Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shaw Academy

• 12-05-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Anyone signed up to this crowd. Look legit and Ive heard of them before but they seem scammy.

As soon as you sign up, you get bombarded with calls and texts from foreign numbers. Then straight away I went to cancel my account and now all of a sudden I've to ring a Dublin number (during Indian working hours)

Anyone managed to get their account stopped and Im nervous who god now has my bank details since my number has gone out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Just signed up to them for a free month, with revolut virtual card details.
    Looks like a constant hard sell but I'm used to that, will see if there are any free lunches to be had... need something to keep me occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Got 4 free weeks on a bord gais promo (no CC details required) got so much texts/whatsapp's/emails i unsubscribed and deleted it all after one day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Also signed up using a Revolut card so I knew there would be no risk. Took a rather simple course I thought I'd find interesting only to realise quickly that the course classes were recorded over 2 years ago and a lot of the information was very outdated and almost none of it helped me with the equipment I currently have. Gave up 2 weeks in and tried to cancel only to be told (like a previous poster) that I would have to call to cancel. Was on the phone with them for nearly 30 minutes and they would not accept a cancellation and kept bombarding me with "reasons" to see it through. Eventually told them they could do what they liked as there was never going to be money in the account regardless and they agreed to cancel. Then I got an email saying they had given me a free month on my account - no mention of the cancellation. They've tried to charge my Revolut account by €50 twice in the last week.

Not to mention the call, email, push notification, Whatsapp AND text harrassment every single BLOODY day from the second I signed up! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Started getting calls straight away from “California“.
    Didn’t answer, changed email to an old spam collector address and changed number to an old business number that is always off... let them ring away.
    Will see in the coming week if the four courses I’ve signed up to are worth the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Bunch of scammers, took up a photography course that
    Was a load of waffle, forgot to cancel and they charged me €50 , tried to cancel online but not enough, had to call a number and automated voice went on for 20 minutes before I was properly cancelled. ****e course and ****e company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

It's unreal. I mean I eventually got through and got an email to say my account is cancelled. It's actually soured me using the website for the free month I now have. I've even went and got a new bank card cuz I dont trust they still wouldn't take money from my account such is it so spammy to date.

No lie the amount of spam emails you get.....your course is about to start.....you are late for your course......you have missed your course.....you can reschedule......It's a joke. In all fairness how do they expect to extract money out of us by spam emails....that turns you right off engaging.

bs2014 wrote: »
    It's unreal. I mean I eventually got through and got an email to say my account is cancelled. It's actually soured me using the website for the free month I now have. I've even went and got a new bank card cuz I dont trust they still wouldn't take money from my account such is it so spammy to date.

No lie the amount of spam emails you get.....your course is about to start.....you are late for your course......you have missed your course.....you can reschedule......It's a joke. In all fairness how do they expect to extract money out of us by spam emails....that turns you right off engaging.

And it was totally unnecessary. "Your course instructor is waiting for you". No she aint, she recorded this in 2017 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭paska

I signed up with these on a 50 euro offer and cancelled within a few days because they started to add on the costs. Course toolkit 50 euro, diploma 50 euro. I cancelled within my cooling off period but they are refusing to refund me.
    Looking now to take some action to get a refund. Smalls claims will cost me 25 euro but I rather get back 25 and put it in a charity box then let those scammers have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

How long ago was it? If it was within the cooling off period, and they are refusing a refund, you should be able to do a chargeback, assuming you paid by card.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

paska wrote: »
    I signed up with these on a 50 euro offer and cancelled within a few days because they started to add on the costs. Course toolkit 50 euro, diploma 50 euro. I cancelled within my cooling off period but they are refusing to refund me.
    Looking now to take some action to get a refund. Smalls claims will cost me 25 euro but I rather get back 25 and put it in a charity box then let those scammers have it.

The effort of Small Claims - postage on any replies if they query stuff etc - will eat that 25 up very quickly. Its really not worth it for less than low hundreds.

Registrar may basically refuse to take the case.

• Advertisement

I get your point about the giving to charity, Id be of a similar view myself. Thankfully I havent been charged anything even though Ive cancelled but all will be revealed on June 8th when my first month is up. The AMOUNT of spam emails you get from them is a total joke

seagull wrote: »
    How long ago was it? If it was within the cooling off period, and they are refusing a refund, you should be able to do a chargeback, assuming you paid by card.

I paid by revolut on May 11th and canceled May 18th. Never done a charge back before. how would I go about that. I assume I contact revolut in the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I paid by revolut on May 11th and canceled May 18th. Never done a charge back before. how would I go about that. I assume I contact revolut in the app?

https://blog.revolut.com/what-is-a-chargeback/

Folks this last number of weeks I've been getting spammed every single day from bogus numbers that look like Dublin or London numbers. Every time I block a number the numbers ring with a slightly different digit (these scammers must just buy up batches of phone numbers). I've tried to get 3 to block them but to no avail. Honestly think I'll have to change my number...99.9% sure it's from Shaws taking my details and giving them to scammers... anyone similar exp? Looks like my only option is get a whole new number which is such a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName

@bs2014 Report them to the Data Protection Commission. If it’s definitely them.

