Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Audax Rides

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Slowly, just short of halfway on our Fleche from Dublin to Nenagh and back again.

Finished! 372km with 20 minutes to spare. Started with four riders finished with the bare minimum of three. The Rollingscone did himself proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Doc07

Re Easter Flèche, 4 brave/hardy/mad lads did approx 530km in 24hr and arrived safely back in Dublin this am. 3 Orwell and a guest. It's a new Irish record and I believe first time over 500km.
    Thought I was great doing 120odd in the foul weather until I read about this feat. Just fantastic.
    Sorry if already posted

I think De Ronde lads were over 500km in 2016 at the finish in Galway.

Well done Orwell!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think De Ronde lads were over 500km in 2016 at the finish in Galway.

Well done Orwell!

That wouldn't surprise me. They did cork to Belfast overnight for the Giro start a few years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Did the Three Rivers 300 on Saturday. Took the Aircoach from Dublin Airport at midnight, into Cork at 03:20. Braved the drunken revellers to get an early (Burger King) breakfast before spinning out to the start at Midleton.

Started at 06:45 (first ferry from cobh to mainland not until 07:00) and stayed with the bunch for the first 25km. Lost them on a hill and went solo thereafter.

T'was a lovely day with climbs up the Borlin Valley and to the Top of Coom. South/easterly wind was strong all day and things got rough in the last 4 hours with driving rain, a seriously strong headwind (pedalling hard downhill!) and a mean little fscker of a wall at 260km.

Made it back to Midleton at 02:24 for a full value ride. A much appreciated lift back to Cork from the organiser meant I made the 03:00 aircoach home. Into bed by 07:30 and slept until Monday.

Another one done, month 9 of RRTY and the first two rides of an SR complete (only a 400 and 600 to go...).

Grand day out yesterday, that was the perfect cycling day. I did the new Audax permanent, the Excelsior 200km. Hands down, the toughest 200km Audax in Ireland with 4500m of climbing.

Myself and the organiser started at Shanganagh Park at 08:45. The climbing starts from the off with a nice drag up Ballycorus road and then to Kilternan. The route loops around itself several times, in and out of various valleys. The route swings down Stepaside Lane (I was grateful not to be climbing it), over Barnaslingan, out of Enniskerry and back up the Devil's Elbow to see Kilternan again.

The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky, feck all wind, great day for a long one. A brief respite along Kilternan Valley and down Cruagh road across by the DSPCA and down Stocking Lane. My house is only 3km from here but we've only done 35km!

Back up Gunny Hill to Viewing Point and swooping down into Glenasmole. The descent was great but if anyone finds a protein bar in its wrapper, they're welcome to it. A small lane with briars and potholes and we were travelling along the valley floor. The steep climb of Cunard was our next obstacle. We had skylark song as an accompaniment to the sound of our breathing.

Across the Featherbeds where a kindly motorist told me I'd dropped my gilet that I duly went back for. Descending the suspension tester that is the road to Powerscourt waterfall I remember thinking that my triceps are going to be sore tomorrow and they are. Turning right we huffed and puffed our way up the top part of The Wall and on up Long Hill. Zooming down to the main road to Roundwood was a rare chance to use the big ring. The respite was short lived as we turned off to go down a muddy dirt track down the ravine to nearly the bottom of Red Lane. The ramps of Red Lane will test most people and reaching the top and the descent of Calary Hill were most welcome.

Back towards Powerscourt and the descent of The Wall, age has not improved the surface. We met two cars near the bottom who were intent on pushing past us. Past Knocknaree Hostel and the last few km to Glencree felt like a break after some of the roughest roads in Wicklow.

We decided to take a break in the cafe. It was 15:00 and only 95km done but over 2300m climbing. Not even halfway. :-( The cafe service was slow but the food was good. Onwards and upwards to Sally Gap and the best downhill of the day. More hills waited for us as we turned right past the army range and the top of Ballinascorney. You could see the Mournes and as far west as Offaly.

