Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i keep hearing about these 'cycalists'. would like to meet one.

MPFGLB wrote: »

6 minute mark and how he pronounces An Post unforgivable :D

The man obviously never suffered our school system or read Peg.

EDIT: Oh turns out he did, interviewer just lets him talk and talk . It's great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd question whether he ever lived in ireland based on that.

i'd question whether he ever lived in ireland based on that.

He mentioned he went to blackrock college, maybe didn't take Irish? I know we had a few exempt in our year as they didn't attend primary education here.

EDIT: Just looking at the length of the other lockdown videos this guy has done and they are 20-30 minutes. Nico talks for an hour :D

• Advertisement

you don't need to take irish in school to know how 'an post' is pronounced, surely?
    maybe we can allow that his mother was definitely not a native irish speaker.

I'm still in the middle of watching it and this is great stuff. He's talking about hardest climbs and 30% after 200km and fellas stopping to puke and Terpstra walking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Lived in Ireland for only a few years as a teenager. Likely wasn't near an Irish class.

We can rest easy knowing we are likely to butcher the pronunciation of any language we are not fluent in. Hardly a crime.

Lived in Ireland for only a few years as a teenager. Likely wasn't near an Irish class.

We can rest easy knowing we are likely to butcher the pronunciation of any language we are not fluent in. Hardly a crime.

Wasn't criticizing only poking fun at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Enfilade wrote: »
    Wasn't criticizing only poking fun at it.

Ah fair enough so. Picked it up wrong.
    It annoys me when native speakers of any language give out about non natives attempts at pronunciation in a derogatory way so went on a rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Can't say I'm surprised, but Cork's Covid response from the CEO mentions nothing about bikes or pop up lanes like we're seeing in Dublin and many cities abroad.

Even the minor streets that are being pedestrianised are only being pedestrianised for 6 hours a day. And they're refusing to give a timeline for even doing that!

Pathetic really.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/City-Hall-chief-executive-addresses-pedestrianisation-timeline-for-reimagined-Cork-city-centre-623a672e-2248-47ce-9214-490dde7cb8b6-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭buffalo

I see the IT is showing its anti-cyclist bias again: https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/una-mullally-reverse-return-of-the-car-to-phoenix-park-as-a-matter-of-urgency-1.4255645
    Una Mullally: Reverse return of the car to Phoenix Park as a matter of urgency
    The OPW must not throw away the opportunity for the park – the lungs of Dublin – to become car-free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

buffalo wrote: »

I read the article twice, and the only reference to cyclists that I can see is the fact that Dublin city council has added cycle paths to the city,band she hopes the become permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cantankerous Pat Kenny straight in with the attack with the rep from DCC, Brendan O'Brien, head of technical services, regarding all related changes in the city complaining about the favouring of pedestrians in the traffic light sequence, he actually said traffic will have to "scud across the light sequence" in order to make it. What a dick.

Jesus christ, "and then you have a cyclist speeding past [ref to a bus queue] potentially spreading a plume of covid to those people queuing" because they don't have to wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pat Kenny on anything cyclist related : PLUME-ITY, PLUME, PLUME !

The same Pat Kenny on lines of stationary cars sitting day after day pumping out KGs and KGs of Co2 and NoX right next to people on footpaths:

Hurrache wrote: »
    Jesus christ, "and then you have a cyclist speeding past [ref to a bus queue] potentially spreading a plume of covid to those people queuing" because they don't have to wear a mask.

He's got a proper hard on for wearing masks and plumes from what I've heard of him in the last 6-8 week and regularly scolds the comments who disagree with wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Hurrache wrote: »

"and they sneak up on you!" :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, when you're paranoid about cyclists sneaking up on you in order to spread their plume, it's time for a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I've only just come across this thread and, as an occasional cyclist, I feel compelled to comment.

Every post in this thread is absolutely a reinforcement of the negative stereotype that exists of cyclists. A smorgasbord of smart arsery. Ye would want to take a good hard look back at this thread and see exactly why people have little to no empathy with cyclists.

