Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bank of Ireland shares

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

codrulz wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't say that! back yourself and start small with well positioned stops if you want to start.

coming close enough to that 1.75 target no.

More not brave enough :D

Decided to buy at 1.82 before New York opened as I suspected Europe might rise post 2.30

Looks like I might have been right

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Decided to buy at 1.82 before New York opened as I suspected Europe might rise post 2.30

Looks like I might have been right

funnily enough closed off around that price this afternoon.
    Just saw/see better places to put that money atm - VIX/USDZAR/EURTRY

funnily enough closed off around that price this afternoon.
    Just saw/see better places to put that money atm - VIX/USDZAR/EURTRY

It bottomed at 1.81 according to Google finance, closed at 1.87 according to the same site ?

I bought on the LSE as Google finance gives me a live price for that listing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Yes, but the salary savings, while not booked, are expected to be greater.

Potential for members of the DB pension scheme taking redundancy to not accrue any more service which would also benefit BOI

• Advertisement

It bottomed at 1.81 according to Google finance, closed at 1.87 according to the same site ?

sorry - Meant I closed off my position around 1.82 !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

€1.869 at close, €1.81 in an after hours trade. Regular occurrence.

Interesting to see if we close above two today, looking strong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Interesting to see if we close above two today, looking strong
    It would be a strong buy signal if it does

Agreed. Close over 2 is a strong buy signal, risk sentiment changing a bit in the US and that’ll be the driver for BOI.

Timed closing that short well @1.82, and bought AIB @1:03 (which was undervalued, especially in the context of how BOI has performed over the last few sessions) up a decent chunk on that already and will sell and shift once I see BOI close >€2

• Advertisement

Agreed. Close over 2 is a strong buy signal, risk sentiment changing a bit in the US and that’ll be the driver for BOI.

Timed closing that short well @1.82, and bought AIB @1:03 (which was undervalued, especially in the context of how BOI has performed over the last few sessions) up a decent chunk on that already and will sell and shift once I see BOI close >€2

The chunk i rebought at 1.82 last week, I sold this morning at 1.98, still have 25 k worth of the stock long ,if we close above 2 ,il seriously consider buying CFD,s as it should rise past 2.10 if we close above 2 itself

The chunk i rebought at 1.82 last week, I sold this morning at 1.98, still have 25 k worth of the stock long ,if we close above 2 ,il seriously consider buying CFD,s as it should rise past 2.10 if we close above 2 itself

Great, yeah I agree.. BOI is a great one to trade CFDs with, there some nice levels you can pick out for yourself.. best of luck

Great, yeah I agree.. BOI is a great one to trade CFDs with, there some nice levels you can pick out for yourself.. best of luck

A case of having raised cash by selling some and maximising available cash once it appears the stock is breaking out

Haven't traded this one at all in months until that 8 k tranche last week, purchase average is 1.51

Biggest obstacle to a breakout is it left it so late ,with S+P nearing all time high, we are very overbought in the broader market, Bank-Of-Ireland isn't lively to move too much higher if market pulling back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

A case of having raised cash by selling some and maximising available cash once it appears the stock is breaking out

Haven't traded this one at all in months until that 8 k tranche last week, purchase average is 1.51

Biggest obstacle to a breakout is it left it so late ,with S+P nearing all time high, we are very overbought in the broader market, Bank-Of-Ireland isn't lively to move too much higher if market pulling back

ColdrulzI have read your posts with interest
    You had a good run up to 2 euro and sold,as I did
    Then, believing 2.05 to be a barrier ,you shorted the share,

That worked well, and you bought in at 1.82 ish to return them.

I too sold out my remaining sub 1.90 shares at 2.02 today, somewhat taking profit,and somewhat believing several posters that resistance was at 2.05
    At this moment this remains to be seen today

But my question is "how do you short" i know what shorting is, that you borrow shares and sell them, hoping to buy back at a lower price, then return them.

How do you convince your trading platform that you have them to sell(perhaps i am naive and degiro will sell for me when i dont have them).

If you do need to convince your platform that you have them, how is it done?

I think i read somewhere that Degiro have the right to loan my shares to shorters(for a fee), it does not trouble me, i assume they have the dough to replace them.
    Thanks in advance for any info

rugbyman wrote: »

I too sold out my remaining sub 1.90 shares at 2.02 today, somewhat taking profit,and somewhat believing several posters that resistance was at 2.05

But my question is "how do you short" i know what shorting is, that you borrow shares and sell them, hoping to buy back at a lower price, then return them.

How do you convince your trading platform that you have them to sell(perhaps i am naive and degiro will sell for me when i dont have them).

I think i read somewhere that Degiro have the right to loan my shares to shorters(for a fee), it does not trouble me, i assume they have the dough to replace them.

