Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Any current customers try to get the 500mb bb deal for €49 a month (for 6 months)? Online it’s for new customers only.
    Is it immoral to cancel and get the better deal in husbands name?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Any current customers try to get the 500mb bb deal for €49 a month (for 6 months)? Online it’s for new customers only.
    Is it immoral to cancel and get the better deal in husbands name?

Immoral?!

Only if you think new customers somehow have a divine right to pay less for the same product!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

pablo57 wrote: »
    Immoral?!

Only if you think new customers somehow have a divine right to pay less for the same product!

Lmao :DI was being facetious ;) But could they find out somehow! If I go calling them asking for discount and the say nah, then I go well actually can my husband sign up for new deal, can they say get lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Lmao :DI was being facetious ;) But could they find out somehow! If I go calling them asking for discount and the say nah, then I go well actually can my husband sign up for new deal, can they say get lost?

Just ring and select cancellation. When they ask why, tell them there's a better deal on Eir/Vodafone/Sky or whatever. Then they'll usually say they also have offers on and would you be interested to hear them. Say yes and listen to em. If you like one of the offers, then go with that. If not, tell them what you want, for example 6 months half price. They will usually agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭sphinx501

I have cancelled a TV/Phone/Broadband package - was offered Virgin Full House 250Mb at the new customer rates of €64/month for 6 months then €94/month. I pushed for 12 months to match other providers new customer offers.

I declined and now in cancellation period, what are the chances they will reach out again before I sign up to a new provider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

I cancelled over 2 weeks ago, and have heard nothing. Offered 6 months half price, but declined.

Service due to stop August 10th, Sky SIRO BB and TV for €50 p/m starting on 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Am due to move out in 3-7 months. When should I cancel? 30-31 Working Days (I.e. Excluding Saturdays/Sundays) before or simply a calendar month?

Am out of contract if that makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Am due to move out in 3-7 months. When should I cancel? 30-31 Working Days (I.e. Excluding Saturdays/Sundays) before or simply a calendar month?

Am out of contract if that makes a difference?

Need to give 30 days notice regardless of contract.

30 calendar days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have just handed in my 30 days notice. Best I was offered was 6 months half price €44 then 6 months full price €88 for tv, phone and broadband.
    I asked for 9 months and they wouldn’t budge.
    I see on their site they have 12 months for €59 for new customers :(
    Could my husband technically sign up now for this?
    I told them I will go to sky for €55 per month inc Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Millem wrote: »
    I have just handed in my 30 days notice. Best I was offered was 6 months half price €44 then 6 months full price €88 for tv, phone and broadband.
    I asked for 9 months and they wouldn’t budge.
    I see on their site they have 12 months for €59 for new customers :(
    Could my husband technically sign up now for this?
    I told them I will go to sky for €55 per month inc Netflix.

We were in same situation a few months back. Cancelled in OH's name and I signed up for the 60 a month offer then.

• Advertisement

We were in same situation a few months back. Cancelled in OH's name and I signed up for the 60 a month offer then.

Happy days did you do it online?
    I told the guy on the phone that I would do that! He said you can’t they do a check on the address? It would be suspended for 2 months! I told him that it was nonsense what if you were tenants etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I told the guy on the phone that I would do that! He said you can’t they do a check on the address? It would be suspended for 2 months! I told him that it was nonsense what if you were tenants etc?

He's just trying to frighten you into staying.
    Change your name to Irish and rejig the address e.g. instead of "1 the park" go
    "The Park Number 1" etc.
    I'd never use eir code as you can't "change" the address then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

okidoki987 wrote: »
    He's just trying to frighten you into staying.
    Change your name to Irish and rejig the address e.g. instead of "1 the park" go
    "The Park Number 1" etc.
    I'd never use eir code as you can't "change" the address then.

Why would you be bothered?? Just change if you have the option!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Mav11 wrote: »
    Why would you be bothered?? Just change if you have the option!
    It would be suspended for 2 months
    (if that's true :rolleyes:) and you don't know if the option is open for you or not.
    If you tried to change account holder to OH and they refused to allow, you may end up paying what they were asking for so no advantage.
    Only a small bit of work for a possible lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭Mav11

okidoki987 wrote: »
    (if that's true :rolleyes:) and you don't know if the option is open for you or not.
    If you tried to change account holder to OH and they refused to allow, you may end up paying what they were asking for so no advantage.
    Only a small bit of work for a possible lower price.

Moved to Vodafone last December. Very happy, haven’t looked back. When I think of the hoops that VM try to make customers jump through to try to get a reasonable price................:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I had asked them previously on chat if we were out of contract and cancelling from one name can another person in the house sign up as new, they said yes. We've done it for the last two years now.

I had asked them previously on chat if we were out of contract and cancelling from one name can another person in the house sign up as new, they said yes. We've done it for the last two years now.

Amazing thank you. When should I get him to sign up? Contract up on the 4th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well irony is that VM once they disconnect you all they need to do is just plug the cable back in in their own data center. no other changes are necessary at all aside assign new acc number to tie to PPPOE for billing, so to avoid any downtime, new person should ring and say they are taking over the existing line that expires on x day and they want to be up and running same day if possible- put extra emphasis on telling support that.

I called out the usual i can get anyone in family to sign up for less and VM simply dont care in the past. Thou had been disconnected by their mistake over cancelling and getting proper deal just last year, and thats what they did just unplugged cable on their end, and needed to wait few hours until got patched back in.

