Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mobiplanet SMS scam (57976)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Merowig wrote: »
    Thank you

The text messages received by my wife are MobiPlanet;s Unlimited - on the Bills it appears as Text received TxtNation -- 57976

You can check with ComReg who is behind the number, at:

https://servicechecker.comreg.ie/Find/Index?q=57976

This will in turn lead you to the e-mail address for MobiPlanet (who own 57976), which is help@umelimited.com

• Registered Users Posts: 64,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I don't know why this sh1t isn't illegal, perhaps a Mr Big has a nice brown envelope scheme going :rolleyes:

Next time just say it was your underage child did it, and they don't have the authority to sign up to any deals. You'll get all your money back much easier. I've done it several times

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

Thanks to all
    Email is out to UMElimited

I had also had a chat with Tesco Mobile just now - I asked them to block all premium services / deactivate in general premium services - I was told that is not possible
    Can anyone confirm?
    I know that it is possible to deactivate internet completely with Three so I would assume it should be possible to do the same for Premium Services with Tesco?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

unkel wrote: »
    I don't know why this sh1t isn't illegal, perhaps a Mr Big has a nice brown envelope scheme going :rolleyes:

Next time just say it was your underage child did it, and they don't have the authority to sign up to any deals. You'll get all your money back much easier. I've done it several times

PRS pay licence fees to Comreg which more than cover the bit of call centre work they have to do deflecting responsibility. Operators will all pay back if you push them meaning it never goes further.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So it's basically preying on vulnerable people who do not have the strength or will to fight this. Like robbing old ladies. Literally. My elderly mother in law got done for this, she didn't notice until my wife at some stage scrutinised her bill several months down the line because it seemed rather high to her

Handed the case over to the pitbull (me) and I got her all her money back, but it wasn't easy or pleasant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I had also had a chat with Tesco Mobile just now - I asked them to block all premium services / deactivate in general premium services - I was told that is not possible
    Can anyone confirm?
    I know that it is possible to deactivate internet completely with Three so I would assume it should be possible to do the same for Premium Services with Tesco?

For some bizarre reason, Tesco are not mentioned on Comregs webpage about allowing consumers to have a premium rate bar applied to their account.
    How do I bar all premium rate SMS/text services from my phone?

Consumers can avail of a facility to block premium rate Short Messaging Services (SMS) text messages and Multimedia Message Services (MMS) from their mobile phone.

If you wish to have premium rate SMS text messages and MMS blocked from your mobile phone, the mobile operators eir Mobile, Three and Vodafone provide a barring facility allowing you to bar such services in the short code number ranges 53XXX to 59XXX.

If you are with eir Mobile, Three or Vodafone, you will have received a text message earlier this year advising you of this facility and how to avail of it. To avail of the barring option, if you are unsure how, you can contact your mobile operator’s customer care to make your request. The barring facility is available free of charge and should be in place no later than 14 days following your request.

https://www.comreg.ie/premium-rate/how-to-bar-or-stop-premium-rate-services/how-do-i-bar-all-premium-rate-sms-text-services-from-my-phone/

Either Comreg didn't bother telling Tesco to implement a barring option or else Tesco decided to ignore it.

Ten Pin wrote: »
    For some bizarre reason, Tesco are not mentioned on Comregs webpage about allowing consumers to have a premium rate bar applied to their account.

https://www.comreg.ie/premium-rate/how-to-bar-or-stop-premium-rate-services/how-do-i-bar-all-premium-rate-sms-text-services-from-my-phone/

Either Comreg didn't bother telling Tesco to implement a barring option or else Tesco decided to ignore it.

Thanks a lot - I will file a complaint with Comreg against Tesco now.

I will file a complaint with Comreg against Tesco now.

You'll probably have to make a formal complaint to Tesco first...Comreg normally won't do anything without exhausting the ISP complaint process first.

The whole system of regulation is designed to put consumers off complaining as much as possible.....companies know they can carry on ripping consumers off without any sanction.

The fact that Comreg receive licence fees from PRSMS companies they are regulating is a bit of a joke at this stage.

You'll probably have to make a formal complaint to Tesco first...Comreg normally won't do anything without exhausting the ISP complaint process first.

The whole system of regulation is designed to put consumers off complaining as much as possible.....companies know they can carry on ripping consumers off without any sanction.

The fact that Comreg receive licence fees from PRSMS companies they are regulating is a bit of a joke at this stage.

