Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parents involvement

• 15-09-2019 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Hey I guess I just wondering am I right to feel hurt by the below or does this happen when a new principal comes.

My child in fourth class I been involved in parents council since he in junior infants under principal A who has just retired and principal b has taken over a teacher from the school not the deputy tho.

Over first two weeks new principal asked me a few things and told me to contact her with the answers so as she a new principal I emailed her the reply’s to her 15 items and I happen to ask for the health and safety policy cause I wanted to know if anything in it about a issue that was now happening.

Last Tuesday the school rang me to come meet principal on Friday. Thought nothing really if it maybe she wanted more details on fundraising.

Instead she accuses me of borderline harassment and told me I had no right to as the school to provide policies and parents would get them when she felt like it.

I am a parent who has personally donated over 10k in a mixture of cash for Easter draws and hampers at Xmas draws along with a hamper for the teachers to raffle off. I never asked for anything in return I took delight in giving to the school and it meant that when prizes were good parents gave more meaning that €79000 has been raised in five years the school has a new playgroeyabd Astro turf pitch.
    The school didn’t have a parents Council when I started as no one was interested I started out on my own and now there four of us all my friends who will come in at help at Xmas and Easter draw and the fete.
    But I did all the buying organizing and planning.
    It seems after the meeting I no longer wanted she told me that you done good work but I spoken to other principals and I feel we disadvantaging ourselves by fundraising and that having parents coming in is a breach of school dats rules.
    To me it’s basically i been told I am surplus to requirements.
    I in a stare of shock cause to first accuse me of harressment cause I sent emails instead of calling hersifh all the answers and then to be told indisadcsbting the school.
    It goes without saying I giving the set of keys I have setting up fetes back tomorrow morning.
    I just debating should I even write a letter saying why or was this always going to happen under new principal but I didn’t see it coming.????

Comments

You did all the above to help the school I assume so I’m not sure why you are so insulted by this issue? You did not do it for this new principal but you feel all your work should be noted and you shouldn’t be pulled up on this due to all the money you donated? I’m not sure why this has affected you so much it is just a clash with the new principal? No need to throw all your work away if you are doing it for the benefit of the school?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

You did all the above to help the school I assume so I’m not sure why you are so insulted by this issue? You did not do it for this new principal but you feel all your work should be noted and you shouldn’t be pulled up on this due to all the money you donated? I’m not sure why this has affected you so much it is just a clash with the new principal? No need to throw all your work away if you are doing it for the benefit of the school?

Julie the thing is she basically told in around about way she doesn’t want me involved anymore and why I upset is that I did all the work to benefit the school and she sees no value in that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

OP, the new principal obviously has no idea of your value to the school, but, given that your role was a voluntary one I would suggest the best course of action would be to accept the wishes of the principal (he/she has their own ideas and processes).

No harm in letting the others involved know that the new doesn't want non school employees involved in assisting the school activities, with a bit of luck the new regime will change their mind and ask for your help in the future, be proud of your achievements even if you are not appreciated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

OP, the new principal obviously has no idea of your value to the school, but, given that your role was a voluntary one I would suggest the best course of action would be to accept the wishes of the principal (he/she has their own ideas and processes).

No harm in letting the others involved know that the new doesn't want non school employees involved in assisting the school activities, with a bit of luck the new regime will change their mind and ask for your help in the future, be proud of your achievements even if you are not appreciated.

Not sure I agree here, if other parents want to make their own calls on helping/not helping, I think the OP should let them. Trying to organize a pull out would make it seem that the OP is trying to undermine their child's school and the new principal. Yes, it's tough that their previous fundraising doesn't seem to give them a position of special privilege, but at the end of the day, fundraising benefits their child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

It sounds to me like the new Principal feels you are a little over involved, for their liking. They are a new brush, and they are cleaning house.

The fact that you donated so much time and money is absolutely to your credit, but ultimately, does not give you any special privileges.

I think you should take a step back, be gracious about it, and accept that the new Principal will have their own way of doing things.

Alienating the new Principal at this point, will do you no favours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

The OP said there's a group of about 4 that are the main fund raisers/contributors to helping the school out, I was referring to him/her informing that core group to make them aware of the situation, I'm sure the others may feel as annoyed as the OP - forewarned is forearmed - if the OP tells them they may not be shocked if the principal takes the same attitude to their help.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Kathnora

OP ... You had a query about the school's health and safety policy in relation to some ongoing incident/event. I think this is the raw nerve you touched and the new principal is on the defense ever since and perhaps your contributions to the school in terms of time and fund raising efforts is now being seen as "too much" or "too involved". Maybe you crossed the line with your query? Who knows? Not for me to say... I'm just trying to interpret the principal's reaction. Of course you have to make allowances for the fact that the new principal may want to keep parents at arms length unlike his/her predecessor ....different personalities and priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

OP here I sent in my resignation letter today thanks for all the comments you are all right I just have accept to new principal I surplus to requirements.
    Thanks again

Advertisement