Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connemara history

• 17-08-2012 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I would like to know more of Connemaras history. Already I have some books about the region:

• The Natural History of Connemara
    • A Guide To Connemaras Early Christian Sites
    • Connemara After The Famine
    • Humanity Dick Martin "King of Connemara" 1754-1834
    • Connemara Visions of Iar Chonnacht
    • The three Connemara books by Tim Robinson

Now that I list them out that's quite a few.

Are there any other notable and worthwhile books on the history of the Connemara region, in particular the history of it's people through any age from the earliest settlers to the present time. Also involvement in the Civil war, war of Independence and related material.

Does anyone know if Michael Gibbons has written any other books regarding Connemara besides his contribution in the form of "Connemara Visions of Iar Chonnacht", as he is incredibly well versed on Connemara as well as being tremendously entertaining.

I look forward to your replies.

(I have not had the chance to properly search the forum, I will do so later)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Re Connemara books

An t-Iomaire Rua ( Cogadh na Saoirse i dTuaisceart Chonamara - leis An tOllamh Tomás ó'Máille - An Gúm Eagrán 2007

Very good account of W of I there, especially of the battle at Muintir Eoghan.

I have some other books on that area as I have many connections there and live in Mayo - however what I am pleased to call my library is somewhat scattered at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Thanks nuac, I am guessing the above is in Irish? Unfortunately I didn't keep up with what was bet into me at school :o

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

The oldest sign of Humans in Co.Galway is at a Beach in Connemara called Tully Beach I believe. 7,000 year old maiden.

Yes, CM An tIomaire Rua is in Irish, but there are many quotations and excerpts in it from e.g newspapers in English

Meanwhile quick check of my "library" showed the folloing

Ranji, Maharajah of Connemara by Anne Chambers Wolfhound Press 2002.

Fascinating story of an Indian prince who bought Ballynahinch Castle about 1924, staffed it fully even for times he was back in India, and practically started a one man boom in Connemara. He was also a world class cricketer and was highly popular in the area - not just for his spending

The Road to Roaring Water - A walk down the West of Ireland Chtistopher Somerville - Harper Collins 1991

This describes a number of walks including one starting in God's own town ( Westport ) down thru to Connemara to Rossaveale, Aran Islands, and into Galway

The two main books on the 1845-7 famine - Cecil Woodham Smiths and Christine Kenealy's both have a lot of detail and reference to the famine and it's impact on COnnemae -

Humanity Dick Martins summer lodge is now Creggans Castle Hotel Ballyvaughan. They may have some thing there on his Connemara property and exploits.

You could also try Kennys and Charlie Byrnes Galway, McLoughlins and Duffys Westport, and Galway County Library.

the late surgeon Conor O'Malley - a relative of Tomas O'Máille of an t-Iomaire Rua wrote an autobiography starting with growing up as part of a large family in Kilmilkin Maam Valley, with descriptions of local conditions etc . Might be available in one of the above bookshops

Enjoy

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    The oldest sign of Humans in Co.Galway is at a Beach in Connemara called Tully Beach I believe. 7,000 year old maiden.

I think I've been to that midden :)
    nuac wrote: »
    Ranji, Maharajah of Connemara by Anne Chambers Wolfhound Press 2002.

My grandmother worked for him. There was a story about her finding lost expensive jewellery and handing it back, not so much as a thank you. I think she headed for the States not long afterwards.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will check them out!

Did I hear Charlie Byrnes closed or was that a nasty rumour, it's a great book shop, I haven't been in that part of town for a fair while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Another to look at: Maamtrasna: The Murders and the Mystery by Jarlath Waldron.

Oh yes, I believe there was something on TV about that a couple of years ago. It may have been part of a series on murders. Not sure if Cathal O'Shannon had something to do with it or not.

Edit: Maybe it was on TG4.

Yes, a great book. These murders and subsequent trials still talked about in that area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

There is a small story about the Maharajah, while he was in Ballynahinch.

He was new to sea trout fishing in Connemara, and was brought out on the lough by the Castle's finest old ghillie.
    After several uneventful hours, he hooked what looked to be a magnificent fish.

"Give him some line there now, your excellency, let him run." - said the ghillie.
    "Grand job your excellency, give him a bit of shtick now, hold the rod up high, that's it, you'll have him soon."

The ghillie was just about ready to net the magnificent fish, when the Maharajah lowered the rod.

"Hauld up the rod, your excellency, we nearly have him bet, hauld it up."

Before the Maharajah could raise the rod, the hook hold failed, and the silvery sides of the fish seemed to melt away into the dark peaty water.
    There was a stunned silence as the last ripples died away.

"Yah black bastard, didn't I tell yah to keep the rod up?"

Very old fishing story, SB. Told of many eminent fishermen. It;s in Anne Chamber's book on Ranji regarding him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

nuac wrote: »
    Very old fishing story, SB. Told of many eminent fishermen. It;s in Anne Chamber's book on Ranji regarding him
    Old stories are like fine wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

I would like to know more of Connemaras history. Already I have some books about the region:

• The Natural History of Connemara
    • A Guide To Connemaras Early Christian Sites
    • Connemara After The Famine
    • Humanity Dick Martin "King of Connemara" 1754-1834
    • Connemara Visions of Iar Chonnacht
    • The three Connemara books by Tim Robinson
    Now that I list them out that's quite a few.