I did ask them in the chat and was told no - I would have assumed that is a complained which was declined.
    I am waiting now for the chatlog to arrive...

I did ask them in the chat and was told no - I would have assumed that is a complained which was declined.
    I am waiting now for the chatlog to arrive...

You could be on a hiding to nothing with that: I'm not sure they're obliged to offer the capability of blocking all Premium Rate Services. One good reason to move from Tesco Mobile if they don't offer it.

I would focus more on the core complaint. The code of practice (which has the force of law, despite its name) is quite detailed for that, so you can use it for ammunition when making your compaint.

https://www.comreg.ie/csv/downloads/ComReg1445.pdf

• Advertisement

First thing Comreg will ask for is a complaint reference number.

From Tesco Code of Practice...
    A complaint can only be logged / recorded on our systems once we are assured that we have already had an attempt to resolve the issue but failed. For example, if a customer raises an issue / concern with us we will endeavour to resolve the issue while being on the call, via chat or email i.e. first call resolution - that’s not deemed a complaint.

https://www.tescomobile.ie/code-of-practice.aspx

It seems there's a 3 stage process...
    1. Talk to CS
    2. Escalate to Team Leader
    3. Raise a complaint

The way it's worded indicates 10 days for stage 2 and another 10 days for stage 3. Only after that will they provide the complaint ref number that Comreg require.

The web chat transcript is part of stage 1 so they have plenty of hurdles ready before Comreg will intervene.

As mentioned above, it's set up to slow the whole process down to a pace suitable for a 1970s postal only communications system rather than the real time internet that everyone uses.

I think it'll be a waste of time complaining to Tesco Mobile about not being able to block all PRSs. I doubt ComReg would take it on, either, as they don't seem to be obliged to offer the facility. I note they offer it in the UK, by the way, but that's not really relevant.

You can always (in theory!) block each PRS.

I'd very much focus on getting your money back from MobiPlanet. In your first message to them, you should ask them to block your number from all PRS they offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭corks finest

First thing Comreg will ask for is a complaint reference number.

From Tesco Code of Practice...

https://www.tescomobile.ie/code-of-practice.aspx

It seems there's a 3 stage process...
    1. Talk to CS
    2. Escalate to Team Leader
    3. Raise a complaint

The way it's worded indicates 10 days for stage 2 and another 10 days for stage 3. Only after that will they provide the complaint ref number that Comreg require.

The web chat transcript is part of stage 1 so they have plenty of hurdles ready before Comreg will intervene.

As mentioned above, it's set up to slow the whole process down to a pace suitable for a 1970s postal only communications system rather than the real time internet that everyone uses.

This country is all against the little man when comreg is not fit for purpose and the individual has to jump through numerous hoops to get any answers, I mean wtf are comreg paid for?

This country is all against the little man when comreg is not fit for purpose and the individual has to jump through numerous hoops to get any answers, I mean wtf are comreg paid for?

Don't forget that ComReg is paid by the "Premium Service Providers" as well

Crazy isn't it? emailed comreg earlier and mentioned same as surely this is a conflict of interest.
    And asked them why they are not dealing with this company and Eir making them get their ducks in line etc,
    Be interesting to see if they reply
    (filled in a complaint form)

Thank you for your email

Please visit our code of practice to view our licensing policy:
    https://www.comreg.ie/premium-rate/code-of-practice/comreg-investigations-2/

Please visit https://www.comreg.ie/enforcement for fines taken against Premium Rate Services simply click the category section "Premium Rate Services" and then click search.

We would like to help you with any difficulty had with a PRS service if you are having any issues:

ComReg can become involved in the resolution of individual complaints only when a consumer has first lodged a complaint with the premium rate service provider in question.

To lodge a complaint we would advise you to contact the premium rate service provider directly and proceed as outlined below:

1. Contact UME(owners of Mobiplanet service) helpdesk via email on help@umelimited.com;
    2. State that you have been advised by ComReg to lodge a complaint;
    3. Give the full details of your complaint.

If the premium rate service provider does not respond to your complaint within 10 working days or you feel the provider has not adequately addressed the issues you have raised, you can contact ComReg. We will review your complaint and refer the matter to the premium rate service provider if appropriate.

We will keep track of the progress of your complaint and when the service provider confirms that the issue is resolved with you we will examine the resolution of your case and close as appropriate.

Should you have any other queries or require any other assistance you can call our Consumer Care Team on 01 8049668 or email consumerline@comreg.ie. For your information your ComReg case reference number is 567905.

