Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭LUKEG2411

I’ve had the same issues with all the German websites. They said they’ll reassess the delivery situation and possibly add Ireland to the list in the new year.

All tricks in France is still delivering and I’ve also had packages from Ekoi in France arrive in two days just before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Is chain reaction still taking orders. I have my eye on new wheels and tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Heard (anecdotally from a German seller on a non-bike-related site) that the German to UK/Ireland postal services will resume after Jan 2, so expect that cycling shops over there will restart shipping here soon after

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Bikeinn (spain) and mantell (Netherlands) are my go to euro bike shops now. Doubt I'll order from Wiggle/CRC, PlanetX or even Galibier now with the risk of suprise duties being levied

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bikeinn (spain) and mantell (Netherlands) are my go to euro bike shops now. Doubt I'll order from Wiggle/CRC, PlanetX or even Galibier now with the risk of suprise duties being levied

Can't imagine there being a problem with Galibier, they have an office in Omeath, Co. Louth. I think the owner actually lives in Omeath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭nilhg

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Can't imagine there being a problem with Galibier, they have an office in Omeath, Co. Louth. I think the owner actually lives in Omeath.

And the (new economic) border is in the Irish Sea....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

northern ireland is treated as EU so if you buy from chain reaction its like buying from germany

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/index.aspx

Unlike Great Britain (UK not including Northern Ireland (NI)), NI will be treated as an EU Member State in terms of the movement of goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

EDit wrote: »
    Heard (anecdotally from a German seller on a non-bike-related site) that the German to UK/Ireland postal services will resume after Jan 2, so expect that cycling shops over there will restart shipping here soon after

Confirmed on German Post website (resumption of services on Jan 2)

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html#irland

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

peter kern wrote: »
    northern ireland is treated as EU so if you buy from chain reaction its like buying from germany

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/index.aspx

Unlike Great Britain (UK not including Northern Ireland (NI)), NI will be treated as an EU Member State in terms of the movement of goods.

Can anyone confirm this re ordering from Chain Reaction? I believe they were originally an NI business but are now owned by Wiggle registered in Hampshire, GB.
    Chain Reaction Cycles and CRC are trading names of Wiggle Ltd registered in the United Kingdom at 1000 Lakeside, Suite 310, Third Floor, N E Wing, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EN / Company No: 02667809 / VAT No: GB884 2571 94

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Max Q wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm this re ordering from Chain Reaction? I believe they were originally an NI business but are now owned by Wiggle registered in Hampshire, GB.

if they send from office in northern ireland ie chain reaction than all the formalities have been dealt with before it enters their warehouse and shipping is treated like from eu.

For goods travelling from Northern Ireland, as part of the Northern Ireland Protocol and Withdrawal Agreement, for the vast majority of goods travelling from Northern Ireland to Great Britain, no customs formalities will be required from January 1st 2021. This means DPD Ireland will NOT ask for any customs details from you for your goods travelling from NI to GB, ROI or EU.

if it helps i got a delivery from CR today from northern ireland i had ordered on the 24th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Email from crc just now:

UPDATE ON BREXIT AND YOUR ORDERS

As the UK Government has now approved the trade deal agreed with the EU - the terms within it will come into effect from 11pm on Thursday 31st December. This means there will be new regulations governing shipments between the United Kingdom and the EU, including the Republic of Ireland.

We would like to reassure you that we are working to minimise any disruption to customers, including:

• Ensuring no additional customs charges will be due as your order arrives in the Republic of Ireland, as all taxes and duties are already included in the price. The price you see is the price you will pay.

• Making sure any changes to normal delivery times will be transparent and shown throughout the check-out process.

• Where possible, providing a range of delivery options, although these may fluctuate whilst we work through any initial disruption.

• Keeping our current 365 day returns policy unchanged.

If you would like any further information, please view our delivery FAQs

We'd also like to take this opportunity to say thank you for continuing to shop with us at Chain Reaction Cycles.

Happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

CRC are taking orders and sent me an email to say that vat and duty will be included in prices from 11pm tonight.

