Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mature student advice needed.

Options
  • 11-08-2019 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I walked out of school at age 16, and into the industry that spent the last number of years in. I loved the industry, and ended up running a business. However, due to injury, I now need to refocus. I have always loved creative writing, and won competitions in the past. This is the direction I would like to pursue.
    Nuig offer a ba in creative writing. Any know if anywhere else that does something similar?

Being outside of the education system for so long, I have no idea where to start with this process. I would love to be able to do the course with distance learning, because I have a house here, and other responsibilities, so relocAting would be pointless, difficult and unnecessarily expensive if it could be avoided.

Any advice where to start with this is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,076 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Look up a site called qualifax.ie it's a great database of courses available country wide from entry level to postgraduate part time and full time.

https://www.qualifax.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Generally mature students don't have to jump through the same hoops and have far fewer restrictions. You mentioned a particular course here. Send them an email, explaining what you've said here and see what they say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I would strongly caution you to think very carefully about two things.

One, while distance learning is convenient, it is not for everyone. Especially if you have been out of education for a long time. Also, don't forget the social aspect of learning - if you are immersed in a creative environment of fellow writers, think how that would help your own writing. Contrast that to sitting in front of a computer screen, lacking motivation not easily being able to grab a coffee with fellow students.

(full disclosure: I work in Higher Education and I am involved with both full-time and online programmes. So I hope you appreciate where I am coming from)

Secondly, have you considered the career options of creative writing? I personally know of an author who has published two non-fiction books, is pretty much a pauper and has decided to write a crime novel as the only way to stand a chance of making money. While you may get work in the areas such as technical writing, can you realistically make a living as a creative writer?

I would always recommend students follow their dreams and choose a programme that matches their interests. But you also have to balance the economic reality at the end of the 3/4 years.

Where to start: pick up the phone to colleges/universities. Look for the number of the admissions office on their website. Don't bother emailing them, especially at this time of the year.

Advertisement