Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering studying two degrees at once, how would it work with exemptions?

• 15-09-2019 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I'm looking at keeping up my full time business degree (currently a 2nd year) while taking up a part time BA in English.

The part time degree will be 75ECTS of English & Drama with the rest of the 180ECTS coming from the minor in Marketing and the majority of my electives are in Management, I'd get a number of exemptions from the first year of my business degree.

Could I keep both going?
    This way I would essentially use the business degree to get exemptions as I go along because I'd always be a year ahead of the English degree.

I would only really be studying an extra 75ECTS as opposed to 180ECTS but I'd get a degree in English as well as my current business degree, studying English doesn't really feel like studying anyway and the cost isn't terrible either.

The end goal is teaching both English and Business but I've also been looking at going into the area of Advertising or PR too.

I'll have a chat with college admissions but I just thought someone here might be able to save me the embarrassment if I'm completely wrong.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

MrMiata wrote: »
    I'm looking at keeping up my full time business degree (currently a 2nd year) while taking up a part time BA in English.

The part time degree will be 75ECTS of English & Drama with the rest of the 180ECTS coming from the minor in Marketing and the majority of my electives are in Management, I'd get a number of exemptions from the first year of my business degree.

Could I keep both going?
    This way I would essentially use the business degree to get exemptions as I go along because I'd always be a year ahead of the English degree.

I would only really be studying an extra 75ECTS as opposed to 180ECTS but I'd get a degree in English as well as my current business degree, studying English doesn't really feel like studying anyway and the cost isn't terrible either.

The end goal is teaching both English and Business but I've also been looking at going into the area of Advertising or PR too.

I'll have a chat with college admissions but I just thought someone here might be able to save me the embarrassment if I'm completely wrong.

Any ideas?

Seems like an awful lot to take on from my perspective (I have 3 degrees but obviously did them separately)

Can't imagine you would get through it without there being serious clashes at times in terms of deadlines or exams.
    One advantage is that you would probably only pay fees semester by semester and could park it if it became too much and come back to it.
    Could you not do postgrads afterwards to give you access to teaching other subjects or getting in to other industries.

If you were a mate or sibling of mine, I'd suggest not to do it, devote the time you think you could put in to the extra study in to your personal life, hobbies, exercise, friends, partner, etc. That would stand you better in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

Seems like an awful lot to take on from my perspective (I have 3 degrees but obviously did them separately)

Can't imagine you would get through it without there being serious clashes at times in terms of deadlines or exams.
    One advantage is that you would probably only pay fees semester by semester and could park it if it became too much and come back to it.
    Could you not do postgrads afterwards to give you access to teaching other subjects or getting in to other industries.

If you were a mate or sibling of mine, I'd suggest not to do it, devote the time you think you could put in to the extra study in to your personal life, hobbies, exercise, friends, partner, etc. That would stand you better in the long run.

I'm lucky that the part time course is very flexible, every lecture/workshop is on a Saturday and assignments are fairly spread out.
    There's also no final exam either so there won't be any clashing there.

I've been looking at doing a post grad too but this would work out cheaper if I could manage it.
    It's actually working out cheaper than if I was to go back and start into a full time Arts course.

I've got a couple of things I'm also doing but I find if I'm left to sit I won't do a tap, so even though I might like reading Dickens I won't unless I've an assignment due in a week.

Most of my friends are in the final years of their respective courses or they've started working.
    I'll still be going out with them but none of us are really going out as college students, we all live at home and go out for bigger nights out, so I'm not missing much in that regard.

I'm 22, I should be finished my degree already (my original course would have been 3 years), I'd like to get out and started into work as soon as possible which is another reason I'm looking at lumping this in now so I don't have to undertake a masters before starting my HDIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I would suggest you go read "the Art of War" by Sun Tzu.
    You cannot fight a war on two fronts. It is impossible and proven time and time again. Finish one degree at a time and hey once you are done with a level 8 degree you can almost do a masters in a degree in whatever you like. You could end up broken very easily with no degree.

Get good advice and thread carefully.

Advertisement