Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Offseason 2020 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yea, when I first saw that I was like damn, they are making a big push for next year and they totally had to.
    I really like Bogdanovic also, he should be a good fit.
    Holiday is also an upgrade and should definitely help out Giannis

To play devils advocate, I’ve listened to a few podcasts and I’ve read a few articles, my first thought like others was, wow, they gave up a lot of trade assets and picks for these players.
    They will now have to fill the roster with not a whole lot of cap space.
    One of the articles really broke down the deals and to be honest, my head was spinning with all the various caveats to the deals but the Bucks really have made a big push to win down and keep Giannis
    Also, Holiday is good and definitely an upgrade but his numbers have also been dropping as he enters the later stage of his career
    What if Giannis decides to go now anyway, then they are really really screwed ??

A lot of ifs and buts..... I do like the attitude to win now but also at the end of the day, Giannis needs to step up in the playoffs

Unless they're as dumb as the Knicks (which they're not, no-one is) they have to be sure he (Giannis) is staying to offer that much and that many picks. They've had to have been told he intends to sign the supermax to do that.

The supermax is the no-brainer. He guarantees himself 80million extra by signing it, and even if he wants to leave in 2 years he can do an AD or a Harden and just say "trade me".

I know some of you will disagree and are all for player empowerment, but I think it's gone too far personally. Too tired (I'm off to bed) to debate it now but happy to do so later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The supermax is a terrible system that is supposed to reward teams who develop their draft picks but instead just massively hinders them by taking up a huge chunk of their cap space. The extra $$ afforded by the supermax over the regular max shouldn't contribute to cap space imo.

Btw big win for Philly here:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1329188492912578568?s=20

I know they got themselves yet another First but I really think OKC could've asked for more assets here, that Horford contract is ABYSMAL.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I think the modern NBA conversation is way too harsh on teams who try and put their best five out there and win games tbh just because they can't win a Championship.

Totally agree. The Championship or bust mentality that's entered the thinking in the league doesn't help.

Take Houston as an example - they were the only ones who really went all in consistently to try and take down the Warriors and though I hate how they played I admire them for at least trying when so many teams were basically not even trying to put up a challenge. The problem however is they didn't cross the line - which I fear might inspire others to just say "f*ck it, what's the point?" if they know they can't win. And now look where they ae because Harden - technically still under contract for the next 2 years - has clearly just gone "I want out" and they're now SCREWED for likely the next decade as they have no picks, will have a terrible roster AND they did all of this to appease Harden - the very guy who's now bailing on them. Wouldn't like to be a Houston fan today............

Btw big win for Philly here:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1329188492912578568?s=20

I know they got themselves yet another First but I really think OKC could've asked for more assets here, that Horford contract is ABYSMAL.

All things considered that's a massive win for Philly. I can't see Horford being as bad as he was in Philly, but to shed that salary and years is good. As usual, Morey trading away all the picks. I don't think that's the last time Green will be moved though.

• Advertisement

Bogdanovic to the Bucks may be off it seems, he didn't agree to it apparently. Very strange...............

Totally agree. The Championship or bust mentality that's entered the thinking in the league doesn't help.

Take Houston as an example - they were the only ones who really went all in consistently to try and take down the Warriors and though I hate how they played I admire them for at least trying when so many teams were basically not even trying to put up a challenge. The problem however is they didn't cross the line - which I fear might inspire others to just say "f*ck it, what's the point?" if they know they can't win. And now look where they ae because Harden - technically still under contract for the next 2 years - has clearly just gone "I want out" and they're now SCREWED for likely the next decade as they have no picks, will have a terrible roster AND they did all of this to appease Harden - the very guy who's now bailing on them. Wouldn't like to be a Houston fan today............

Houston fans are in for a rough ride, was reading yesterday from Kevin O'Connor that Fertitta won't make any deal with Daryl Morey, even with Morey willing to trade Simmons for Harden. absolutely braindead pettiness there, with Harden wanting out there'd be literally no better deal imaginable for Houston.

Houston fans are in for a rough ride, was reading yesterday from Kevin O'Connor that Fertitta won't make any deal with Daryl Morey, even with Morey willing to trade Simmons for Harden. absolutely braindead pettiness there, with Harden wanting out there'd be literally no better deal imaginable for Houston.

Frittata (yes I know that’s not the spelling) does seem like an incredibly dick at the best of times, but even he would be stupid to turn that down. That said, look at how petty things can get with owners and it’s entirely plausible that he’ll cut off his nose to spite his face.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Draft is tonight, anyone have strong opinions on anyone? I like Edwards as a project but he has a lot to prove and that interview snippet that came out earlier today is absolutely bizarre, even if he's trying to not get drafted by the Timberwolves.

The interview really is astounding, kid better have the talent to back up his words because if not this reads like someone who'll be out of the league in 5 years

kgjno0e2rxz51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Klay Thompson has suffered a serious lower leg injury today during a personal workout, I’ve been listening to the radio and by most reports, it’s not good at all.
    That really really sucks for Warriors and especially Klay, I love him, such a great player and awesome guy.