Are there any other notable and worthwhile books on the history of the Connemara region, in particular the history of it's people through any age from the earliest settlers to the present time. Also involvement in the Civil war, war of Independence and related material.

Does anyone know if Michael Gibbons has written any other books regarding Connemara besides his contribution in the form of "Connemara Visions of Iar Chonnacht", as he is incredibly well versed on Connemara as well as being tremendously entertaining.

I look forward to your replies.

(I have not had the chance to properly search the forum, I will do so later)

Try the following
    Miriam Moffitt: Soupers and Jumpers (About the Irish Church Missions)
    Anything by Kathleen Villiers-Tuthill. She's an excellent local historian based out of Clifden.
    Colm Ó Gaora's memoir Mise, now translated to English under the title On the Run.
    The Bureau of Military History Witness Statements are available online and include a number of West Connemara statements and one from the East Connemara Brigade.

Finally Mercier Press are in the process of transcribing and publishng the O'Malley notebooks interviews, the Kerry interviews have been done and a number of other counties are in the pipeline, Galway included. These were interviews conducted mostly, but not exclusively with IRA veterans, several decades after the War of Independence/ Civil War. Three interviews were conducted with Connemara or Connemara based men. The Galway book is due out next year under the title "The Men will Talk to Me: The Galway Interviews"

Try the following
    Miriam Moffitt: Soupers and Jumpers (About the Irish Church Missions)
    Anything by Kathleen Villiers-Tuthill. She's an excellent local historian based out of Clifden.
    Colm Ó Gaora's memoir Mise, now translated to English under the title On the Run.
    The Bureau of Military History Witness Statements are available online and include a number of West Connemara statements and one from the East Connemara Brigade.

Finally Mercier Press are in the process of transcribing and publishng the O'Malley notebooks interviews, the Kerry interviews have been done and a number of other counties are in the pipeline, Galway included. These were interviews conducted mostly, but not exclusively with IRA veterans, several decades after the War of Independence/ Civil War. Three interviews were conducted with Connemara or Connemara based men. The Galway book is due out next year under the title "The Men will Talk to Me: The Galway Interviews"

Yes those are all good sources

I presume the O'Malley notebooks are those being edited or compiled by Ernie's son Cormac. They would be worth reading.

I forgot to mention the Bureau of Military History. Great achievement to gt all these online. I have recently looked thru the Mayo section in particular Michael Kilroy's statement. I recall some of those involved calling to our house years ago as my grandfather had been "involved". Generally they were modest men, not inclined to talk about their exploits.

Going back to 19th Century there were various government commissions and reports into subjects such as fisheries, famine relief etc all of which make interesting reading.

It appears as if I won't be short of something to read this Winter :) Thanks for all of the replies, if there are more out there then please feel free to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 marieabennett

Here here. Great stuff by KVT. If you actually e-mail her or any of the other Writers they will also maybe advise. Its the really wonderful thing about Historians in this country, they will almost always reply to queries and help. We really are blessed. The Guys have given a wonderful list above, I'm afraid I can't add to further...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Conmaicne Mara - or Connemara in western Co. Galway. O'Queally (or O'Kealy) is cited as a chief in Conmaicne Mara prior to the arrival of the O'Flahertys in the 13th century.

The Annals cite:
    For 663, Baetan Mac Ua Cormaic, Abbot of Cluain Mic Nois, died. He was of the sept of Conmaicne Mara.
    For 923, Tomrar, mac Tomralt, was slain by the Conmaicnibh Mara.
    For 1139, Aedh h-Úa Cadhla, rí Conmaicne Mara, was slain by Donnchadh mac Taidhg.
    http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlkik/ihm/connacht.htm#mar

From Woulfe (1923)
    Ó CADHLA—I—O Keyle, O Kealy, O Quealy, Kiely, Keily, Kealy, Keely, Keeley, (Kelly), Quealy, &c.; 'descendant of Cadhla' (beautiful, comely, graceful); the name (1) of a Connacht family who were formerly chiefs of Connemara; and (2) of a Thomond family who were chiefs of Tuath Luimnigh in the neighbourhood of the city of Limerick. Both families are still numerously represented in Connacht and Munster. To be distinguished from Ó Caollaidhe, which see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Letters from the Irish Highlands - 1825.
    A complete descriptive travel through Connemara from that period.
    I would imagine a must for your interest.
    Not Googleable as it spells it as "Cunnemarra"

https://archive.org/details/lettersfromirish00lond

Re Connemara books

Kathleen Villiers-Stewart has a very good book out on Nimmo's work on Connemara roads and piers.

A lot of interesting stuff in it on history of the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Alexander Nimmo was a fascinating character and a book on him was long overdue. (It's on my list to read.) After his 'firing' from the West job AFAIK his last work in Ireland was the Dublin-Dunleary railwayline and another that vies with it is the layout he designed for the village of Knightstown on Valentia.
    Interesting article on the Bogs Commissioners here

Advertisement