Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will any Sportives go ahead in 2021?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Prof Nolan had already indicated that current restrictions will not lift on 5th March, a full month in advance. Looks like the case reduction has stalled at 1,000 per day, and 2/3 of cases are the UK variant. So not looking good, we can't have another start up and lockdown. I think the plan is to hold firm to allow the vaccine roll out to finally push the numbers down and keep them down. Don't think spotives are high on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Clubs should plan for Level 4 restrictions from March. So groups of 15 or less within your county.
    I've changed my opinion overnight really - I see them easing to more standard level 5, rather than going level 4. i.e. Schools and Construction.
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've suggested to our club that we organise a club sportive for club members. It can be run /planned at short notice etc.
    My club did a "Wicklow 100/200" over the summer, in covid compliant groups. It worked well actually. No food stops/ mechanical support, so I guess more like a club audax. The different paced spins just went off with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Sportives? Races?

I'd like my child to get to school & for myself to travel more than 5km down the road in March!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Macy0161 wrote: »

My club did a "Wicklow 100/200" over the summer, in covid compliant groups. It worked well actually. No food stops/ mechanical support, so I guess more like a club audax. The different paced spins just went off with each other.

Yep, that's what i had in mind. I'm still optimistic that we'll be in level 4 in June/July, which means our Club can organise a spin up to 200k while still remaining inside County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I dunno....how would an organiser be able to enforce distancing on cyclists? Race marshals can barely do it during triathlons :pac:

And mates will cycle beside mates all day long so it's a tricky one for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Again ! Was cancelled yesterday too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Ah crap, I'm sorry, I didn't read the earlier posts - my mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The blind optimism, is refreshing.

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

I am a firm believer in having something to look forward to. I hope that there will be at least a few sportives run at some stage this year. Though a lot of stars will have to align for society and the economy to have opened sufficiently before the time is right to run a sportive safely and responsibly. We are tentatively planning on running the Reservoir Dog in September. Though we will just have to see where we are in relation to the Pandemic over the summer. But if we can run it safely, we would love to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Please, please let this happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

No gatherings of over 50 until Autumn.

https://www.businesspost.ie/

Cant see how any summer sportives can go ahead in that case. Will have to see what CI say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

Biker79 wrote: »

Cant see how any summer sportives can go ahead in that case. Will have to see what CI say.

Indoors it says.....

Not promising but not a total death knell for the season.

With respect to CI & all involved they will do as they are told/allowed. At best it will be the same as last season for me which is fine, I got plenty racing in with all events feeling safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ratracer

Wicklow 200 now officially gone for 2021..... :(

https://twitter.com/wicklow200/status/1361267014543769602?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

It's a year for the revival of the club sportive I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Might be a better option to jump the queue for the vaccine and sort out some PCR tests for a trip to GC. UCI series sportive through the Valley of the Tears to go ahead next month.

https://desafiolatitanica.es/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Fred Whitton in Yorkshire postponed to Sept with the option to defer to 2022, have deferred.

Tour de Connemara and Ring of Clare now cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

The Reservoir Dog Sportive is now confirmed on the CI Calendar for Sunday 5th September. Keep those vaccines coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Ring of Beara cycle also cancelled this year now .. rescheduled to 28th May 2022

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The CI calendar has quite a few sportive entries, as of yesterday.

It says ' Events that are pending date approval will not appear on the calendar. '

So they are approved for the calendar, but yet its still unclear if they will actually take place.. :confused:

Nothing in the news section since Feb 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

The CI calendar has quite a few sportive entries, as of yesterday.

It says ' Events that are pending date approval will not appear on the calendar. '

So they are approved for the calendar, but yet its still unclear if they will actually take place.. :confused:

Nothing in the news section since Feb 2nd.

if they are on the calendar them they have their date approved by CI ( you then still need to upload safety statements etc)

looks like clubs haven't emailed CI to tell them to take events off the calendar, i cancelled ours on the 17th april, emailed CI and its not on the calendar.

lets be honest there shouldn't be a single event on there if its not virtual until april 5th at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

All the big ones being pulled. It's a year for the smaller club sportive. Many of the ones I've done have been as enjoyable as but much cheaper than the big ones.

All the big ones being pulled. It's a year for the smaller club sportive. Many of the ones I've done have been as enjoyable as but much cheaper than the big ones.

You can’t beat a sportive race for me, smaller school fundraiser type events. They can be absolute bananas at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭McBluffin

Spotted this today for Oct 2021. You would want some mental strength to do solo.
    http://mondello24.com/?fbclid=IwAR3_Qkj8mUFTTzlua6J4E_5nJJa4YrTceSbzlPRuHNhqYPvTcBzLwLVP9gg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

McBluffin wrote: »
    Spotted this today for Oct 2021. You would want some mental strength to do solo.
    http://mondello24.com/?fbclid=IwAR3_Qkj8mUFTTzlua6J4E_5nJJa4YrTceSbzlPRuHNhqYPvTcBzLwLVP9gg

A comfy saddle and good fuelling moreso imho, no big climbs, lots of good places trackside to set up Basecamp and being on a closed loop road makes it an "easy" 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭nilhg

saccades wrote: »
    A comfy saddle and good fuelling moreso imho, no big climbs, lots of good places trackside to set up Basecamp and being on a closed loop road makes it an "easy" 24.

I'm not sure that easy and 24 hr race belong in the same sentence.......

The circuit is 3.44km and can be a pig in the wind, lads at the pointy end will be doing close on 200 laps, that'll be hard on the head, yes it'll be handy to have easy access to the facilities but that can be a double edged sword, when I did the Athy version you knew that once you headed away from the cars you had 44.5km before you got back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭saccades

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm not sure that easy and 24 hr race belong in the same sentence.......

The circuit is 3.44km and can be a pig in the wind, lads at the pointy end will be doing close on 200 laps, that'll be hard on the head, yes it'll be handy to have easy access to the facilities but that can be a double edged sword, when I did the Athy version you knew that once you headed away from the cars you had 44.5km before you got back.

I did mean relatively, if your looking at doing a 24 it's an easy one to do.

Very short laps means no need to carry as much.
    You also get a cheer/info from the pit bitch each lap (5 mins?) Which gives you a massive mental boost. It's another 5 mins until you get that hot cup of tea you asked for etc.
    Also means other riders you can draft with for periods which means you'll set good times/distances as you work together.
    A race track has a much more composed surface so less need to concentrate on the road surface, which is important at night.

I'm surprised they didn't do 12 hours splits for those thinking about doing longer time cycles (maybe they get enough and the track is too crowded?) But don't fancy a drop straight into 24 races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Fred Whitton in Yorkshire postponed to Sept with the option to defer to 2022, have deferred.
    that looks a bloody tough one. you'd need serious mileage in the legs in terms of training and hill climbing.

Advertisement