Draggy back roads to Manor Kilbride and then to Blessington where we scoffed ice-cream in the sunshine. The shadows were lengthening as we headed for Lacken and the climb around Sorrell Mountain. At Ballysmuttan bridge we could smell the barbeques that families had set out on the riverbanks. Kids were splashing in the water while parents watched from deckchairs enjoying the last warmth from the sun.

Turning back up to the Gap I remembered racing this stretch in Club League, today was not going to be my day for a fast effort. The last few ramps are merciless. The easterly wind had picked up so we stopped at the crossroads to put on armwarmers and gilets. Going past Lough Dan we met a man flying a drone over the lake. Our shadows chased each other over ditches and rocks bouncing with the effort.

The sun was properly setting as we flew down the hill and once we reached the main road it was hidden by the mountains. 20:00 and 34km left. Down Altidor and right along Tooman Road. The first rule of Audax "If in doubt turn right and up a climb". I'm partially familiar with these roads and in due course, we turned right up an unfamiliar road with a climb as steep as anything we'd done earlier in the day. It went on and on, certainly 19% in places. Not what you want with tired legs. Exiting onto the top of Slaughter Hill, the lights of Newtownmountkennedy guided us downhill.

Into Newcastle and then Delgany and the back of Windgates. Last hill of the day over Bray Head and back to the start in Shankill. 21:55 was our finish time, 13 hours and 10 minutes. A proper full value ride.

Excelsior 200, 4500m.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1523784018/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1524383513

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Grand day out yesterday, that was the perfect cycling day. I did the new Audax permanent, the Excelsior 200km. Hands down, the toughest 200km Audax in Ireland with 4500m of climbing.

Myself and the organiser started at Shanganagh Park at 08:45. The climbing starts from the off with a nice drag up Ballycorus road and then to Kilternan. The route loops around itself several times, in and out of various valleys. The route swings down Stepaside Lane (I was grateful not to be climbing it), over Barnaslingan, out of Enniskerry and back up the Devil's Elbow to see Kilternan again.

Crosses itellf 6 times I think. Not a route for a debut spin with your new Sat Nav!!

Rough looking route, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

What a beautiful description of your tough day!

Especially these lovely lines:
    We had skylark song as an accompaniment to the sound of our breathing.

Our shadows chased each other over ditches and rocks bouncing with the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Great Report. Almost makes me want to do it.

'Almost' :D

• Advertisement

daragh_ wrote: »
    Great Report. Almost makes me want to do it.

'Almost' :D

Sure you can ease into it with the Mick Byrne 200 in May...

I think it out-Evils the Evil! There's slightly more climbing than in this year's edition. Sure you can always use it as a warm up.

Honestly, the first 100km would be a hard day out and you wouldn't be any further south than Glencree.

One woman

One bike

10kg luggage

2 Feast ice-creams, 4 yoghurts, one full English breakfast, 3 mystery sandwiches, 3 pints milk, one cappuccino, 5 bananas and plenty of tea

Hundreds of motorbikers

Infinite sheep

7 hours sleep

Super Randonnee of 600+km in 60 hours with 10,000m + COMPLETED!

As far as I know I'm the first person in Ireland to complete one of these.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1558552604

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Congrats NP, seriously impressive! Do you still have two working legs at the end of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Do you still have two working legs at the end of it?

I wouldn't be surprised if her body has grown a spare one. Evolution in the works.

2 Feast ice-creams, 4 yoghurts, one full English breakfast, 3 mystery sandwiches, 3 pints milk, one cappuccino, 5 bananas and plenty of tea
    Is that all? I'd have thought that a single day's worth...
    Super Randonnee of 600+km in 60 hours with 10,000m + COMPLETED!

As far as I know I'm the first person in Ireland to complete one of these.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1558552604

Congrats NP, serious riding there. Looking forward to the full write up.

