Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

CeilingFly wrote: »
    What's your expertise in roads engineering? I'll guess little or none.

As for aping Britain, there are tons of roundabouts all round Europe and they are particularly prevalent in France - and WAY more than the UK

I have a background in transportation and land use planning so I do know something about roads and transport issues.

I’ll care for you not to patronise me and condescend to me. I am entitled to my opinion. And my opinion is that too many roundabouts were built at junctions where they did not work well in this country.

Attack the post and not the poster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

At the end of every new stretch of motorway is a roundabout. Just look at the M17 as it traansitions into the Tuam bypass - a roundabout. Why was that not built as a free-flow junction?

First job when extending a motorway to add a few extra miles to it - is to remove the roundabout at the end of the existing motorway.

We should think free-flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

At the end of every new stretch of motorway is a roundabout.  Just look at the M17 as it traansitions into the Tuam bypass - a roundabout.  Why was that not built as a free-flow junction?

First job when extending a motorway to add a few extra miles to it - is to remove the roundabout at the end of the existing motorway.

We should think free-flow.
    One of the reasons for such solutions might be to slow traffic down from the motorway speeds at the end of the motorway. From safety perspective it is wise idea, even if it adds to work when motorway is eventually extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I have a background in transportation and land use planning so I do know something about roads and transport issues.

I’ll care for you not to patronise me and condescend to me. I am entitled to my opinion. And my opinion is that too many roundabouts were built at junctions where they did not work well in this country.

Attack the post and not the poster.

Trust me your better off not to answer him. Yes you are correct, too many roundabouts have been built in this country.
    For example The new Sallins Bypass junction should have the larger roundabout junction ie Kilcock M4. Not the Mickey Mouse arse job with a small roundabout either side of the junction that they currently have planned.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Geogregor wrote: »
    One of the reasons for such solutions might be to slow traffic down from the motorway speeds at the end of the motorway. From safety perspective it is wise idea, even if it adds to work when motorway is eventually extended.

Well, slowing from 120 kph to 100 kph does not require a roundabout. There is no roundabout at the end on the M4 coming into Dublin, when the slow down is to 80 kph, so not a universal idea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Well, slowing from 120 kph to 100 kph does not require a roundabout. There is no roundabout at the end on the M4 coming into Dublin, when the slow down is to 80 kph, so not a universal idea.

It's usually more for slowing down traffic before it comes onto a single carriageway or town/village etc. The N4 in Lucan doesn't have right turns or at grade junctions etc

Freeflow junctions need at least one bridge, roundabouts need no bridges, major cost saving right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just remember the 100kmh to 60kmh disaster before the M11 gap was filled. Motorway traffic going south, dualler ends going to S2 down a hill with a junction just there at the Beehive.

Massive accident rate.

Putting a roundabout (or more sensibly, a built junction) at the end of the motorway is common sense.

How is the M7 widening going? Are they putting roundabouts all over the place? I know at Kingswood and Rathcoole, they like roundabouts, even though the traffic levels hardly warrants it..

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Took a few pics from KerryGroup late last week....
    attachment.php?attachmentid=452621

attachment.php?attachmentid=452622

attachment.php?attachmentid=452623

attachment.php?attachmentid=452624

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Took a few pics from KerryGroup late last week....
    attachment.php?attachmentid=452621

attachment.php?attachmentid=452622

attachment.php?attachmentid=452623

attachment.php?attachmentid=452624

It’s really beginning to make excellent progress now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

pad199207 wrote: »
    It’s really beginning to make excellent progress now.

Good weather is really helping (not just here but on jobs nationwide!)

The demolition of that bridge is surely only around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

marno21 wrote: »
    Good weather is really helping (not just here but on jobs nationwide!)

The demolition of that bridge is surely only around the corner.

Will they not put in the new bridge first as the old bridge would be very handy for access to both sides of it whilst it’s being built? Providing the bridges aren’t overlapping at all, looking like they don’t from where the pads are being constructed.

Drainage works ongoing along the mainline:

6f6b6bd4-b900-46ab-93ac-39611c9a8fd6.JPG

Long shot of new J9A Osberstown:

d128c9a8-9813-42b6-8f2b-8fe25600ee97.JPG

New bridge at J9A to be constructed before demolition of existing accommodation crossing:

2b61f439-639d-4bba-b7f4-1a081eb5d592.JPG

Sallins bypass under construction: (new temporary Liffey bridge to be built soon to provide works access)

6ba6b13f-91dc-4915-978c-54237bdb1a5b.JPG

New roundabout location on Clane Road, Sallins:
    d97126a2-8164-4697-8b68-9e5f26dfcd2c.jpg

Drainage works on Sallins bypass:

56652d6c-49b7-4a3e-8be0-1be4641cfc1f.jpg

586df251-5b38-45e4-82d7-dac92b801562.jpg

Work to begin shortly on Sallins bypass bridge over the River Liffey:

d45abd3c-e4f1-4842-9e38-8c5adce1c772.jpg

View of mainline from existing bridge at Osberstown, including construction of centre pier for new junction overbridge:

274827e6-0df7-4aa7-a741-536212a133bd.jpg

Piling works for new J9A overbridge:

bb18a6d9-51f3-44af-a1d8-19215b480063.jpg

6fc4936e-cfc6-462c-8bf2-86a4eb1ec602.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

Great photos. I noticed today they had dig down all around the piers they piled for the new bridge. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭patrickc

They were working there during the night last night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Couple of Dutch artic trucks delivering something at the Sallins bypass works this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Couple of Dutch artic trucks delivering something at the Sallins bypass works this morning.