How are people finding Vodafone broadband? My husband is working from home so needs a reliable connection. He is thinks we should just stay with Virgin on the €59 new customer deal (if we can get it!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duit

I called them today and told them I wanted to move to Vodafone. I got 9 months 50% discount and 3 months at normal price. They started offering 15€ discount for 9 months which I refused. Customer agent told me he was going to check additional offers available for me. Wait for at least 15 min on the line and he came back with a 50% discount for 6 months. Asked him for 9 months and he agreed. Price is similar to Vodafone for 9 months and I can enjoy better speeds. Happy with my deal. Thank you to those that mentioned this offer before

• Advertisement

Duit wrote: »
    I called them today and told them I wanted to move to Vodafone. I got 9 months 50% discount and 3 months at normal price. They started offering 15€ discount for 9 months which I refused. Customer agent told me he was going to check additional offers available for me. Wait for at least 15 min on the line and he came back with a 50% discount for 6 months. Asked him for 9 months and he agreed. Price is similar to Vodafone for 9 months and I can enjoy better speeds. Happy with my deal. Thank you to those that mentioned this offer before

I asked for 9 months half price and they refused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

theres a chance for callback to offer that for you, thou small one.

ive been on 3yrs on 50off for 6mo, then last year after cancelling got a call for 9mo half price, now 3 months left so dunno stings to pay 70quid for BB alone, so def will need same incentive or move onto fiber- which seems is in the area but f all info from providers unless going for full sign up deal, as last time checking VF website it would return usual under 100mb speeds, then you browse business section for 1000mb speeds and it shows as available but aint sure why its not included when checking on eircode, as seems siro got another 80 mill investment for roll out, yet providers give little info in regards to availability/installation etc.

scamalert wrote: »
    theres a chance for callback to offer that for you, thou small one.

ive been on 3yrs on 50off for 6mo, then last year after cancelling got a call for 9mo half price, now 3 months left so dunno stings to pay 70quid for BB alone, so def will need same incentive or move onto fiber- which seems is in the area but f all info from providers unless going for full sign up deal, as last time checking VF website it would return usual under 100mb speeds, then you browse business section for 1000mb speeds and it shows as available but aint sure why its not included when checking on eircode, as seems siro got another 80 mill investment for roll out, yet providers give little info in regards to availability/installation etc.

I did a speed test today with Virgin bb and I got 121mbps.

I wouldn’t mind moving to Vodafone for bb for €30 we just need bb that works! We are happy with virgin!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duit

Did you asked directly for the offer or did you go through the "negotiation" approach? I believe that in order to get the 9 months there must be a referral to someone else. As a first offer they didn't offer me the 9 months 50% off, only after the customer services assistant offered me 6 months I was able to ask for a 9 months discount. Probably worth to give them a call again

Did you asked directly for the offer or did you go through the "negotiation" approach? I believe that in order to get the 9 months there must be a referral to someone else. As a first offer they didn't offer me the 9 months 50% off, only after the customer services assistant offered me 6 months I was able to ask for a 9 months discount. Probably worth to give them a call again

I went through negotiation, then asked them directly.
    They said I had too many good deals in the past and 9 months half price couldn’t be applied!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No its just random, depends who you get, where the moon is...

Just usual mickey mouse chaos from VM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

After much hassle I got 9 months half price on broadband and phone only (250mb) so 29.50 per month for 9 months then 58.99 for 3 months.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    After much hassle I got 9 months half price on broadband and phone only (250mb) so 28.50 per month for 9 months then 58.99 for 3 months.

That’s what I wanted!!! How did you manage it? I have cancelled. :(

My contract is up on 4th September so I might do the online order this week?
    As I presume it takes a week to get set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

That’s what I wanted!!! How did you manage it? I have cancelled. :(

My contract is up on 4th September so I might do the online order this week?
    As I presume it takes a week to get set up?
    I made a formal complaint about the transparency of getting an offer and the fact that every time I rang up I'd get offered different deals. They told me that this was because CS reps are trained so you can only get offered each type of discount once (I've had 9 months half price two years ago and 6 months half price last year). I said that would be fine but they never explained that to me and that their code of practice speaks of transparency around pricing. They said that applies only to official prices and not offers. Still by the end of the call they offered me 9 months half price but said they couldn't guarantee that would be available next year. I accepted that. I suspect I can find something to complain about next year. Or hopefully the year period will allow for SIRO and Vodafone to enhance their offerings in my neighbourhood.

It was thanks to a previous poster on here who said that complaints are the way to go as they must be closed out.

• Advertisement

cookie1977 wrote: »
    I made a formal complaint about the transparency of getting an offer and the fact that every time I rang up I'd get offered different deals. They told me that this was because CS reps are trained so you can only get offered each type of discount once (I've had 9 months half price two years ago and 6 months half price last year). I said that would be fine but they never explained that to me and that their code of practice speaks of transparency around pricing. They said that applies only to official prices and not offers. Still by the end of the call they offered me 9 months half price but said they couldn't guarantee that would be available next year. I accepted that. I suspect I can find something to complain about next year. Or hopefully the year period will allow for SIRO and Vodafone to enhance their offerings in my neighbourhood.

It was thanks to a previous poster on here who said that complaints are the way to go as they must be closed out.

Ok I just went onto switcher.ie and ordered the €59 deal for 12 months. I clicked on the box that I am a current virgin customer, gave bank details etc. Will see now if order goes through!

Advertisement