Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

AndyOHart wrote: »
    Jesus christ how much should I be paying for a graphics card that cost 1k?
    I bought it in Germany but was routed through the UK and had UPS pick it up in the UK so now I will have to pay the invoice and not the seller in Germany.

21% VAT - €210
    UPS fee - €15(?)
    Total: ~€225

As far as I know there's no duty on computer parts but I'm not certain.

Could you not have had it shipped directly here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

VG31 wrote: »
    21% VAT - €210
    UPS fee - €15(?)

You need to go back through the Ops previous posts on this thread.

whiterebel wrote: »
    You need to go back through the Ops previous posts on this thread.

Yeah I see why now. TBH arranging a courier to pick it up from the UK was a crazy route to go down. It should have been up to the seller to rectify it in the first place. Filing a chargeback request or PayPal dispute would be the next step if they didn't refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

VG31 wrote: »
    21% VAT - €210
    UPS fee - €15(?)

Thanks for the info.
    Yep I know its an absolute mess and I made it more difficult for myself, but the seller nor DHL were getting back to me. Seller in Germany was even hanging up the phones at one stage because I rang so much. Every time I did get through it was always 'wait for email next week'.
    Unfortunately I paid through bank and not through PayPay.

225 will be hard to part with but ultimately if I can get the item and put this absolute nightmare of a situation behind me I'll be delighted. Can try sort compensation or something after.
    My story to the bank for charge back would be that the seller was not getting back to me in emails and was hanging up the phone too so I believed my item to be missing until it was located by the people DHL wrongly delivered to and upon telling the German company they still did nothing.
    Fingers crossed it works out

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

Once a parcel reaches Finglas, how long does it take for it to go out for delivery does anyone know? Same day? Next working day?

• Advertisement

Got a new email last night saying that package should be delivered today, was very happy.
    Tracking says there was an Export scan, Departed Stansted, and now is in Koeln Germany... Seems weird for it to go to Germany from the UK and then be shipped to Ireland. Will I still have to pay customs for that? I really doubt its arriving today

Once a parcel reaches Finglas, how long does it take for it to go out for delivery does anyone know? Same day? Next working day?

Next day usually. For some reason in my area packages delivered by UPS drivers are not usually scanned as out for delivery. For stuff delivered by drivers who would have been with Nightline before they merged, there's always an out for delivery scan in the morning (appears as "destination scan").
    Got a new email last night saying that package should be delivered today, was very happy.
    Tracking says there was an Export scan, Departed Stansted, and now is in Koeln Germany... Seems weird for it to go to Germany from the UK and then be shipped to Ireland. Will I still have to pay customs for that? I really doubt its arriving today

All express shipments are routed through the hub in Koeln, even from the UK. If it was being delivered today it should have arrived in Dublin early this morning, the flight from Koeln departs at 04:00.

The country of origin is what matters for customs, so yes.

Bummer. Does the country of origin only matter for where UPS collected it from? If my package came from Germany via DHL and was shipped to the UK, and then UPS collect its there to bring it to Ireland, could I somehow claim back for that I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭edwardkiley

hi
    does anyone know
    if I get a parcel sent through UPS expedited from america
    does it come straight to ireland or does it go through the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Darwin

I would imagine straight to Ireland. I'll let you know in a few days as I've something coming by that exact service from the USA (hasn't been dispatched yet).

• Advertisement

Darwin wrote: »
    I would imagine straight to Ireland. I'll let you know in a few days as I've something coming by that exact service from the USA (hasn't been dispatched yet).

There's no UPS flights from Dublin/Shannon to the US. All air freight goes through Koeln from Ireland. So I presume it will be on the CGN to DUB flight.

cool

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭user302243

hi
    does anyone know
    if I get a parcel sent through UPS expedited from america
    does it come straight to ireland or does it go through the UK?

Goes through Cologne Germany

user302243 wrote: »
    Goes through Cologne Germany

cool,

Does anyone know here,
    Do How do UPS value items for Vat and customs?
    Like do they open up your stuff and research it online to try and
    find a value or do they go off the declared value on the outside ?
    also does the customs valuation happen here in ireland or germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭user302243

cool,

Does anyone know here,
    Do How do UPS value items for Vat and customs?
    Like do they open up your stuff and research it online to try and
    find a value or do they go off the declared value on the outside ?
    also does the customs valuation happen here in ireland or germany?

The shipper has to attach a customs invoice to the shipment (not necessarily on the box can be uploaded online).

This is what is used for the valuation in Ireland but customs can and do spot checks and open up anything they think might have an incorrect valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I was also sent an expedited UPS through cologne.

Current status:
    q2zNJj1.jpg
    In transit since Thursday morning :(
    I rang them yesterday and they said it is in the van on the way and will def be delivered that day. Nope!

Dunno if I should start worrying about it being lost yet!

If you pay the driver for any import related charges do you get a receipt or is handing over of the package proof you paid? Expecting my delivery next Wed (coming from US via Cologne)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

If you pay the driver for any import related charges do you get a receipt or is handing over of the package proof you paid? Expecting my delivery next Wed (coming from US via Cologne)

They'll leave a copy of the invoice that outlines the charges with you.