<edit> Sorry, never read the post above </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Flaccus wrote: »
    CRC are taking orders and sent me an email to say that vat and duty will be included in prices from 11pm tonight.

<edit> Sorry, never read the post above </edit>

Be interesting to see the pre and post duty prices on things...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

I ordered a few things at 3pm from CRC (wiggle, same thing), got free shipping etc.

Might be my last order for a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I ordered a few things at 3pm from CRC (wiggle, same thing), got free shipping etc.

Might be my last order for a while.

Crc are n. Ireland so.shoukd be okay. They sent an email update earlier

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.....successfully ordered from CR.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Wanted one for a long time. That or a Surly Lowside or Karate Monkey SS.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Max Q

I think it comes down to where CRC ship the items from? My concern is that due to the Wiggle takeover the headoffice is registered in mainland GB and from an article I found it appears CRC's warehousing has been combined with Wiggle in Wolverhampton.
    Those “synergies” include, as previously announced, CRC’s warehousing facilities in Belfast being relocated to Wolverhampton to bring all of the group’s logistics and distribution functions together at one site.
    https://road.cc/content/news/230058-local-bike-shops-look-away-now-reports-worsening-losses-wiggle-are-exaggerated

The email quoted by a previous poster said CRC were 'working hard to ensure' - that doesn't sound definitive. I put in an order with CRC yesterday so it'll be interesting to see where it ships from as I've never bothered looking at the postmarks previously on CRC packaging to see where it originated from.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Bike-components.de have accepted my order and Ireland was reinstated to the drop-down destination menu:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

crc accepted an order from me a couple of days ago for a wheel and disc brake. hasn't arrived yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

crc accepted an order from me a couple of days ago for a wheel and disc brake. hasn't arrived yet !

Same here, saying it's shipped and have fastway number but no updates on fastway tracker. Fast way are utterly ****e though so could be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Same here, saying it's shipped and have fastway number but no updates on fastway tracker. Fast way are utterly ****e though so could be that.

I’d keep an eye in hedges and gardens over the next few days as they’re notorious for throwing them anywhere if there’s no one at home and even when people are at home as it’s too much bother for them to walk to the door.

Snap, mine is still processing ordered on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Weepsie wrote: »
    Crc are n. Ireland so.shoukd be okay. They sent an email update earlier

Not everything is shipped from NI though they have warehouses in the uk stuff gets sent from to

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

neris wrote: »
    Not everything is shipped from NI though they have warehouses in the uk stuff gets sent from to

I don't think anything is shipped through NI anymore. They shut the warehouses up north last year and just retained the shop on Boucher Rd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You'd imagine they would have thought through a work-around for Irish deliveries. A van load of stuff from Wolverhampton driven over to Belfast once or twice a week and then packaged and posted from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

I likewise await to see how this will play out with a CRC order placed on Dec 28th and tracking no provided. Will it be subject to duties etc now I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

macapaca wrote: »
    I likewise await to see how this will play out with a CRC order placed on Dec 28th and tracking no provided. Will it be subject to duties etc now I wonder?

What duties are people expecting to pay on importing bike parts. If there was no deal I’d understand that, but it’s unclear to me if any additional charges will be levied now with the deal that was done. Anyone clearer on this?

macapaca wrote: »

I ordered on 29th and received courier tracking notification yesterday. If we ordered before the brexit deadline 31st December we should be exempt from any of the tariffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

letape wrote: »
    What duties are people expecting to pay on importing bike parts. If there was no deal I’d understand that, but it’s unclear to me if any additional charges will be levied now with the deal that was done. Anyone clearer on this?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

You won't have to worry about any of the costs mentioned if purchasing from EU websites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

smacl wrote: »
    Ordered some stuff from bike-discount.de over the weekend and got a DPD shipping notice yesterday. When it actually arrives is something else again but will post again when it has. Small enough items so could be taking a different route.

Just got a note from Bike-Discount that my stuff is being re-shipped via DHL, hopefully here in the next few days.

Advertisement