Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sounds From A Safe Harbour 2019 - Cork - September 12th to 15th

Options
  • 13-05-2019 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

This small, but excellent festival happens every 2 years, the third installment of the festival is on this year from September 12th to 15th at venues all around Cork city.

www.soundsfromasafeharbour.com

Some of the bigger nanes from the 2017 festival include Bon Iver & The National who played their first live gig showcasing tracks from their new album “Sleep Well Beast”.

A wide variety of music and art, at venues big and small. The last two festivala were received very well.

The full programme won’t be announced for a while yet, but the first act is being annouced in the coming days.

Some good festival insight here:

https://nialler9.com/inspiring-sounds-from-a-safe-harbour/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

fafy wrote: »
    This small, but excellent festival happens every 2 years, the third installment of the festival is on this year from September 12th to 15th at venues all around Cork city.

www.soundsfromasafeharbour.com

Some of the bigger nanes from the 2017 festival include Bon Iver & The National who played their first live gig showcasing tracks from their new album “Sleep Well Beast”.

A wide variety of music and art, at venues big and small. The last two festivala were received very well.

The full programme won’t be announced for a while yet, but the first act is being annouced in the coming days.

Some good festival insight here:

https://nialler9.com/inspiring-sounds-from-a-safe-harbour/

Any rumours about who this is? Loved this festival both times it was on.

Year 1 was great even without the big name performances - a good buzz around the place, lots of pop up performances in cool locations, etc.

Year 2 was on another level - the National and Bon Iver in Cork Opera House, Big Red Machine at St Luke's Church, Justin Vernon and Sean Carey in CIT School of Music, and Ear Den, the series of small performances in the Rearden's complex... All superb.

Any of the murmurings I've heard so far have suggested that none of the acts will be as big as the National and Bon Iver this time but nobody seems to know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭fafy

Any rumours about who this is? Loved this festival both times it was on.

Year 1 was great even without the big name performances - a good buzz around the place, lots of pop up performances in cool locations, etc.

Year 2 was on another level - the National and Bon Iver in Cork Opera House, Big Red Machine at St Luke's Church, Justin Vernon and Sean Carey in CIT School of Music, and Ear Den, the series of small performances in the Rearden's complex... All superb.

Any of the murmurings I've heard so far have suggested that none of the acts will be as big as the National and Bon Iver this time but nobody seems to know for sure.

I attended a good few, The National, The Gloaming, and some of the experimental music stuff, also some of the food and art events also, and Ear Den in 2017, was particulaly outstanding.

i am hearing, the first annoucement is expected any day, possibly tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

I heard Thom Yorke could potentially be playing it.

I heard Thom Yorke could potentially be playing it.

:eek:

:eek:

I heard that also, quite a while ago actually, he is performing a new classical piece piece with Bryce Dresner (SFASH regular)and others, at a very small number of gogs around europe. The Minimalist Dream House” band- is their name.

And the break in The National’s tour, is exactly coinciding, with SFASF and has been mentioned, and Thom is logistically available, he has solo gigs during July and was added recently to October’s Austin City Limits festival, so in short, he is touring.

• Advertisement

And confirmed: first announcements tomorrow as per SFSH on Twitter and Instagram. (and presumably Facebook...)

And confirmed: first announcements tomorrow as per SFSH on Twitter and Instagram. (and presumably Facebook...)

Great, looking forward to seeing what they have for us, but we’l only get a few acts announced tomorrow, its a drip feed of info, spread over several weeks, at least thats the way it went, in the previous 2 festivals- 2015 & 2017 Keeps the interest going i suppose, and as this is quite a different festival, with interesting art and food events, it certainly keeps me interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Damien Rice ffs!! Was hoping for The National or Bon Iver at least.

https://t.co/eszhlXVobT

Damien Rice and Feist among the first acts announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Rice puts on a good 'ol show to be fair to him. (he ain't a million miles from Bon Iver - IMO not a massive fan of either)

Sunday looks like a nice tribute too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Rice puts on a good 'ol show to be fair to him.

He was bloody brilliant at Live At The Marquee in Cork a few years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Yeah I caught him a few years ago at NOS Primavera and was very impressed. Got nice and loud and heavy at times!

Have never seen Rice before so might see if tickets are still available close to the time. He'll be performing with Gemma Sugrue and the Voiceworks choir, which backed Bon Iver last time.

Feist is a nice booking - her 2017 album 'Pleasure' is excellent - but is the Opera House not a bit big for her? Or am I underestimating her appeal?

