Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most overrated book

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

The Da Vinci Code. My 6 year old could write something with more substance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hardly overrated, though? you don't pick up the da vinci code expecting much.

The catcher in the rye was brutal..
    The tattooist of Auschwitz.. just so badly written..
    A man called Ove.. same..

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I just finished A man called Ove this morning. Sweet Jesus ... It was rubbish. Started Say Nothing straight after. The first chapter was more interesting than the whole Ove book !

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

The first book I put down halfway through....Lord of the rings. Absolutely hated it. Still do. A masterpiece by all accounts but not my cup of tea at all. I thought that it was far too padded with needlessly long-winded descriptions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the fellowship of the ring is not for non-fans, he started it without knowing where the book was going. unsurprisingly, probably the book with the most left out when peter jackson made the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

The first book I put down halfway through....Lord of the rings. Absolutely hated it. Still do. A masterpiece by all accounts but not my cup of tea at all. I thought that it was far too padded with needlessly long-winded descriptions.

Tried it three times. Gave up in more or less the same place each time. Just found it so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The alchemist and the book thief

Star of the Sea by Joseph O’Connor. Rambling, disjointed and not very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

The Alchemist.

Complete bollocks that is lapped up by certain types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The Alchemist is a good shout. Unadulterated drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭minnow

One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez.

Ridiculously long drivel about multiple generations of a family.....oh and most of them have the same name.

minnow wrote: »
    Ridiculously long drivel about multiple generations of a family.....oh and most of them have the same name.
    sounds like the perfect irish novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Despite liking all his other works, I did not enjoy Steinbeck’s The Pearl. But then parables are my least favourite types of stories.

I like most of the books mentioned here already. Haven’t read Normal People. I know myself too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭Ardent

hardly overrated, though? you don't pick up the da vinci code expecting much.

Correct, but it sold in absolute droves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

minnow wrote: »
    One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez.

Ah stop.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Anything I've ever read (not by choice, they were gifts) by Cecelia Ahern was waaaaaaay overrated. On the other hand, I did like A man called Ove a lot, it's a lovely little story, but I wouldn't consider it literature in any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I felt the premise of the book A man called Ove was good but it was written like it's audience was 14 year olds. The characters were very black and white and cliched when in reality characters are much more complex . I would have liked if the characters were developed more and it had a bit more substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

Moby Dick is absolutely dreadful.If I wanted to read a textbook about whaling in New England in the 19th century I'd have bought one.I really hated it.

Peig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Peig.

i din’t think many outside the Department of Education were raving about Peig.

The Book Thief was cery underwhelming.

Ditto the Wonder by Emma O Donaghue and The Essex Serpent.

Also nowadays anything by Darina Allen - the convicted pawdophile lover. It’s hard to enjoy a book knowing the profits are funding a family whose hobbies involve supporting the mutilation and rape of babies and children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

i din’t think many outside the Department of Education were raving about Peig.

The Book Thief was cery underwhelming.

Ditto the Wonder by Emma O Donaghue and The Essex Serpent.

Also nowadays anything by Darina Allen - the convicted pawdophile lover. It’s hard to enjoy a book knowing the profits are funding a family whose hobbies involve supporting the mutilation and rape of babies and children.

Do you mean wonder by RJ Palacio, or Room by Emma O'Donoghue?

I think Room is good. Wonder is definitely overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Wonder by Emma O'Donohue. Haven't read anything else of hers, but i thought that one was very ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The Wonder by Emma O'Donohue. Haven't read anything else of hers, but i thought that one was very ordinary.

Not familiar with it. Will put it on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Wow, what a disappointing book, same mumbo jumbo repeated on every page. Very boring and not very engaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I think people are confusing overrated books with books that they just didn't like.

The example given by the OP was one from an acclaimed author, with major PR backing from the publisher and the glowing reviews, blurbs and awards that that "purchases". As a result if it's actually a poor book (I have no idea if Beatlebone is but from the premise I wouldn't be surprised) nobody admits it, for fear of looking out of step with the Zeitgeist. But the readers know, and after initially strong sales based on marketing the book doesn't have the high sustained sales based on word of mouth that a genuinely good book does.

You can't really put Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale in that category as it's been consistently popular for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bodyguard1

The Bible........he dies in the end ! Oh sorry if I ruined it for anyone who hasn't read it yet, but then there is another surprise in the Sequel !

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I think people are confusing overrated books with books that they just didn't like.
    are you saying that the handmaid's tale is an example of a genuinely overrated book, or just one that some people don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

There's a general policy of over rating Irish authors in Ireland. Kevin Barry, Joseph O'Connor, Colum McCann, John Boyne, that lad from Wexford, have all written some terribly self indulgent muck, but not one critic will ever, ever criticise these sacred cows. Which is unfortunate.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas was simply massively overrated.
    Everything by Joseph O'Connor is terrible. Kevin Barry similarly way overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

are you saying that the handmaid's tale is an example of a genuinely overrated book, or just one that some people don't like?

The latter.

Advertisement