Must be flowers.

You know, keep the boys on side..

D Trent wrote: »
    Must be flowers.

You know, keep the boys on side..
    More likely Dutch Gold! :D

• Advertisement

More likely Dutch Gold! :D

I think you're right there. There's fine weather in the way next week so beer is a good shout

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Yep must be flowers, crates of beer, or - if trucks spotted on Clane end - could it be the temporary bridge for over the Liffey? :)

Also heard there was a bit of head scratching last month or 4 as mainline works discovered unexpected pipework at an awkward depth that had to be worked around for the drainage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I actually hadn't been on the M7 for the last two months, but drove to Newbridge last Saturday. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like very little has happened since I was last on the M7, although maybe those who are on it every day can tell me differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

gilly2308 wrote:
    I actually hadn't been on the M7 for the last two months, but drove to Newbridge last Saturday. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like very little has happened since I was last on the M7, although maybe those who are on it every day can tell me differently?

Most of the work is happening offline. I did notice however the large machine for forming the centre concrete barrier is now on site, shouldn't be too long before that begins.
    What people dont understand is the bulk of the work is buried, ie drainage and ducting. Once complete, the process of adding layers of stone and tarmac will happen very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

gilly2308 wrote: »

Seems to be have been a never ending drainage programme ongoing in the middle for the last few months. That phase finally seems to be coming to an end though and it looks like they are starting to cover them up. I'll be curious to see what the next work will be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Seems to be have been a never ending drainage programme ongoing in the middle for the last few months. That phase finally seems to be coming to an end though and it looks like they are starting to cover them up. I'll be curious to see what the next work will be

How does the drainage take so long? seriously they are only extending 1 junction long at the minute! Its not as if there was a road there already! There not be drainage there from the other 2 lanes? Plus they extended the whole of the Naas road in the same time that was 9 junctions long! I know the ryder cup was a big factor but still...

Im only talking about the lanes not all the new junction layouts obviously they will take time! Dreading when the schools go back road will be a nightmare again..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

benny79 wrote: »
    How does the drainage take so long? seriously they are only extending 1 junction long at the minute! Its not as if there was a road there already! There not be drainage there from the other 2 lanes?
    Sometimes these projects are used as a way of doing other work that needs to be done at the same time.

You know: sure them lads are digging up there, let's replace the piping with bigger/newer piping while they're at it, rather than ripping it up again later - which I'm sure you'd be complaining about if that happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

benny79 wrote: »
    How does the drainage take so long? seriously they are only extending 1 junction long at the minute! Its not as if there was a road there already! There not be drainage there from the other 2 lanes? Plus they extended the whole of the Naas road in the same time that was 9 junctions long! I know the ryder cup was a big factor but still...

Im only talking about the lanes not all the new junction layouts obviously they will take time! Dreading when the schools go back road will be a nightmare again..

And your experience of drainage systems and road engineering is????????

I just cannot understand the whining posts of some people - maybe ask for information of the drainage rather that do a whining post especially when you have zero experience in the field. There are plenty of experienced people on these threads, but they tend to respond to reasonable queries than a whine

And you think that they can widen the road and then simply bolt on the two ne junctions later? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

CeilingFly wrote: »
    And your experience of drainage systems and road engineering is????????

I just cannot understand the whining posts of some people - maybe ask for information of the drainage rather that do a whining post especially when you have zero experience in the field. There are plenty of experienced people on these threads, but they tend to respond to reasonable queries than a whine

And you think that they can widen the road and then simply bolt on the two ne junctions later? Seriously?

Excellent post. I know for a fact the drainage on the mainline is very deep and involves a lot of trench box use which means very slow progress. Plus when the current work area is fully tarred and finished I’ll be assuming they will be digging up and replacing the road from foundation to finish , on the current 2 lanes both ways that are in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

The centre foundations of new mainline bridge at Kerry are now above ground ready for pillars. Looks like 2 or 3 new foundations for signage/gantries on the centre of mainline are complete/nearly there. Hardcore(?) for sections of the new centre lane surface on mainline is going in and being profiled. Rebar footings for the central reservation are in along lot of the site.

The railway bridge construction site (separate contract) is cleared both sides.

The north side ramp to canal bridge is getting there - started from field well below canal level. The south side ramp to canal bridge has not started.

Looks like piling machine started foundations for the northern Liffey bridge near Clane. Guess that is for permanent bridge - maybe the temporary one already in?

Various lane closures all nights this week. http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/M7OvernightTemporaryLaneClosuresM7WestboundandM7Eastbound.html.

Diversion up and over J9 tonight. http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/M7OvernightDiversionJunction9Eastbound.html

Advertisement