Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

Max Q wrote: »
    I'm hoping if the purchase was made before 23:59 on the 31st (while the UK was still in the EU transition period) that you'd be ok for VAT but if the goods are imported into Ireland after the 1st Jan, which they will be in this case, will duties be payable if above the thresholds?

Absolutely no clue

Also, whatever I was thinking, I was sure that I wouldn't have to pay charges unless value of the goods were over €150.
    Bought bearings off Hambini yesterday. Sure these are gonna end up costing a further whack of money at the front door, if and when they arrive. :(

There was also a top my wife bought me for Christmas from Victory Chimp. Size was wrong so sent it back. New size has been shipped but I suppose we're screwed for VAT when the new top arrives??? Or are we exempt from VAT charges if item is coming from the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,366 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

G1032 wrote: »
    Absolutely no clue

Also, whatever I was thinking, I was sure that I wouldn't have to pay charges unless value of the goods were over €150.
    Bought bearings off Hambini yesterday. Sure these are gonna end up costing a further whack of money at the front door, if and when they arrive. :(

There was also a top my wife bought me for Christmas from Victory Chimp. Size was wrong so sent it back. New size has been shipped but I suppose we're screwed for VAT when the new top arrives??? Or are we exempt from VAT charges if item is coming from the North?

Exempt from the north afaik. Customs border is now the Irish Sea

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

RE: OP question ? are Bike24 still not shipping to Ireland ?? ,

seems other German sites are ..Rose, Bike discount , bike-components

can't see an email address listed in the Bike24 contacts

??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

bike24......not tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Exempt from the north afaik. Customs border is now the Irish Sea

Well that's something at least. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm not sure myself, I was talking to one of the guys that works there and he said wait ten working days and then fill in the lost parcel form. I'll update tomorrow when I've been in touch with them again. A nuisance :rolleyes:

Ta. I couldn't find contact details for them at all!

Bike24 still not showing Ireland as a shipping option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Seems like half of the boardsies have been onto crc today. Likewise ordered 29th dispatched the 2nd. Follow link "your parcel has no scans"
    Onto live chat and informed of delays with covid/brexit issues on fast way side of things and that they will be updated soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

devonp wrote: »
    RE: OP question ? are Bike24 still not shipping to Ireland ?? ,

seems other German sites are ..Rose, Bike discount , bike-components

can't see an email address listed in the Bike24 contacts

??

info@bike24.net

The email is in their Terms and Conditions. Sort of strange that it's buried in there. You would think an email contact is better than loads of phone calls.

I emailed them today wondering when they would recommence shipping. I added Ireland is still in the EU and independent from GB for 100 years. No reply yet.

I see DPD are suspending deliveries to EU until at least Wednesday citing brexit and high levels of parcels with incorrect paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

Just got the following from CRC. (Order placed Dec 31st, dispatched Jan 2nd)

Hi,

Thank you for your recent order.

I am sorry to inform you that unfortunately there has been a delay in delivering your order. This is because of large volumes and backlogs in Irish customs due to the recent Brexit changes.

Fastway are working hard to clear the backlog and deliver your parcel and we would hope this would be delivered next week.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Customer Service[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭LUKEG2411

So I ordered a number of items off bike components.de when they started listing Ireland again on the 28th of Dec. It was shipped on the 29th with DHL where it sat in Germany until Tuesday where it was returned to sender for some reason.

I contacted them and they said there was issues with brexit. It was shipped again Wednesday but today says it’s been returned to sender again. Starting to get frustrating

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah......got two emails from both Wig and CR.

As above.........we didn't prepare for, .....what's this Brexit thing??? :D:D

Courier companies......think they'd be up to speed huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Planet X wrote: »
    Yeah......got two emails from both Wig and CR.

As above.........we didn't prepare for, .....what's this Brexit thing??? :D:D

Courier companies......think they'd be up to speed huh?

same email here

• Registered Users Posts: 29 837897

Bikeinn don’t seem to be sending orders either, just got email saying I was being refunded. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭prunudo

Just on this, ordered parts from bike components last weekend, email to say DHL (Köln) have it, currently tracking is saying it has been sent to an Post but no further movement since Wednesday.

Had also ordered something from Wiggle on 26th and received it on 30th. But received the email yesterday to say my order was stuck in transit due to fastway having issues. So this leads me to think they don't have a clue where anything is.
    Hopefully parcels stuck in transit make their way to everyone still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Why would you order anything online for the next while? It's chaos with all the shipping companies while they try to figure this out, and you'll be driven demented with orders stuck in a hub somewhere or trying to contact an overwhelmed customer care line.

Give it a few months to settle down and give your LBS a call.

I agree, and I'd love to support local but reality is they don't carry huge stock and don't have the parts you need so ultimately will be relying on the same couriers and supply chains that buying from online retailers will involve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Agree with you on this but also the cost savings has to taken into account.