Yes, I'm fine, no sore legs. A couple of bruises from when I fell in trying to clip in going up a steep hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

Congrats NP - nice to have that done. On the bucket list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

I'm blown away by those figures......serious kudos

When you say 10,00+ and actually climb 11,876, well that small difference would be around my elevation on a long spin and I'd be banjoed for the rest of the weekend

Really inspirational stuff, some woman

Whyner wrote: »
    I'm blown away by those figures......serious kudos

When you say 10,00+ and actually climb 11,876, well that small difference would be around my elevation on a long spin and I'd be banjoed for the rest of the weekend

Really inspirational stuff, some woman

Thanks! If you look at the photos I've attached to the ride, you'll see I have photos of the Garmin at various points. With 135km to go I'd already climbed 9276m! I had 1000m in the first 45km and it stayed like that for the whole ride.

On a normal day, I too would be bolloxed after that kind of climbing!

• Advertisement

I thought that was a normal day for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Incredible cycling NP,you are made of tough stuff.

Very well done.

I'll sign autographs at the STCC quiz tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcthebike

Well done. Immense achievement. Even woke me from my watching brief long enough to post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Went to Slane Saturday to ride Iron Mountains 300; things did not go to plan...

Had work organised in NCD and was in accommodation for 9pm, hoping to be asleep after food for 11pm. Except I was only guy in accommodation other than a fcuking hen party.

Eventually went to sleep around 3 and got less than 2 hrs sleep before getting up and on road.

Route to Crossmaglen from Slane is lovely, undulating (like every other direction out of Slane ime) but nice and quite. I took a 30 sec control in Crossmaglen and headed on solo and ahead of everyone else. The reality dawned on me I'd have to stay in Meath a 2nd night if I was to complete the ride. This decision making process was going on while I was riding the busy section of route (from Crossmaglen to Cootehill on regional roads). My habit of only riding sh1te roads has made me incredibly intolerant of busy roads and I decided to leave route at about 80km or so.

While I was pulled in trying to figure out a nice route south the I heard the leading bunch of 7 or 8 come from behind and I stuck to decision to leave route. 2-3 years ago there would have been no decision but the wheel turns

The section of route from Cootehill to Shannon and the loop back looked lovely but wasn't to be this time.

Within about 100m of getting on back roads I was smiling again; Monaghan and its rolling hills and lakes is pretty, and once off busy road I started interacting with people in a way you only can by bike or on foot when travelling solo
    *met a young lad herding cows and had a brief chat; from my accent he was convinced I was from Mayo. My protest were pointless he was convinced
    *another farmer tending sheep wanted to have a long chat about the weather while I struggled up some drumlin
    * the pick of the bunch; as I entered the village Shercock(which I only knew from a death in Garda custody many moons ago) a wild wiry looking man with a Bin Laden like beard gave me a big salute from his Ford 3000 tractor. When in shop he came in and announced to everyone "it was a grand day entirely for a spin on a bicycle" in his local accent while proceeding to entertain the rest of customers and staff alike.

On route south I heard a waterfall as I passed the entrance to Billy Fox Memorial Park; lovely looking place. I had to look him up; he was a sitting FG senator murdered by Offical IRA (according to Tim Pat Coogan) in 1974.

After leaving Kingscourt I got to ride this road and on to Slane

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/Kingscourt,+Lisasturrin,+Co.+Cavan/53.8184941,-6.649334/@53.8670582,-6.7640038,13z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!1m1!1s0x4860acd6fb236a9d:0xa00c7a9973176a0!2m2!1d-6.8052229!2d53.9068739!1m0!3e1

I climbed off bike still in love with cycling in spite of DNF; a win of sorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Well done NP and Ford, 💪

Is there a 24hrTT thread or can we chat about it here?

Well it's not strictly Audax but sure go ahead!

Are you doing it?

I am indeed. With the year you're having I expect you'll be there too?

It's organised through A.I., surly that gives it the bold and audacious Audax stamp of approval?

AI has certainly sanctioned it. It is different in that you can have roadside support rather than the usual unsupported rides. Also it's just riding repeated laps rather than a one way route.

• Advertisement

True, kinda like a flat everesting without the descents. ��

Advertisement