I've only just come across this thread and, as an occasional cyclist, I feel compelled to comment.

Every post in this thread is absolutely a reinforcement of the negative stereotype that exists of cyclists. A smorgasbord of smart arsery. Ye would want to take a good hard look back at this thread and see exactly why people have little to no empathy with cyclists.
    mod note - do not post in this thread again, and take a read of the charter about negative posting in the cycling forum.
    if you've an issue with that, PM me.

everyone else - please don't react to this post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭JMcL

Enfilade wrote: »
    He's got a proper hard on for wearing masks and plumes from what I've heard of him in the last 6-8 week and regularly scolds the comments who disagree with wearing a mask.

I reckon he's inherited Hook's char after he got the boot, and in true Myles na Gopaleen fashion is slowly becoming Hook through matter transfer via the chair/arse interface

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

JMcL wrote: »
    I reckon he's inherited Hook's char after he got the boot, and in true Myles na Gopaleen fashion is slowly becoming Hook through matter transfer via the chair/arse interface

Or he's following the same orders from above.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This journo apparently is with the Irish Indo so I assume there'll be a story on it soon...

https://twitter.com/johnmeaghermuso/status/1262380376909103110

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A few letters in the Irish Times recently...

Cyclists, pedestrians and headphones
    Sir, – Over the last few weeks I’ve observed one collision and several near-misses involving cyclists and pedestrians. The cause of each of these mishaps was wearing headphones with the wearer no longer fully aware of their immediate surroundings when changing direction.

Fortunately there were no serious consequences as traffic was very light, but Monday will probably bring a sizeable increase as Covid-19 restrictions on commerce are eased.

No cyclist or pedestrian would voluntarily put on a blindfold before setting off on a journey. Yet many block off that sense of hearing that protects us by sensing dangers our other senses do not detect. Use your common sense and let your ears protect you. – Yours, etc,

DAVID REDDY,
    Sandymount,
    Dublin 4.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cyclists-pedestrians-and-headphones-1.4254675
    Headphones and roads
    Sir, – David Reddy (Letters, May 16th) exhorts cyclists and pedestrians to forego headphones when travelling as a matter of public safety. A quick search through the websites of the major car brands in Ireland suggest that we should be consulting automotive engineers. One company declares that it has mastered the “art of noise” as evidenced by its car cabins insulated from the noise of the outside world. Modern cars typically come fitted with stereo systems.

I presume the Road Safety Authority will be calling for regulation of these dangerous technologies? In the absence of such critical analysis, and knowing that road fatalities caused by cyclists and pedestrians are minimal, I might continue my lockdown lunchtime habit of cycling around the Phoenix Park listening to theology lectures on my earphones; an activity so patently harmless I never imagined it would have to be defended. – Yours, etc,

KEVIN HARGADEN,
    Inchicore,
    Dublin 8.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/headphones-and-roads-1.4255552
    Headphones and cyclists
    Sir, – I fully endorse David Reddy’s comments (Letters, May 16th) regarding wearing of headphones. Quite apart from the dangers inherent in this practice, they are missing out on the delightful sounds of nature which have been even more wonderful in the quiet of the lockdown. As someone who does not wear headphones out walking, I have had several close shaves with cyclists coming at speed from behind on shared spaces as they are often quite silent. Do they not use bells anymore? I would not cycle without my bell as pedestrians, particularly in the city, frequently step off the path when crowded. My bell warns them not to, keeping us both safe. – Yours, etc,

RHONA KELLY,
    Dún Laoghaire, Co Dublin.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/headphones-and-cyclists-1.4256510

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mandatory sounds of nature for everyone!

i caw like a european honey buzzard as a warning to pedestrians. as they are so attuned with the sounds of nature, they know instinctively that this is not the noise of an animal found in ireland, and immediately react knowing something is amiss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I usually pant like a sexual deviant looking at exciting things while having a panic attack on my commute. Somehow this noise is recognised by nearly all and very few people come near me. I don't even need a bell.

Advertisement