• Advertisement

4th pick in the draft and Bulls pick 6th man of the year.

Klay Thompson has suffered a serious lower leg injury today during a personal workout, I’ve been listening to the radio and by most reports, it’s not good at all.
    That really really sucks for Warriors and especially Klay, I love him, such a great player and awesome guy.

Ah bollix...............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Ah bollix...............

Yep, rumors are it’s his Achilles, that’s just the worst possible scenario, devastating for him if so, another year not playing, not good at all.

On a brighter note if there is one, I like the Wiseman pick, a lot of upsides to him
    With Klays injury, I’d almost want us to tank next year, get a top pick plus we will have another top pick between 3 and 10 most likely in what is expected to be a strong draft

Yep, rumors are it’s his Achilles, that’s just the worst possible scenario, devastating for him if so, another year not playing, not good at all.

On a brighter note if there is one, I like the Wiseman pick, a lot of upsides to him
    With Klays injury, I’d almost want us to tank next year, get a top pick plus we will have another top pick between 3 and 10 most likely in what is expected to be a strong draft

Oh dear. Not good.

I listen to some of the ESPN reporting on YouTube and was wondering if that was it alright from the vagueness of the descriptions. They weren’t saying break or sprain, but emphasized lower leg and I couldn’t help but go to Achilles.

Devastated for him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Confirmed as a torn Achilles. Such a shame really.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Confirmed as a torn Achilles. Such a shame really.

Full tear too. :(

Is there a worse ex-player pundit than Kendrick Perkins?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just seeing the New Jersey’s for the Celtics for the new season and I know it’s hard to be that original when you’re colours are green and white but the Celtic’s have just taken the design of the championship banners and the retired numbers(white background on green numbers or vice versa) and used that. I mean fair enough the celtics have a long rich history but I don’t like them.

If the Bucks can’t resurrect that Bogdonovic deal the price might ultimately be losing Giannis. It’s a shltshow. How the hell could they mess this up so badly?

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1329888113519259650?s=20

Very happy about this, we somehow made the WCF with Kanter as our starting C, himself an Nurkic looked to be a really great combination before the injury, rotating with each other they're two legit 7 footers that give the opposition 48 minutes of really tough intense defensive work. Obviously he's one of the worst defenders in the NBA but as I said we somehow made the WCF with him starting, so he should be fine as a bench player. Roster is actually looking nice right now:

Starting: Lillard, McCollum, Covington, ???, Nurkic
    Bench: Simons, Trent Jr, Little, Collins, Kanter

The ??? is for who I assume will be another free agent considering Portland still have a $9m MLE to spend, could also see Melo re-sign and take Little's spot on the bench unit. The MLE could also end up going to Rodney Hood who'd start at SF and push RoCo up to PF.

• Advertisement

^ Hood officially re-signs for $21m over 2 years with the second year being a team option, that puts Portland's starting 5 at:

Lillard, McCollum, Hood, Covington, Nurkic

Best we've had in years.

EDIT: Turns out because of Bird Rights (I don't understand NBA contracts at all) Hood doesn't actually take the MLE so Portland still have that $9m to spend.

EDIT 2: And that MLE has now been spent

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1329988235397836801

Really excited for this season to begin now

Montrezl to the Lakers, Dwight to 76ers. Big upgrade for the Lakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Montrezl to the Lakers, Dwight to 76ers. Big upgrade for the Lakers.

Harrell making sure he'll be despised by half of LA for that.

Peak Dwight that: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/news-that-dwight-howard-will-sign-with-76ers-breaks-shortly-after-he-deletes-tweet-announcing-return-to-lakers/

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Happy with how the Hawks have gone about things atm, but I hope it won't end up affecting John Collins' future.

Michael Jordan once again proving that basketball talent does not translate to GM talent :p

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1330217292395933698?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Wouldn't pay Kemba but will give Hayward 30m for four years. Good God. Himself and Lavar might get on like a house on fire actually.

I’m surprised Hayward went there as all the signs were he was going to Indiana.

Hayward isn’t as bad as is being made out, but he’s nowhere near the player he once was. It’s an overpay for sure but there’s not much in terms of wings in this free agency and his stats this year when healthy were actually very good. He’ll also get plenty of the ball in Charlotte, and not be the 4th option like he has become in Boston. For him it’s a smart move.

As a Boston fan I’m gutted. This is 3 former/current All Stars, 3 starters and prestige free agent gone in 2 seasons for nothing basically between Irving, Hayward and Horford (at the time).

Steven Adams to the Pelicans for draft picks.
    Fred Van Vleet re-signs with Toronto.

John Wall has asked for a trade.
    Only real option is a Westbrook trade..... which

• Advertisement

It's nowhere near 2016 levels but there's a lot of money going around for pretty average players this Free Agency.

Advertisement