I didn't short ,I hedged my bets

Sold a quarter of my holding nine days ago or so @ 1.997 ,then bought back last Friday @1.82 ,sold that tranche today @1.98

Still holding most of what I've had for months

Hi, I'm not too familiar with the degiro platform and I'm sure there's someone more able to help, but I'll give you what info I can!
    You're bang on the money, to short a stock you don't need to own them. You can borrow those shares from a 3rd party in return for a fee - that same fee you're referring to from degiro. In my case I'm trading CFDs so its as simple to hit the sell button as it is the buy- no need to check account types etc.
    I have linked the de giro page discussing short selling on their platform etc. you may need a different account type to short so doublecheck.

Best of luck.

https://www.degiro.ie/helpcenter/faq/trading/1127

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Thank you both for your replies.
    i too, am sucessfully trading in B of Ireland

So Coldrulz, when you short or buy using cfd`S do you avoid stamp duty?

I found a tutorial on shorting with degiro just now, hard to hear the chap. will pursue this line

I have read often enough of the dangers of CFD`s, so I will tread warily

Regards

Though there are many , holding at 3 euro, and more, I would like this turmoil to continue. I wish all those holders luck, but not just yet.

Thank you both for your replies.
    i too, am sucessfully trading in B of Ireland

So Coldrulz, when you short or buy using cfd`S do you avoid stamp duty?

I found a tutorial on shorting with degiro just now, hard to hear the chap. will pursue this line

I have read often enough of the dangers of CFD`s, so I will tread warily

Regards

Though there are many , holding at 3 euro, and more, I would like this turmoil to continue. I wish all those holders luck, but not just yet.

yeah CFDs aren't liable for stamp duty (afaik), I actually use spread betting mostly which is also CGT exempt. just be sure to read up before, if you do decide to dip your toe.
    Agreed, with leverage comes risk but play it safe, keep plenty of capital free as a buffer, only open positions at attractive levels and don't be cheap on your SL, BOI,AIB are rangebound enough to play around with CFDs/spreadbet on for now IMO.
    https://www.cmcmarkets.com/en-ie/learn-spread-betting/spread-betting-vs-cfd

Time to go long now ?

I'll be adding now with a stop loss set at €1.79 but I'm confident that the worst is now behind us here

• Advertisement

Usually a slight dip before 8.30 in the morning so I'll buy back tomorrow

As I alluded to earlier, stock may have left it too late to rally ,pretty sharp reversal on wall st this evening, predictable as the all time high was a whisker away

I won't buy tomorrow unless we are up strongly

As I alluded to earlier, stock may have left it too late to rally ,pretty sharp reversal on wall st this evening, predictable as the all time high was a whisker away

I won't buy tomorrow unless we are up strongly

Yeah I think I agree.
    Unless I seem some convincing price action tomorrow, I'll be shorting again. We are right back to where we were at the start of June/May/Mar Highs. if it heads north of 2.1 or sustains this level (2.05) and looks to break for 2.25 I'll be looking to buy dips.. if it doesn't I'll be selling the highs.

Dumped another 5 k worth at the open for 2.07 , think it will take a while for S+P to break through to new highs and that will hold us back here ,happy to be wrong as I'm still long a sizeable chunk

Bought back this morning @ 1.87 ,didn't go with CFD,s

Wouldn't be surprised if it drops to 1.78 in coming day's but bought anyway

Shorted on Tuesday, added Wednesday with an avg price of 2.05- initial price target of 1.87 (where BOI gapped up last week) holding for now but may close of my EOD if there's not much more movement downwards.
    Once AIB hits 1.03 or so I'll be buying in there.

Bought back this morning @ 1.87 ,didn't go with CFD,s

Wouldn't be surprised if it drops to 1.78 in coming day's but bought anyway

I wouldn't be surprised hence why I put in a stop loss at €1.79. This is going to be a slow climb of the staircase with plenty slips on the way. I don't think anyone will suffer from fomo here for the foreseeable future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Here's the 5 year chart with the 50 day EMA.

Note that if you had bought when the price passed above the EMA and the EMA was rising and sold when it passed below, you would have made money.

But, note also that the long-term trend is very definitely down and is far from reversing.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Here's the 5 year chart with the 50 day EMA.

Note that if you had bought when the price passed above the EMA and the EMA was rising and sold when it passed below, you would have made money.

But, note also that the long-term trend is very definitely down and is far from reversing.

D.

Stock could rise 50% from here and the long term trend would still be down, it doesn't mean much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Stock could rise 50% from here and the long term trend would still be down, it doesn't mean much

You’ve said exactly what I said, but in another way. :)

D.

Advertisement