlayGames €4.90

• 14-04-2020 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Appreciate any advice how to stop this

My dads bill has 4.90€ added weekly for an item PlayGames.

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

ring vodafone and tell them he has not (knowingly) authorised this purchase and you would like a refund.

customer care on 1907 for bill pay customers or 1747 for pay as you go customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

While in contact with Vodafone, ask for a log of SMS traffic that will be useful to show that he didn't subscribe to whatever "service" the charges relate to. Also check the phone SMS outbox for any texts to the number, there probably won't be any but check anyway. It's unlikely that your Dad subscribed to any games service, check the bill for any other details of texts sent that might be linked.

Vodafone will tell you to contact the sender of the texts (assuming it's one of those Premium SMS scams). Whoever sent the texts needs an AGREE SMS to validate a subscription, that's why the log of SMS traffic is needed. They probably don't have that so that's the basis for a full refund.

Instruct Vodafone to block all premium rate services on the account.

You can contact Comreg to complain but they will send you back to the sender so you won't get much help from them but you can ask them why they allow the farce of these scams to continue unchecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

dave62 wrote: »
    Appreciate any advice how to stop this

My dads bill has 4.90€ added weekly for an item PlayGames.

Thanks very much

Did you get this issue sorted?

If so, who was the provider and how did you go about stopping it.

My mother has been charged the same, and I cannot find the supplier in order to cancel the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Plenty of threads with this type of scam.

Comreg have absolutely zero interest in containing this scam by several companies.

If they looked at how the uk regulator has corrected this "theft" and copied it, that would be a start. But they are a lazy uninterested toothless regulator.

For those who have had the charge, you can find out the company that made the charge, email them, ask for proof of the opt in (there won't be any) and then ask your provider to block all premium rate texts.

But comreg are an absolute joke when it comes to this scam

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dave62

LivInt20 wrote: »
    Did you get this issue sorted?

If so, who was the provider and how did you go about stopping it.

My mother has been charged the same, and I cannot find the supplier in order to cancel the charge.

My provider was VF.
    I spent hours on calls with customer service, I got some sympathetic refunds for my OAP father, charges stopped after second month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

dave62 wrote: »
    My provider was VF.
    I spent hours on calls with customer service, I got some sympathetic refunds for my OAP father, charges stopped after second month.

With Vodafone too, but they are saying they do not know who the charges are going to and therefore I am finding it difficult to stop the charges.

Comreg website is not giving me the details of the supplier of the charges either, so this is very difficult to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭dave62

I was getting the same response from VF, I did get a refund and the payments stopped on the third bill.
    My father in-law is 84 he has no record of signing up to anything and VF weren't any help explaining either.
    He's on a BB TV and house phone package with two mobiles included for approx 114 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

This is happening across the board. Two numbers on our account with Vodafone have been billed it and I know quite a few on Three who have also had the same issue over the last year or that. You can now ask that all premium rate messages are blocked on your account on Three and Vodafone. I'd assume Eir offer it too but I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

I hit a link on a page and got hit with the €20 a month scam starting in a week unless I replied back to stop. Got three to block all premium text messages and never got hit.

Advertisement