I did order some parts from wiggle last week but before ordering I checked a few online Irish stores and the difference was nearly 20% in wiggles favour. For that I can wait a few extra days.

prunudo wrote: »
    I agree, and I'd love to support local but reality is they don't carry huge stock and don't have the parts you need so ultimately will be relying on the same couriers and supply chains that buying from online retailers will involve.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

My last ever order from Wiggle, made on the 22nd December hasn’t arrived. An email from them yesterday said it was “stuck in Irish Customs backlog” which is bullsh1t as Fastway said they haven’t received my package yet from Wiggle. So now I’ll probably be hit with taxes and duty on an order I made prior to Brexit.

I found and have now used several times, two EU based companies for the purchase of cycling stuff that I’d highly recommend if anyone else is getting stung by the UK bike shops post Brexit. Mantel.com in the Netherlands and Deporvillage in Spain. Always have what I want in stock, competitive prices and fast shipping. Customer service is excellent too. Deporvillage were the only place I could find that had the bike rollers I wanted in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

prunudo wrote: »
    Just on this, ordered parts from bike components last weekend, email to say DHL (Köln) have it, currently tracking is saying it has been sent to an Post but no further movement since Wednesday.

Same here, order originally made on the 22nd, returned once, now as above. Nothing I'm in any mad hurry for so will see how it pans out. Also got some work stuff (not bike related) coming in from amazon.de and amazon.co.uk so will be interested to see how that fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

D13exile wrote: »
    My last ever order from Wiggle, made on the 22nd December hasn’t arrived. An email from them yesterday said it was “stuck in Irish Customs backlog” which is bullsh1t as Fastway said they haven’t received my package yet from Wiggle. So now I’ll probably be hit with taxes and duty on an order I made prior to Brexit.

I found and have now used several times, two EU based companies for the purchase of cycling stuff that I’d highly recommend if anyone else is getting stung by the UK bike shops post Brexit. Mantel.com in the Netherlands and Deporvillage in Spain. Always have what I want in stock, competitive prices and fast shipping. Customer service is excellent too. Deporvillage were the only place I could find that had the bike rollers I wanted in stock.

I haven't bought anything from UK sites for the past 2 / 3 years - CRC were quite good and reasonably competitive, prior to change of ownership. Have found Rose, bike-discount, bike 24 to be very good. Rose prices are usually very good and customer service is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Mantel and Depor both well known here, and yes great buying options from both.

Pain the ass the way it's playing out - it's not like these companies didn't have lots and lots of notice that Brexit was happening. of course Boris was telling British industry not to worry a 'great deal was coming' :rolleyes:

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Mantel and Depor both well known here, and yes great buying options from both.

Pain the ass the way it's playing out - it's not like these companies didn't have lots and lots of notice that Brexit was happening. of course Boris was telling British industry not to worry a 'great deal was coming' :rolleyes:

They don’t just sell in to Europe though, CRC and Wiggle both sell globally, so they should fully understand the intricacies of selling across borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Covid is playing a with logistics than Brexit.

smacl wrote: »
    Same here, order originally made on the 22nd, returned once, now as above. Nothing I'm in any mad hurry for so will see how it pans out. Also got some work stuff (not bike related) coming in from amazon.de and amazon.co.uk so will be interested to see how that fares.

Update from earlier, its arrived in Ireland and now showing on the an Post tarcker so seems Germany to Ireland packages are making their way through again.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Just selected a few random items on the Bike 24 website today and none are available to ship to Ireland.

Actually, according to Deutsch Post shipping from germany to Republic of ireland should be back up and running from 14th january...Fingers crossed anyway.

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html#irland

Ireland:
    During the pre-Christmas period, we were forced to restrict service to Ireland for business and contract customer parcels (DHL Paket International and DHL Paket Connect). We are pleased to inform you that we will be able to lift the current restrictions to service in full beginning Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021. Unrestricted service will be reinstated not only for business and contract customer parcels but also private customer parcels.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Full thread already discussing it here;

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058143373/1

Granolite wrote: »
    Just selected a few random items on the Bike 24 website today and none are available to ship to Ireland.

Actually, according to Deutsch Post shipping from germany to Republic of ireland should be back up and running from 14th january...Fingers crossed anyway.

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html#irland

Ireland:
    During the pre-Christmas period, we were forced to restrict service to Ireland for business and contract customer parcels (DHL Paket International and DHL Paket Connect). We are pleased to inform you that we will be able to lift the current restrictions to service in full beginning Thursday, Jan. 14, 2021. Unrestricted service will be reinstated not only for business and contract customer parcels but also private customer parcels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It's not only foreign suppliers that's affected by brexit however. I've ordered drivetrain bits and pieces from Cycle Superstore here in Dublin but they're still waiting for delivery of some items, in my case Jagwire gear cable.They're due in soon so I'll have mine hopefully this time next week.

I think it's gonna take awhile for everything to bed in before some pattern of normality resumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Full thread already discussing it here;

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058143373/1

You’ve just included a link to this thread!

Advertisement