Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden bully - advice needed

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Pipmae

In the center of the bird table now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I have the same issues but with a female blackcap. Probably since before Christmas Dosent seem to matter whether there are multiple feeders, she seems able to chase everything off. Have tried apples on the branches and moving the feeders but to no avail. Ground birds are fine. Hopefully she will soon find a mate and sit on her nest for a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Albertie

It’s good to know about some facts about blackcaps from different aspects and experiences, what I noticed while in school time and have plenty of time to have and full fill some of wishes whether it’s seeing new places or to be close with nature, pets and bird watching that took me little further as to have some feeders in my garden but not very big as it’s was made in my small balcony which took some time to attract the birds and what helped in this process was a tree which grew and that made some birds visit that tree and then to the garden in my balcony, I also noticed that time in winter blackcaps really liked berries, apple, peanut splits and sunflower hearts and they get so busy in this and they didn’t disturb other birds as well or maybe I didn’t noticed well, but usually I remain near my balcony where the little garden and have some food hanged in some small buckets which used to give some sound as chimes have some metal in one of the small bucket, I really enjoyed that as having some time watching the birds when studying and living in with parent in my hometown and hadn’t any issue so far I remember. It’s kind of taking me back as I am getting time and may start giving some time to my garden very soon and will share my thoughts and experience as what next I am noticing again after a few years gap.

So my male blackcap is trying to take over the bird table. I'm now on day three of 'training' him. Every time he gets onto the table he had been chasing any other bird trying to access it away. So I've taken to banging sharply on my window and wagging my finger at him any time he does it (he sits in the same spot in my hedge when he flies away).

He is somewhat starting to get the message as he's learning to share sometimes. :pac: Watch this space.....

My bird table is right outside my kitchen window so it's easy enough to monitor when I'm in the room.

My kids think I'm nuts - they're blaming lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

so you're doing anger management for blackcaps ? could be a niche market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

Pipmae that's brilliant!

Ah I think people who don't love birds don't understand us anyway.

I was panicking that I wouldn't be able to get sunflower seeds during lockdown, I think my husband thought I was losing it. National pandemic + I'm worrying about birds!

Got them online in end two big 5kg bags so sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

appledrop wrote: »
    Pipmae that's brilliant!

Ah I think people who don't love birds don't understand us anyway.

I was panicking that I wouldn't be able to get sunflower seeds during lockdown, I think my husband thought I was losing it. National pandemic + I'm worrying about birds!

Got them online in end two big 5kg bags so sorted.

:eek::eek::eek:

where? I've been searching for click and collect, but nothing near me. How much did you pay? Oh wait, just realised you said sunflower SEEDS. I use sunflower hearts, because they have no husks to be discarded onto the ground (as far as I understand).

Eagerly awaiting reply, credit card in hand :pac::pac::pac:

Went in to Woodies one day and spent €36 on the birdies. The checkout operator and I had a good old laugh, especially when I told her I normally buy Tesco own brand porridge for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

where? I've been searching for click and collect, but nothing near me. How much did you pay? Oh wait, just realised you said sunflower SEEDS. I use sunflower hearts, because they have no husks to be discarded onto the ground (as far as I understand).

Went in to Woodies one day and spent €36 on the birdies. The checkout operator and I had a good old laugh, especially when I told her I normally buy Tesco own brand porridge for myself.

I meant sunflower heart. Got them from C.J wildlife a few weeks ago on their online shops. Amazing value €15 for 5kg. I usual buy them in Woodies or B & Q and pay much more.

https://www.equipetstores.com/sunflower-hearts-2kg.html

LOL at the own brand porridge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I got a 12kg bag of sunflower hearts last week from petstop.ie, €26 delivered. Had them within a few days. Can't fault the service.

• Advertisement

scarepanda wrote: »
    I got a 12kg bag of sunflower hearts last week from petstop.ie, €26 delivered. Had them within a few days. Can't fault the service.

Cheers scarepanda,

You must have got the last one:D:D

Have been checking in there every day this week, and while I can find 5kgs, they only have them in Limerick and Newbridge.

"well, eh, you see guard...eh.....". :D:D

Pipmae wrote: »

Thanks Pipmae, pick up only, and in Tallaght. Bit more then 5km from Artane.:(.

appledrop wrote: »
    I meant sunflower heart. Got them from C.J wildlife a few weeks ago on their online shops. Amazing value €15 for 5kg. I usual buy them in Woodies or B & Q and pay much more.

