Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post "Deliverybox"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

delahuntv wrote: »
    But best of all - if you have one of these you can block your letter box and means you won't get any junk mail except the stuff that comes via an post :)
    Fab. We have a blatant, "No Junk Mail" sticker on the box but still the occasional pizza menu / political guff appears. Locking the politicians out appeals to me a lot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A lot of politicians consider their material to not be junk, for some surreal reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

L1011 wrote: »
    A lot of politicians consider their material to not be junk, for some surreal reason.
    It's not junk if there's an address on it. I think they must just print off the register of electorates on their junk mail and then the postman has to legally deliver it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

catbear wrote: »
    It's not junk if there's an address on it. I think they must just print off the register of electorates on their junk mail and then the postman has to legally deliver it.

That's the Litir Um Togchain or some similar spelling which each candidate is allowed send

I've had politicians claiming their unaddressed flyers were "important, not junk" a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That's the Litir Um Togchain or some similar spelling which each candidate is allowed send
    Never heard of that, is there a printed address on it?

All I know is that the weeks before an election there seems to be individual junk mail for each voter in the house.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    Never heard of that, is there a printed address on it?

All I know is that the weeks before an election there seems to be individual junk mail for each voter in the house.

Every party or independent candidate is allowed send one flyer each to each voter (meant to be one per household now, I believe) free of postage charge prior to a general election. They are individually addressed.

This is the only time anyone can use the full electoral register for direct mailing. Removing yourself from the edited register reduces the quantum of addressed junkmail hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not sure why Parcel Motel is being mentioned, it's a completely different service. This is just a bigger postbox that parcels can be left in. It's not really a 'service' per se. The postage will still remain the same as it would have been anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've had a parcel safe outside the house for several years; you leave it unlocked, and then the postal or other delivery person puts in a package and clicks the lock shut. Works fine - unfortunately the award-winning company that made it has gone out of business.

The An Post version wouldn't work for us, because you need a space below it to open down its door - ours is set on the ground, with the lid opening up. I don't like the design of the An Post one at all.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

An Post are now offering €10 the cost of the Delivery Box, in the form of a voucher: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/MainContent/Personal+Customers/Managing+Mail/Parcel+delivery+services/DeliveryBoxOffer.htm

You just need to : "Pay for and post a parcel or packet, send an item using Registered Post, Express Post, or Express Post with a signature, or buy stamps: Peel & Stick rolls, National Stamp Booklets, or International Stamp Booklets at your local participating Post Office. You can also buy a postmobile phone, plan, sim or top up your postmobile phone."

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

Did anyone get one of these yet. comments on quality, service, scumbags robbing them etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Would be keen to hear feedback as well, as I'm thinking about getting one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭148multi

my3cents wrote:
    btw I suspect as I can see two locks on the "Deliverybox" that it has an "arming" feature, so the postmans key only works after its been opened and closed with the householders key. This would prevent another person opening it with the master key after the postman. Really not sure about that but I remember our postman talking about a new box that had some feature like that.

Got one, very happy with quality, buy stuff online, no need to call to post office anymore. There is a little window at bottom, but I left mine covered and I put my letters in it, postman picks them up when there's mail. Have to sign for registered letters. Put it on pier near road and only the postman can put mail in it. Delivery took nearly a month, I'm down the country, most people don't notice it. I had problems with a certain person using the letterbox, problem solved now. ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aussiekenn

Will regular non-parcel mail be delivered to this as well? Getting a new front door that doesn't have a letter box in it so wondering if we can just have a Delivery Box instead?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

aussiekenn wrote: »
    Will regular non-parcel mail be delivered to this as well? Getting a new front door that doesn't have a letter box in it so wondering if we can just have a Delivery Box instead?

All anPost packets and letters will be put in the DeliveryBox.

They do state in the terms to keep your existing letter box for non AnPost deliveries.

I have one of these sitting beside me I haven't had time on a dry day to put up yet. Had to pick it up from the delivery office somewhat ironically because despite working from home that day I'd popped out for lunch when the van came that day!

Its extremely sturdily built; to the point I don't trust the coach bolts it came with to hold it on the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its extremely sturdily built; to the point I don't trust the coach bolts it came with to hold it on the wall.

You could add silicone/bonding adhesive at the back when installing that would help.

Box installed, working, etc. An Post stopped sending me notifications after the second delivery so I'm now checking it daily... did that in an apartment before so its no bother but does reduce the usefulness a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

Box installed, working, etc. An Post stopped sending me notifications after the second delivery so I'm now checking it daily... did that in an apartment before so its no bother but does reduce the usefulness a bit!

If you are not getting notifications, the bar code inside is not being scanned as it should be.

ei9go wrote: »
    If you are not getting notifications, the bar code inside is not being scanned as it should be.