Any previous correspondence related to this case is noted in the table below. All correspondence from ComReg will have had the same subject as this email: Your ComReg Case Reference Number 567905 has been updated.

Went through the hoops with UME and they decline to do a full refund and only want to refund 50 Euro. I got a reference number for my complaint.

Anyone here was in a same situation and went to Comreg then afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Just keep on at them. Tell them you won't accept a partial refund, and they'll probably cave before it gets to the point of investigation and sanction.

seagull wrote: »
    Just keep on at them. Tell them you won't accept a partial refund, and they'll probably cave before it gets to the point of investigation and sanction.
    I did but they are now the ones not caving in

I did complain now with Comreg (expectations are low though) and I also launched a GDPR request with UME.

Did anyone did the small claims claim via the UK against them? Is that possible with residence in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Went through the hoops with UME and they decline to do a full refund and only want to refund 50 Euro. I got a reference number for my complaint.

Anyone here was in a same situation and went to Comreg then afterwards?

Just tell UME you have reported the case to Comreg and that they will take over after 10 days. UME will pay in full on the 9th day.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

Just noticed my bill had jumped from 30 odd to 75. Sneaky feckers! Will follow some of the advice here....

Comreg came back with us with that:

"Before ComReg can escalate your case with the Premium Rate Service, could you please provide the following:

Your Network Operator and are you bill pay or PAYG
    What type of handset do you have

Please note that ComReg will look to see if Terms and Conditions have been breached."

Quick question - for what does Comreg want to know the type of handset?

"Before ComReg can escalate your case with the Premium Rate Service, could you please provide the following:

Your Network Operator and are you bill pay or PAYG
    What type of handset do you have

Please note that ComReg will look to see if Terms and Conditions have been breached."

I wouldn't read anything into it: just answer the question. It's probably an automated request that's sent out with all queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

I'd say it's a somewhat outdated question, check if your phone has internet access to see if it was even possible for you to sign up for the scam?

If it's a smartphone, they may be trying to determine if it was/is possible to click on an ad, accidentally or otherwise. It could be an indication that Comreg are considering accepting that it was a valid subscription and therefore no refund....if that is the case then it's making an already dubious snake oil business even more dubious.

Also, if UME say it was an iPhone and you have a Samsung then it's obvious who's lying....BUT...this is irrelevant anyway as the only acceptable way to subscribe is by sending an AGREE SMS. That's what Comregs own terms say so that's the sole point to focus on.
    "Please note that ComReg will look to see if Terms and Conditions have been breached."

Ask them what they mean by that, the only Ts & Cs that matter are those of the PR SMS licence. If they are considering going into the network's Ts & Cs, that's also irrelevant.

Overall, Comregs response seems to indicate that you may need to prove you didn't subscribe rather than UME proving you did. That would be bizarre if that's how they are dealing with complaints.

Sounds like the fox is in charge of the henhouse if Comreg are considering rejecting the refund request.

We replied to Comreg answering the questions, Comreg stated they will contact UME and UME should contact us again for a resolution.
    They came back again and offered 50 Euro and maintain my wife has willingly subscribed here.
    UME is doing here Gaslighting which I found absolutely horrible.

Replied back to them stating that we do accept only a full refund and that they should confirm again that they are not willing to refund us fully.

I plan to go then back to ComReg and also complaining about the constant gaslightning.

We replied to Comreg answering the questions, Comreg stated they will contact UME and UME should contact us again for a resolution.
    They came back again and offered 50 Euro and maintain my wife has willingly subscribed here.
    UME is doing here Gaslighting which I found absolutely horrible.

Replied back to them stating that we do accept only a full refund and that they should confirm again that they are not willing to refund us fully.

I plan to go then back to ComReg and also complaining about the constant gaslightning.

Have you asked them for proof that the subscription was "willingly made"? That is, some form of log of message exchange. Without proof, it's your word against theirs, and that is not sufficient grounds for them to have charged you anything.

Keep pressing them!

Have you asked them for proof that the subscription was "willingly made"? That is, some form of log of message exchange. Without proof, it's your word against theirs, and that is not sufficient grounds for them to have charged you anything.

Keep pressing them!

I already did a GDPR request and they have nothing

• Advertisement

I already did a GDPR request and they have nothing

Do they admit that?

That is, do they agree to the statement that they have charged you for a service for which they have no proof you ever subscribed to?

I'd try and force them into a definitive statement along those lines (or a statement that they won't provide one) and go back to ComReg with that.

Advertisement