Thanks appledrop, will check that out.

edit: all quantities out of stock. I probably need to be more on the ball with all these sites. I wonder is it Brexit or seasonality...

Keep an eye on them. I didn't buy the night i saw it in stock for online delivery, it was gone the following morning but back in stock a couple of days later, so I'd say they are getting stock fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

My sunflower hearts are gone and they were the birds' favorites by far. I got a bag of mixed seeds and nuts by Peckish in Woodie's and all the birds absolutely love them. The only problem is that the starlings toss the whole lot out on the ground in 5 minutes. And even though some birds well eat them there my very jealous Golden Retriever eats what she can too I don't want her to get sick from eating bird food and maybe droppings.

I have a male and female blackcap and they get on with all the others. They like the apples as do the starlings. I have these up on a mesh tray on the feeder. I'd like to put some on the ground for the blackbirds but the dog would eat them too.

Cheers scarepanda,

You must have got the last one:D:D

Petstop have the 12.5kg bags of sunflower hearts back in stock for home delivery

Petstop have the 12.5kg bags of sunflower hearts back in stock for home delivery

Ordered and on its way!! yayy. Thanks scarepanda :D:D (free delivery too!)

Have spent some time today disinfecting feeders. Am considering moving away from Nyjer to all SF Hearts, due the the state of the garden with discarded nyger (or could it just be husks??). Will continue to put out peanuts and suet pellets, as the blue tits love them.

Ah nice one!

This is my first year properly feeding the birds, but I'm going to stick mainly to sunflower hearts from now on. They definitely prefer them here to nyger seed. My dad though swears by nyger seed, but his aim is to attract primarily gold finches. I have one nyger feeder moved down the lawn and will be moving the other one soon because of the mess.

Ordered as well thanks so much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I find that the bird food gets stuck together and kind of grotty looking after a few days if it is raining. So I tend to put out small amounts of food and to clean the feeders fairly often. Does anyone else have this problem?

• Advertisement

happyday wrote: »
    I find that the bird food gets stuck together and kind of grotty looking after a few days if it is raining. So I tend to put out small amounts of food and to clean the feeders fairly often. Does anyone else have this problem?

That's why I ditched my feeders that hang. I found the seed one in particular couldn't be fully emptied to clean it without breaking it so I just got rid of it when I saw the seed mix at the bottom of it get too gooey looking.

The ground below them gets covered in bird poo so much as they feed at the feeders. I moved them to a covered bird table and I find it much better. The feed goes into a central feeder and stays dry. They tend to land on the table, take something, and fly off so much less bird poo to clean. Some do stay to feed but I find they rarely soil it. I suppose you could argue you get to see them less as they stay on the hanging feeders longer but it works for me.

I hose down the decking below and the decking rails they sit on weekly. Sometimes more often if it looks like it needs to be cleaned sooner. I use a mind disinfectant and I ensure I wash away every trace of it.

I clean out the bird table fully every 10 days to 2 weeks using a mild disinfectant and plenty of hot water. I spot clean it in the meantime if it needs it. The base of the table has a removable trap door in it so the water drains off it quite quickly. I finish it off with a good hose to make sure if gotten rid of any disinfectant residue.

I was finding that as well, and I've started to unscrew the feeder and take it fully apart. Not sure how long they will last doing this but it's a better job as the feeder is fully clean.

I've started to move the nyger feeders down the lawn and will move 2 of 3 sunflower heart feeders from the side patio to the back one soon as I want to plant up the side area. It'll also make underneath the feeders easier to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I have the same issues but with a female blackcap. Probably since before Christmas Dosent seem to matter whether there are multiple feeders, she seems able to chase everything off. Have tried apples on the branches and moving the feeders but to no avail. Ground birds are fine. Hopefully she will soon find a mate and sit on her nest for a while..

I said this half in jest but something similiar has happened. We have a male and a female blackcap now and they seem to have stopped hassling the other birds. The blackcaps still feed from the feeders but in harmony with all the other birds. They disappear for hours at a time when not feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    They disappear for hours at a time when not feeding.

hmmmmm wonder what they're up to;)

Advertisement