Regarding the cancellations of trials, after trying to cancel by email and being told to call and it being impossible to get through I mailed to ask why I can’t cancel over email. They said for “privacy and security reasons”, asked what their security concerns were and could I have a copy of their privacy policy, they cancelled and stopped following up straight away.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Folks this last number of weeks I've been getting spammed every single day from bogus numbers that look like Dublin or London numbers. Every time I block a number the numbers ring with a slightly different digit (these scammers must just buy up batches of phone numbers). I've tried to get 3 to block them but to no avail. Honestly think I'll have to change my number...99.9% sure it's from Shaws taking my details and giving them to scammers... anyone similar exp? Looks like my only option is get a whole new number which is such a pain

I'm getting those calls and I never signed up to Shaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

I have been plagued by texts and phone calls from them too. I spoke to someone weeks ago and asked them to remove my details from all of their data bases and I wanted nothing to do with them but the texts continue to come from various numbers. To make matters worse, they have taken €25 from my Paypal account (can't even remember giving them my details). Tried to get a pay back from PayPal with no success. I have emailed them today and asked for a refund since I had asked for them to remove all my details which they obviously didn't do. I also asked them for a record of all information they have on me through GDPR. Will wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

They are legit but they market and sell hard once they have your details

I signed up with them a few years ago, paid €200 for a lifetime membership which included everything bar hard copy certs. Now I have to pay for everything bar course work so feel fairly pi55ed off.

My advice if you want to do a course then for the sake of it make up an email address, give a fake phone number and pay them with a disposable card if possible. I have done quite a few of their courses and theyre good like, they just hound ya. Even when you are a member.

Also dont buy their University Accredited, theyre at best CPD hobby courses that can give you a taste for something

The best advise is to stay clear from this company. They are economical with the truth to say he least. Bottom feeders!!!!

Look for a professional company and ask questions about ongoing course material, certificates etc before you sign up.

Ask if you get everything or are there any "unlock extra material for €€€€€€"

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭c_f_p99

DON'T you dare trust this corporate piece of ****e! I signed up for the 4 week "free trial" and while I tried to cancel it today, I realised that I got charged €99.95 by them on the 4th September for a "premium membership" that I never signed up to. And of course, the amount of emails I got was sickening. I've no idea how to resolve that issue. Can somebody please help?

• Advertisement

over 4 months later, I am still getting plaqued with spam phone calls and texts. My only option now is to change my number which naturally Im trying to avoid. This all began as soon as I signed up to this cult.

I went to the gaurds last week and played the phone call I had with one which was very antagonising and intimidating especially when these people know your name. The gaurd said these scammers are using apps to phone people which make it look like 087 or 01 numbers so you will answer.

An embarassement of an Irish organisation

over 4 months later, I am still getting plaqued with spam phone calls and texts. My only option now is to change my number which naturally Im trying to avoid. This all began as soon as I signed up to this cult.

I went to the gaurds last week and played the phone call I had with one which was very antagonising and intimidating especially when these people know your name. The gaurd said these scammers are using apps to phone people which make it look like 087 or 01 numbers so you will answer.

An embarassement of an Irish organisation

I've been getting emails to my business account - which I did not use to sign up with them - as well as my personal account. And it's obvious they've worked out somehow that I'm the same person because they are mentioning the only course I ever did with them and have my full married name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The best advise is to stay clear from this company. They are economical with the truth to say he least. Bottom feeders!!!!

If anyone wants proof of this just read the reviews of the company on Glassdoor. They seem to treat their staff even worse than they treat their customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

IS there any point in complaining to the Data Protection Commissioner?

The problem is how do I actually proof they are giving/selling my details to corrupt prank callers. We all know it but proofing is it a diff thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Sign up with a throwaway email account that you use for nothing else. Put a cheap sim in a spare phone. If you suddenly start getting spam and prank calls, you know the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnieGuy

Shaw Academy recently reactivated my old account without my permission. I had cancelled my membership almost immediately after first registering as I found their marketing aggressive and their content below par.
    I noticed this charge on my bank statement within the last few days. I didnt bother even trying to contact Shaw Academy phoned my bank, and the fraud team changed my debit card and are refunding the charge to my account. They told me that a lot of people were reporting unauthorised charges coming from them.

I've recently been checking them out online. Trustpilot review site have red flagged them for trying to manipulate their reviews, and in June this year 'The Guardian' printed an expose on them!

They are a very slick snd legit looking operation and somehow manage to operate amid all of this..for the time being anyway!

JUST DON'T LET THEM NEAR YOUR BANK DETAILSFOR GOD'S SAKE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AnnieGuy

Anyone signed up to this crowd. Look legit and Ive heard of them before but they seem scammy.

As soon as you sign up, you get bombarded with calls and texts from foreign numbers. Then straight away I went to cancel my account and now all of a sudden I've to ring a Dublin number (during Indian working hours)

Anyone managed to get their account stopped and Im nervous who god now has my bank details since

DONT GO NEAR SHAW ACADEMY!!! Check out my post about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

These guys could be great I guess but there is an amazing amount of bad feeling out there about them.

https://www.shawacademyscam.com/

https://legitimateaffiliatetraining.com/the-shaw-academy-review-why-i-didnt-join/

Advertisement