Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish comic shops, online comic shops and other resources

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

darapixie wrote: »
    A new comic shop just opened in Maynooth. Literally THOUSANDS of comics in the shop and very respectable prices. Not too many graphic novels but they say they're still adding to the stock and new comics are available by request. They are wiling to take trade-ins which is handy.

It can be a bit tricky to find too (up the stairs and around the corner just off the Main Street in Maynooth) but they're friendly and have a seemingly endless collection of back issues. Definitely worth taking a look!

Just a few questions about this one. What is the exact location in Maynooth? What is ot called? And so you know what kind of pricing there is for back issues? Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 booladen

SueBoom wrote: »

Just a few questions about this one. What is the exact location in Maynooth? What is ot called? And so you know what kind of pricing there is for back issues? Cheers. :)

First floor main street house, maynooth.
    Beside the roost pub. Its called hidden treasure. Got that from the website. 2.30ish an issue as far as I can see. Ht-comics.com check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

What are the main comic shops in Dublin these days?

I know Forbidden Planet, Dublin City Comics, Big Bang and Sub-City but is The Third place gone?

does anyone know the history of Comic shops in Dublin?
    I remember the older places like The Alchemists Head in both locations, The Twilight Zone and Fantasia but what were the other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Scifi.ie

Skerries wrote: »
    What are the main comic shops in Dublin these days?

I know Forbidden Planet, Dublin City Comics, Big Bang and Sub-City but is The Third place gone?

The Third Place is sort-of-gone. John Hendrick, who ran The Third Place, later opened The Big Bang in Dundrum.

As for other comic book shops, I don't know of anywhere else in Dublin that gets in weekly new US comics, but for some reason the WaxWorks gift shop has a huge number of back-issue floppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toallthose

Hi, I'm going to Belfast Next Monday. I know F Planet is, but does anyone know any other comic shops? Even second hand books shops that do comic's/trades? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 booladen

Hi can you add http://www.comicvault.ie

please. Its a brand new online comic shop here in Ireland

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

archive of gold age, out of copyright comics.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Sub City is on the Move This Weekend
    New Location 62 Dame Street Dublin,
    Should be worth looking in on the new
    Bigger & Better Place.

Subcity.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aimeeabsinthe

I'm hoping to move down to Limerick next month. Is the comic store there still open? What's it like for new titles? I'm hoping to get into buying more frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 darapixie

Nope, that one is long closed AFAIK. Subcity in Galway for bricks and mortar shop or Hidden Treasure Comics in Maynooth and soon Dublin I hear do Standard/Advance Orders through the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

The Big Bang Do Great delivery to outside Dublin.
    I use them to send books to the Nephew in Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I've been trying to get into reading comics/graphic novels etc. I tend to go in cycles of interest, and the interest is there at the moment. While I have some stuff lieing around at home to get through, looking into maybe capitalising on the 52 reboot thing that happened few years back for DC.

Have tried having a flick through the Irish stores, but can only really find forbidden planet with an online presence. City centre bit out of the way and dont want to make the trip without some info on pricing etc.

Typically I'm a heavy Amazon user, but like to buy locally when I can

Anyone have an idea of pricing. I'm specifically looking at Justice League Volume 1 and Batman: The Dark Knight Volume 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've been trying to get into reading comics/graphic novels etc. I tend to go in cycles of interest, and the interest is there at the moment. While I have some stuff lieing around at home to get through, looking into maybe capitalising on the 52 reboot thing that happened few years back for DC.

Have tried having a flick through the Irish stores, but can only really find forbidden planet with an online presence. City centre bit out of the way and dont want to make the trip without some info on pricing etc.

Typically I'm a heavy Amazon user, but like to buy locally when I can

Anyone have an idea of pricing. I'm specifically looking at Justice League Volume 1 and Batman: The Dark Knight Volume 1.
    I would suggest ringing the shops directly, Or ask them on Facebook. I find they are usually very prompt in coming back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

In general if you email, tweet, facebook or ring Big Bang Comics, they'll give you pricing and tell you how to go about ordering from them by post. They do US$ prices. I'd say both those books are around €20 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In general if you email, tweet, facebook or ring Big Bang Comics, they'll give you pricing and tell you how to go about ordering from them by post. They do US$ prices. I'd say both those books are around €20 each.

cheers, their prices were actually the same as easons.

I ended up going digital anyway as Google Books had them for €10. Actually ended up buying a lot of stuff, and have the chance to read them digitally on my TV at the weekend.

Pretty glorious way to read them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Dinosaurbones

Hi guys

Anyone know if Vibes and Scribes in cork still has a collection of comics? i went in there a few years back and got some great comics and will be in cork soon so just wondering if they still have a comic section?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Lorna99

Hey, Does anyone know if there are any comic shops in Co. Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Legionn_of_Dan

I was in Sub City in Galway Last week. Small place but seriously sound staff. I've been going there on and off for years and I have to say its a great little place. Prices are reasonable but nothing too different from other shops. I shudder to think how much I have spent there over the last 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 buzzardcomics

Hi guys been meaning to post here for a while.

My shop Buzzard Comics is just across the border in Newry been open nearly two years now.
    New comics every week, we also carry a small variety of other stock as well (Graphic Novels, Pops, Marvel Select, Posters, YuGiOh cards, Keyrings and more)

If you're in the area keep us in mind :)

facebook.com/BuzzardComics

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Just found out about a new comic shop in Drogheda. Called earth prime. Very small but handy enough for you live in the area. I was able to sell them some old books at a good rate too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,683 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Burky126 wrote: »
    Brand New Irish comic site dedicated to the Irish comic scene.

http://www.irishcomicnews.com/

Regular contributors include Tommie Kelly, (DOWN/ROAD CREW), Gar Shanley (Windell Superhero Showcase), Patrick Brown (The Cattle Raid Of Cooley)
    Hilary Lawler (Superhilbo!) and David O' Leary

Featuring interviews,forums and Event guides.

Just FYI, the site is now @ https://irishcomicnews.dreamhosters.com/

Social:
    https://twitter.com/IrishComicNews
    https://www.facebook.com/irishcomicnews

Myself and David Ferguson (Editor-in-Chief/current boss man of the site) would be the only regular contributors currently.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Sadly earth prime in Drogheda closed last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Firblog

New place in Letterkenny, Endgame Comics on the square, https://endgame-comics.com/

The place mentioned in the sticky is gone AFIK

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SpencerCastillo

Is there any app to help with reading comics, novels and books. because I don't want to go to the bookstore.

Advertisement