Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

RobFowl wrote: »
    Sam is in the right team and progressing at the right pace. He doesn't need to go anywhere...

I think that's my opinion too. I was wondering what others thought though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I don't think we are seening sam at his best due to not been able to train as he wanted coming into the Tour. His young so as long as he can hang in i think he has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I know Sam is undercooked going into the TDF but yesterday's stage not even attempting to Sprint. Come on!!

If he's the team's sprinter he should be attempting to Sprint even for the minor points on both the intermediate and final Sprint.

The team sponsors at least deserve that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I know Sam is undercooked going into the TDF but yesterday's stage not even attempting to Sprint. Come on!!

If he's the team's sprinter he should be attempting to Sprint even for the minor points on both the intermediate and final Sprint.

The team sponsors at least deserve that.
    He was 14 minutes down yesterday - how on earth could he have contested the sprint:confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Dance, monkey, dance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Sprinting for 165th place - would love to see it :-P

Beasty wrote: »
    He was 14 minutes down yesterday - how on earth could he have contested the sprint:confused:

He was 3 minutes 20 seconds (166 place) along with the injured Michael Matthews from the winner of yesterday's stage.

I'd say it's fairly pathetic for a sprinters stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭YeahOK

Jeebus lads, give the kid a chance, it’s his first Grand Tour and his preparation coming into it was less than ideal. I think all things considered he’s doing a sterling job and given some time to settle I think we might see him feature. This is the big time and if he does nothing more than get a feel for what’s really required to be GT sprint stage contender and takes that away to pre for his next GT, then that’s enough.. The Rás this isn’t…….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭wav1

colm18 wrote: »
    Sprinting for 165th place - would love to see it :-P

You can.Every Sunday in the early season A4 races

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

wav1 wrote: »
    You can.Every Sunday in the early season A4 races

lol I was about to post exactly that :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If he can make it all the way to Paris I'd consider his Tour a huge success. Shouldn't judge it til its all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If he can make it all the way to Paris I'd consider his Tour a huge success. Shouldn't judge it til its all over.

He should be able to give it a lash today, relatively sedate pace, gruppo compacto and its an uphill sprint which would be his forte.

Ok then

Let's see how he fairs out today 7.5km to go!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Whatever he does today do not post about it in this thread. Please use the stage specific thread to discuss any current day action

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

I like Sam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

Sam done well today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: No hints at all correct, misleading or only joking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Provisional 10th, that's brilliant!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

turns out darth vader is actually his father.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Ok then

Let's see how he fairs out today 7.5km to go!

Give it a rest unless you've a GT under your belt

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Give it a rest unless you've a GT under your belt

Actually my last post was a neutral comment :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Velonews have an interview with Sam here.

He's taking part in the Arctic Race of Norway (2.HC), which starts today (Thursday). The first two stages should end up with big bunch sprints so Sam might have a chance. Although he is still struggling with his health after the TdF.
    “The antibiotics just zapped me; I just feel really lazy now on the bike, like I’m going out and trying to hold watts and it’s really hard — but once I have to do top-end watts, it’s all there,” Bennett said. “I just can’t go along at 200 watts. So I’m hoping that I’m riding my way into this race. It should be out of my system now going on this week.”

“I hope I can ride relatively comfortable so that I’m not going too deep so I can get a benefit from this race, and so if an opportunity comes around hopefully I can do something. But also it’s cold here; it’s raining and I don’t want to get sick again! I can’t afford that now.”

Eurosport have live coverage for all four stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Just goes to show how much a Grand Tour can take out of you...especially your first

Guess its like a Derby winner trying to ride the Grand National

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Just goes to show how much a Grand Tour can take out of you...especially your first

Guess its like a Derby winner trying to ride the Grand National

Anorak alert - the Derby and the National are two different sports, the winner of one cannot do the other. At all.

Re Sam, GT's are seriously tough at your full strength with experience, your first one sick has to be tortuous. Fair play to him for getting as far as he did. Hopefully Norway will go well and his end season goes as well as his start.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gadetra wrote: »
    Anorak alert - the Derby and the National are two different sports, the winner of one cannot do the other. At all.

Re Sam, GT's are seriously tough at your full strength with experience, your first one sick has to be tortuous. Fair play to him for getting as far as he did. Hopefully Norway will go well and his end season goes as well as his start.

arent they both horse races?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

godtabh wrote: »
    arent they both horse races?

They are but are as far apart as a GT and a World Cup Downhill race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Esroh wrote: »
    They are but are as far apart as a GT and a World Cup Downhill race.

I suppose Cadel Evans would be the closest? at least that I know off

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Further apart again. Derby winner is a pure sprinter (well not actually, it's a long race by flat standards), a track sprinter say, a Pervis or Hoy, Kilo men or those with a bit of endurance in their sprint. National winner a pure out and out endurance horse, not massively fast (although a much better quality of horse has entered in the last few years due to animal rights groups protesting - which has conversely made the race even more dangerous :rolleyes:) so a kind of RAAM rider, like Christoph Strasser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Good result today, 3rd in an uphill sprint behind Kristoff and Boassen Hagen
    Capture.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Yes, you were a minute faster than I was.
    nice job for the guy.

Advertisement