Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unsure if its a scam website/Call/Text?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,868 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

herlihyd wrote:
    Hi guys I ordered christmas gifts on line using my debit card, the site was called Mobileinterceptor, but reading up on the site the reviews are really bad, extra money been taking out of there accounts, money been taking out but no toys delivered etc. I've tried emailing them but they have not replied back, I ordered the toys yester but no money was taking out yet. Did anyone order from this company.

I wouldn't expect a reply over the weekend.

If you are worried or you don't get the goods then you can do a charge back on the card

This company might turn out to be OK but in future you should try stick with known reputable companies when online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I know someone who ordered something off a website and only found out afterwards that they had a terrible reputation. He got his money back from the credit card company.

As the person above me said, in future order from reputable websites. They might be dearer but at least your item will arrive. It'll also give you a better chance of getting a replacement or refund if there is a problem with what you ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

OP was it mobileinterceptor.co.uk?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Mod note:

Hi OP, I'm moving your thread to the Consumer Issues issues forum, as it's more suited there.

All posters should note that the Consumer Issues charter now applies.

Mod: merge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A search that yields scam adviser results is not a good sign.

Also, the site is not secure (no https site available). Was there any security on the payment page (padlock symbol and https (not just http) in address bar?

First thing to do would be to contact your bank and cancel the card unless you're fairly certain it's legit, but it doesn't seem to be. At the very least an authorisation for the amount would appear in online banking once a transaction takes place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Online Buying for merging with duplicate thread.

OP, please do not create duplicate threads on the same topic in future.

laotg wrote: »

I just had a quick look at that site. No physical address that I found & you must have one by law. The pages aren't secure though "maybe" it is secure by the time you pay. SSL security costs as little as 50 euro per year. Their t&cs aren't legal as that page states very little. No cookie window, again illegal their returns policy is illegal. No mention of eu law & 14 day return. The site design is a woo commerce site & very basic

It might be a genuine site run by a 10 year old child but that about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

laotg wrote: »

Well just a little reading of some pages on that site would make me run a mile
    Not even a secure checkout page or indication of who is processing their orders if anyone and they are just manually processing credit card numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

fritzelly wrote: »
    Well just a little reading of some pages on that site would make me run a mile
    Not even a secure checkout page or indication of who is processing their orders if anyone and they are just manually processing credit card numbers

Also if you click About Us

About Us
    We are a professional specializer for providing nike shoes. We aim to provide the best nike shoes at a comparatively cheaper price by setting up a long-term cooperative relation directly with the manufacturer.We promise that all nike shoes at our store are 100% high quality guarantee. We are legit wholesales for nike shoes. Purchasing from our online shop, you will benefit from high-standard quality products, fast delivery and great customer service. We are eagerly looking forward to your visit and your feedbacks. Have a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Their delivery page is a total mouthful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was looking for a hard to find item & I found this website. I can't find anything about them on the net & their pages aren't secure. I don't know whether to risk an order & whether I would be protected by my card company ?

http://www.price-ryder.co.uk/

I’d run a country mile.

The URL name doesn’t match the shop name. The site was only registered in September 2018. Everything is a “bargain” and there’s no physical address.

dudara wrote: »
    I’d run a country mile.

The URL name doesn’t match the shop name. The site was only registered in September 2018. Everything is a “bargain” and there’s no physical address.

Would credit card protection apply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭the varg

Scam scam scam 100% you get a lot of sites like this popping up in the run up to Christmas. No SSL cert do not enter any details unless you are OK with them being passed unencrypted. Nothing nice on the site anyway ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Discodog wrote: »

So the site absolutely screams scam site at you, a long time member here has said the same, but you still are tempted.

Seriously?

Frankly I don't think credit card protection should apply to people who fall for such obvious scams

Probably yes, but why would you do it? There’s a greater risk of your details being shared/sold, plus your credit card provider could consider the purchase to be willfully negligent.

So the site absolutely screams scam site at you, a long time member here has said the same, but you still are tempted.