Assumed so. We had a substitute postman the last few weeks but it was him who did the 'commissioning' and at least the first of the two email-notified deliveries (I was working from home and can see the door from the desk). Might be back to the regular one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think this sounds like a great idea. Are they going to tie it in with the An Post UK Address service - parcel motel alternative? This would be great. What happens when they need a signature, can they skip it as they can guarantee delivery?

One question, if AnPost have a master key for all boxes - what happens if someone steaks/clones the master key?? Highly unlikely I'm sure but possible at least...

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    I think this sounds like a great idea. Are they going to tie it in with the An Post UK Address service - parcel motel alternative? This would be great. What happens when they need a signature, can they skip it as they can guarantee delivery?

One question, if AnPost have a master key for all boxes - what happens if someone steaks/clones the master key?? Highly unlikely I'm sure but possible at least...

Signed for items (as opposed to registered) under €80 (or something like that - the registration form says liability is limited to €500) go in if they fit; I believe.

Registered shouldn't as there's no proof of delivery; higher value ones don't due to that key risk - they'll only insure up to a certain amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 corribman

remember this is ireland.we always do things differently.lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I assume the postman will all regular letters via this box if you don't have a letterbox in your door?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    I assume the postman will all regular letters via this box if you don't have a letterbox in your door?

Yes - whether you have a letterbox or not they all go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I have one of these for about 9 months. My observations:

- It's great for large packages sent via normal mail, don't need to go to the depot for these.

- Registered mail or anything where a signature is required is still a trip to the depot, they won't leave it in the box. Would love to be able to sign a waiver or something to allow them to put this mail in the box.

- Training of different postmen seems a bit hit and miss. We got a new guy recently who was leaving mail in it but not scanning the barcode so we weren't getting emials. ended up with a week's mail sitting in the box! I caught him on the doorstep and showed him the barcode and all is good again.

- Postmen are supposed to collect outgoing mail left in the box. Again, they weren't doing this until I had the chat with the new guy, he's now picking up our outbgoing mail so this is very convenient as nearest postbox is a kilometre away.

- There's a round steel plate in the side that can be removed leaving a perspex window into the box. Handy to see in if you've got mail (especially when emails aren't coming through!)

- Some days we get junk mail only from An Post which goes in the box and generates the email, this is a bit annoying

Now that we've smoothed out the kinks I believe it was well worth getting, has saved us a few trips to the depot and acts as a postbox for non-urgent outgoing mail

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Cerdito wrote: »

- It's great for large packages sent via normal mail, don't need to go to the depot for these.

- Registered mail or anything where a signature is required is still a trip to the depot, they won't leave it in the box. Would love to be able to sign a waiver or something to allow them to put this mail in the box.

- Training of different postmen seems a bit hit and miss. We got a new guy recently who was leaving mail in it but not scanning the barcode so we weren't getting emials. ended up with a week's mail sitting in the box! I caught him on the doorstep and showed him the barcode and all is good again.

- Postmen are supposed to collect outgoing mail left in the box. Again, they weren't doing this until I had the chat with the new guy, he's now picking up our outbgoing mail so this is very convenient as nearest postbox is a kilometre away.

- There's a round steel plate in the side that can be removed leaving a perspex window into the box. Handy to see in if you've got mail (especially when emails aren't coming through!)

- Some days we get junk mail only from An Post which goes in the box and generates the email, this is a bit annoying

Now that we've smoothed out the kinks I believe it was well worth getting, has saved us a few trips to the depot and acts as a postbox for non-urgent outgoing mail

I thought the whole point was that anything in the box was considered as delivered and there was no need for a signature?

After reading the an post website again it seems that they wont put registered items in the box. For me that would be the whole point of getting a box.

"Signed For" packages/letters go in. Registered has legal concepts relating to proof of delivery to the actual person or an agent. Wouldn't want a summons being marked as received when you were on holiday for a month and using the box!

Our packets van driver will scan as will the relief postman we regularly get but the regular route postman just won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Saw the size of one today as my Postman had one in his van to deliver (it was wrapped up) but none of the parcels he dropped off to me would have fitted so I don't think I'll bother. Postman also said the only problem that he has found is that they aren't totally waterproof but that probably depends on where you put them up. Anywhere that gets the full force of the wind is going to have a hard time keeping the rain out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ei9go

Cerdito wrote: »

- Some days we get junk mail only from An Post which goes in the box and generates the emai

All you have to do is print a label that says "No Publicity Post" and stick it next to the barcode.

They then cannot deliver junk mail to your box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"Signed For" packages/letters go in. Registered has legal concepts relating to proof of delivery to the actual person or an agent. Wouldn't want a summons being marked as received when you were on holiday for a month and using the box!

Our packets van driver will scan as will the relief postman we regularly get but the regular route postman just won't.

well that is confusing. So the aliexpress parcels that have a registered post tracking number on them would go into the box?

Advertisement