Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Van Halen has died.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Was never really into Van Halen but the music was definitely iconic

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Damn Grim Reaper scored a big one. I hate cancer so ****ing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O no, Gosh that's a shock, JUMP (I know) is a song that brings back so many fond memories, RIP.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

"I just want my guitar playing to make people feel something: happy, sad, even horny"

Such a great guitarist, sad news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Was only looking at Franken Strat replicas earlier. RIP. Certainly in the pantheon of the guitar greats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

****! He wasn't even old.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Iconic band, a product of their time and a soundtrack to many kids of the 80's memories.
    What a shredder!

Riff on, and RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭pawdee

I'm so saddened to hear this. Van Halen's first album is still one of my all time favourites. Eddie was so fckn cool. RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Wow. Can't believe this. So young also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Unbelievable.

I only really know 'jump' and 'eruption', but for some reason this afternoon I decided to read up on 'eruption', out of nowhere. hadn't heard it in years, did a bit of reading about the Frankenstrat today then too, read a bit about his life.

To hear now that he's died is a bit freaky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Just finished a book on the band (Mk 1 only) recently by their ex manager Noel Monk. Great read.
    Van Halen 1, what a brilliant start to that album with the first 3 songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Shame. Was never a fan of the band, whatever form it took, but he seemed like a nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Soundtrack of my youth. A legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Ah no this year just keeps on giving amazing musician and band

One of the bands that were always on the gig bucket list but sadly never happened

One of the greats of Rock RIP Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 19,575 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The best of the best.

For fùckin fùck sake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Marty McFly!

RIP.

RIP Eddie! Awful news!

I remember when he gave his original bumblebee guitar to be buried with Dimebag. Great gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

And don't forget the solo on Beat It

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShV2Hu8veoE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Roanmore wrote: »
    And don't forget the solo on Beat It

Oh! I never knew! That was amazing...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Damn, RIP.

I remember hearing Van Halen 1 for the first time. I didn't know you could even do that to a guitar. A fine musician and engineer. Should be mentioned right up there with Hendrix IMO. Eddie has a lot to answer for.

What's also so impressive, is even though he got so messed up, he managed to really turn his life around for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think it was a few summers ago there was a rumoured reunion of the classic line up of VH but sadly never came to be. They had Wolfgang Van Halen on bass which just didn't work and not a fit replacement for Michael Anthony

The one band who never really toured Europe that much

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

RIP. A true innovator and a great player really. What a cool guy too.

Posted in After Hours already but I was lucky enough to see them at The Monsters Of Rock festival in Castle Donnington in 1984 when they were at the height of their powers.

I knew he hadn’t been well for a long time but it’s still a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

Can't believe it, didn't even know he was sick.

He was one of the best guitarists ever. That solo on Beat It - unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Devastated tonight, life long fan since a trader recommended the debut album to me in the Dandelion Market around 79. Like most who listened to Eruption we were thinking how the hell is he playing that until we actually saw it on film. Dave let the cat out of the bag saying Eddie was not doing well and that he was now the main focus of hearing the Van Halen music live.

I travelled over to see the band in 2015 and I am so glad I did. RIP Eddie and thanks for the incredible music you gave us.

A few photos from the gig.

50428295178_7ff0123b27.jpg

50429165762_55bc8ef949.jpg

50429169397_e15834ec76.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just found it, well this is sh1t, rip

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

Sad news Eddie Van Halen was a classy guitarist who had his feet on the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I remember trying to learn how to play a guitar in my younger years.
    Could barely string together chords, and yet would be looking at guitar tabs for Jump, Little Guitars & Beat It :pac:

And the riff for Aint Talkin' Bout Love.

RIP Eddie. One of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bocaman wrote: »
    Sad news Eddie Van Halen was a classy guitarist who had his feet on the ground

im not sure about his feet on the ground, he had his demons, but one hell of a guitarist, this is very sad news

Advertisement