There'll be plenty more to come I'd imagine but I will say that I didn't expect it to be the National and Bon Iver again. All their other festivals have been full of smaller acts, collaborations, etc rather than well-established headline bands; and it would be a bit predictable if it was just those two every two years.

Speaking at 2017 (and in all the presser material today) Justin Vernon said...
    “We need our music to surprise us,

we need our festivals to surprise us,

this is not entertainment,

this is a spiritual ****ing thing.”

- Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), Sounds from a Safe Harbour 2017

Returning with the same bands wouldn't exactly fit the ethos of "surprise" tbf.

He is superb, great act, delighted with this, think he has a new album in the works also.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was at that show. He was excellent in fairness to him. He really filled the stage that night.

I was at that show. He was excellent in fairness to him. He really filled the stage that night.

Great gig, and all on his own. I went to the Grand Canal Theatre to see him after that album came out -MFFF, and he brought on the Dublin Gospel Choir for “Trusty & True”, which really worked well.

For the 3 Cork Opera House gigs:

Damien Rice May 13th
    Feist May 14th
    LHASA May 15th

These were confirmed to me, as being fully seated gigs. At the 2017 SFASH festival, the ground floor was standing, but not this time around.

I hadn’t realised that the just announced 3 Cork Opera House gigs, all have a 10pm start time, so i assume, there will be other SFASH events on prior to these gigs, at the Cork Opera House

IF there are other earlier gigs on, this may mean we get a few more quality headliners, yet to be announced for the festival.

The next announcement of acts is tomorrow morning at 10am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

For our second announcement we present to you...
    �� Grandbrothers // Fri 13 Sept // 8pm
    �� Efterklang // Sat 14 Sept // 4pm
    �� Sam Amidon // Sun 15 Sept // 6pm
    All under one roof, the beautiful Live At St. Luke's

• Advertisement

Efterklang is a good booking - I thought they'd split up? Will definitely get tickets to them and probably Feist.

Not as good as last time but I'm interested so far.

Nialler9 said on his podcast during the week that he is coordinating another music trail this year too. That has been brilliant the last two years; loads of good Irish acts in tiny venues for free. Managed to catch Talos, Brian Deady, Sorcha Richardson and a few others the last two times, and only missed out on Ships, Cinema and a few others because they clashed with stuff I had tickets for!

Efterklang is a good booking - I thought they'd split up? Will definitely get tickets to them and probably Feist.

Not as good as last time but I'm interested so far.

Nialler9 said on his podcast during the week that he is coordinating another music trail this year too. That has been brilliant the last two years; loads of good Irish acts in tiny venues for free. Managed to catch Talos, Brian Deady, Sorcha Richardson and a few others the last two times, and only missed out on Ships, Cinema and a few others because they clashed with stuff I had tickets for!

Another great batch announced, and i really like the way they have spaced out the gig timings, so you can do two gigs in the same evening, if you want to.

Much more to come also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Its some drop in quality of acts from 2 years ago though .
    Very disappointing lineup but I guess we were spoiled in 2017.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Its some drop in quality of acts from 2 years ago though .
    Very disappointing lineup but I guess we were spoiled in 2017.

Efterklang are unreal, i’l definitely be going them and Feist later that night at Cork Opera House.

This festival was never about getting big names, but high quality music, and it has certainly delivered on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Website keeps crashing on me. It wouldn't allow me get to checkout.

It crashed last year as well but I was at the box office to get them myself.
    Disappointing it crashed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Website keeps crashing on me.

Was lucky enough to get in for Damien Rice, but every time you selected seats they were gone.
    Eventually got two fairly far back.
    Show was marked sold out before the site crashed.

Anyone have a basket for Damien Rice they aren't using?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Website keeps crashing on me. It wouldn't allow me get to checkout.

It crashed last year as well but I was the box office to get them myself. Disappointing.
    Same here, failed at payment stage twice and now site doesnt load at all

I did it old school, in q before 8am, so thankfully got exactly what i wanted Damien & Feist a few rows from front, there was a good crowd lining up at the Opera House, maybe 50plus as i was leaving.

• Advertisement

fafy wrote: »
    I did it old school, in q before 8am, so thankfully got exactly what i wanted Damien & Feist a few rows from front, there was a good crowd lining up at the Opera House, maybe 50plus as i was leaving.

I did that the last time for Bon Iver but risked phones and online for today's sale.

Advertisement