So if my package was picked up in UK, but is now in Koeln, Germany, will I have to pay the customs? I would of thought I wouldn't since it is being sent from Germany now?
    Also how does it work with the driver? I live in an apartment block with a door code but theres no way to leave information as to how to access the building, will he call me?

Also, can anybody else who got stuff sent from UK recently confirm if there really is a backlog? I have been waiting since early January for my package and UPS said theres a large backlog because of Brexit, but apparently others have had no issues getting items here in 3 days.

user302243 wrote: »
    The shipper has to attach a customs invoice to the shipment (not necessarily on the box can be uploaded online).

This is what is used for the valuation in Ireland but customs can and do spot checks and open up anything they think might have an incorrect valuation.

say they do open it,
    do they go to a big effort to try and research the value of the item?

• Advertisement

Like snowblind above, not too impressed with their "expedited" service. Delivery originally scheduled for Monday, then pushed out to Wednesday. It arrived into Dublin very early Tuesday morning and cleared customs immediately. Still no sign of it despite marked out for delivery at 12.36am this morning.
    Funny thing is the last three non-expedited packages have arrived to me on time and always before 11am - I wonder is it a different courier arm within UPS handling those?

Like snowblind above, not too impressed with their "expedited" service. Delivery originally scheduled for Monday, then pushed out to Wednesday. It arrived into Dublin very early Tuesday morning and cleared customs immediately. Still no sign of it despite marked out for delivery at 12.36am this morning.
    Funny thing is the last three non-expedited packages have arrived to me on time and always before 11am - I wonder is it a different courier arm within UPS handling those?

There's essentially two different divisions within UPS here since they took over Nightline. Where I live (Dublin) deliveries are by both drivers in UPS vans (usually the same driver) and Nightline drivers who are either in taxis or white vans.

The usual UPS driver always delivers around 9.30 am but the Nightline drivers come at any time. One delivered at 9 pm a few months ago.

It used to be all the Nightline contracts were handled by the Nightline drivers (Next, Lifestyle Sports for example) but lately I've had UPS Standard EU deliveries by taxi drivers. Despite the inconsistency everything has always been delivered on-time so far.

I don't know about UPS Expedited but that's probably actual UPS drivers. I doubt the taxi drivers would be collecting customs charges, although I could be wrong. For some reason there usually isn't any out for delivery scans in my area when it's delivered by a UPS driver.

That sounds about right, our UPS standard deliveries were all in unmarked vans. At 5pm I got a delivery attempted notification, but nobody came to the door and nobody rang my number. I guess they are run off their feet, not looking too good for tomorrow either if the forecast snow materialises.

They are saying I need to file a lost package claim now �� This entire situation has gotten worse and worse that its actually funny at this stage. Not sure how packages could get lost really, just hope they find it.

Sounds like a nightmare, you will be protected by your credit card company if all else fails. Mine finally turned up yesterday, worked out as I expected (21% VAT + €20'ish admin fee). The driver was shocked that I didn't grumble about the import charges and had the money ready!

Sounds like a nightmare, you will be protected by your credit card company if all else fails. Mine finally turned up yesterday, worked out as I expected (21% VAT + €20'ish admin fee). The driver was shocked that I didn't grumble about the import charges and had the money ready!

Good stuff did yours have to be claimed at all?
    Or they just delivered it? Jesus 21% VAT will be like 200+ for me, wonder will I have to pay it if its coming from Germany after being shipped from UK

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Funny This thread pops up. I’m expecting a delivery today. Next day express delivery. UPS are claiming it will be delivered today yet it’s 20:13 right now. They work until 9pm apparently, but I’m not optimistic that a parcel that left Limerick 11 hours ago will be delivered here in Thurles at 20:13-21:00 so the c^*ts have deferred premium delivery I paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Funny This thread pops up. I’m expecting a delivery today. Next day express delivery. UPS are claiming it will be delivered today yet it’s 20:13 right now. They work until 9pm apparently, but I’m not optimistic that a parcel that left Limerick 11 hours ago will be delivered here in Thurles at 20:13-21:00 so the c^*ts have deferred premium delivery I paid for

What does the tracking page say? Express will generally be done earlier in the day. There's certain cut off times for them to be done by depending on the area.

Good stuff did yours have to be claimed at all?
    Or they just delivered it? Jesus 21% VAT will be like 200+ for me, wonder will I have to pay it if its coming from Germany after being shipped from UK

Driver just knocked at the door and told me what was owing and I paid him. Mine was €197 so I handed him €200 and told him to buy a coffee on the way home lol. If I understand you correctly, you bought it from a German seller, who had it shipped from the UK? I would imagine in that case you will be liable for import charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Still says it’s out for delivery. More than likely it’s in a van parked up until Monday. The last time this happened, it was a bank holiday weekend and the parcel wasn’t delivered until the following Wednesday.

Advertisement