Seriously?

Frankly I don't think credit card protection should apply to people who fall for such obvious scams

Yes because it came up on a google search for one item, a Helly Hansen jacket that is really difficult to find.

I was suspicious & I posted here to get advice - that is what the forum is for :rolleyes:

the varg wrote: »
    Scam scam scam 100% you get a lot of sites like this popping up in the run up to Christmas. No SSL cert do not enter any details unless you are OK with them being passed unencrypted. Nothing nice on the site anyway ;-)

But isn't that strange ? If you are going to set up a scam site surely you would choose items that are in demand ?

Yes because it came up on a google search for one item, a Helly Hansen jacket that is really difficult to find.

I was suspicious & I posted here to get advice - that is what the forum is for :rolleyes:

Strong probability also that these are fake goods or will never be delivered. Quality goods only tend to be sold through approved retailers. Not sure about Helly Hansen but if you contacted them, they could tell you if the site was a genuine reseller

dudara wrote: »
    Strong probability also that these are fake goods or will never be delivered. Quality goods only tend to be sold through approved retailers. Not sure about Helly Hansen but if you contacted them, they could tell you if the site was a genuine reseller

I will ask them but they don't list this jacket even though it's widely sold in the USA. I suspect that there is a US division of HH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its also another case of a former domain for something completely unconnected being reused:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130723081255/http://www.price-ryder.co.uk:80/

Its a complete scam.

L1011 wrote: »
    Its also another case of a former domain for something completely unconnected being reused:

http://web.archive.org/web/20130723081255/http://www.price-ryder.co.uk:80/

Its a complete scam.

That explains this :D

https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/price-ryder-trading-company.693788/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Has anyone here used this online store before? Seems very reasonably priced products.

https://www.fragrancedirect.co.uk

Kolido wrote: »
    Has anyone here used this online store before? Seems very reasonably priced products.

The problem I see with sites like this one is not so much as they are dodgy sites but is the perfume & aftershave counterfeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭BobMc

used couple times, goods seem legit to me, J.P Gaultier last year a gift set, and CK this year

• Registered Users Posts: 45,811 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Magees pharmacy in Letterkenny offer free delivery on orders over €40. Very popular place and prices on after shave and perfume is normally cheaper than most online retailers especially in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

muffler wrote: »
    Magees pharmacy in Letterkenny offer free delivery on orders over €40. Very popular place and prices on after shave and perfume is normally cheaper than most online retailers especially in the UK

They are even cheaper than the uk site, how are they selling at such low prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,811 ✭✭✭✭muffler

They are even cheaper than the uk site, how are they selling at such low prices?
    Yeah, the prices are low and Im guessing its because they are buying in bulk. They are literally packed to the door at this time of year. My wife, daughter and other extended family members all shop there in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

The margins on this type of product are enormous. A friend who worked in the industry told me that the packaging for one product cost more than the contents. In 2017, Estee Lauder a five-year gross margin average of 80.19 percent.

If the retailer is prepared to take a lesser margin they can do fine on volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

I ordered 5 items from an online shop which I thought was in France. They have an address registered in France and they accept Paypal so I thought it would be safe enough. After I placed the order I was told the items would be sent from Morocco.

A few days later I was told that one of the items was unavailable and I was refunded for it. I was told the other 4 items had been sent with Fedex and was given a tracking number. That was on Tuesday but the tracking number is still not showing up on the Fedex website.

I emailed the shop and they said Fedex had a problem with my address. I confirmed that they had my correct and complete address and they assured me that the tracking number was correct.

Today I have had phone calls from two separate mobile phone numbers from Morocco, both claiming to be Fedex. They each asked me to text them my address, which I did. I asked each to text me back a tracking number but neither of them has done so. I've googled the numbers and they are just random mobile numbers. I doubt Fedex would deal with customers like that, would they?

If it is a scam I'm not sure how it works but it's a bit weird. Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Or am I just being paranoid?

Advertisement