Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda procedure with speeding fines

Comments

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It will be statute barred if they don't get a move on.

Not if the summons has already been applied for. Freeflow offences are only coming up now from last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eamo_

can points be givin to northern liscened drivers driving a sorthern regestered car

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

eamo_ wrote: »
    can points be givin to northern liscened drivers driving a sorthern regestered car

Driven where?

in the south shoule emphise it was a fair cop was doing 100 kph in a 80 not trying to get out of the fine just hoping the points wont come

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

eamo_ wrote: »
    in the south

Not yet AFAIK. That will be changing soon though. I'm sure a member of AGS will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

thanks for the quick reply psni

Read here for more information.

"If someone is driving in Ireland on a foreign licence, the driver's details are held on a separate database for the purpose of recording penalty points. If that driver applies for and obtains an Irish driving licence, the penalty points are then activated on that licence."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 walwa

I am a foreigner been resided in Ireland for 10 years. Recently I got caught for making an illegal left turn on the way to work, my excuse was I followed some other cars to make a turn, that morning there were other few cars got caught as well. I don't deny that offense and will accept the fine and 1 penalty point.

My question here is:

If I don't receive a letter about fine and penalty point, does it mean the record is not in the system database.

The reason I am making this query is because I am about to apply for Irish Citizenship Naturalisation, and there is a field in the application form
    HAVE YOU EVER COMMITTED ANY OFFENCES AGAINST THE LAWS OF IRELAND OR ANY OVERSEAS COUNTRY?
    I am not sure if I need to answer “Yes” since I haven't received any formal letter yet, i don't intend to lie, but as a normal person, this is a natural psychological reaction. I am quite upset with the offense I've made, and really wish I have a luck to get rid of that bad record. I have been doing good for years, and now this offense may lead to a rejection of the citizenship application according this report even this is the only offense I have made.

So should I fill "Yes" in that field even I haven't received the formal letter? Thx!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Good show on rte radio one this evening, plenty of legal advice being sought and dished out. Similar story to your own bar the guy had a load of parking violations and believes this may have gone against his failed application.

Their best advice was to be honest in your application, possibly seek advice from emigrants council or an emigration lawyer. Your application works on a points scale and failure to disclose will cost you more points. One penalty point shouldnt make any difference as they are judging your character not your driving skill or ability. It doesnt equate to a criminal conviction in any event but honesty is the best policy.

http://www.emigrantadvice.ie/coming_to_ireland.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Just on this.....any illegal advice will result in an instant infraction and ban.

One user has suffered this......let it be the last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 walwa

wexfjord wrote: »
    Good show on rte radio one this evening, plenty of legal advice being sought and dished out. Similar story to your own bar the guy had a load of parking violations and believes this may have gone against his failed application.

Their best advice was to be honest in your application, possibly seek advice from emigrants council or an emigration lawyer. Your application works on a points scale and failure to disclose will cost you more points. One penalty point shouldnt make any difference as they are judging your character not your driving skill or ability. It doesnt equate to a criminal conviction in any event but honesty is the best policy.

http://www.emigrantadvice.ie/coming_to_ireland.htm

Thanks wexfjord for the information and advice. I will enquiry lawyer about this.
    Just on this.....any illegal advice will result in an instant infraction and ban.

One user has suffered this......let it be the last.

Wow, sounds scary!!!! However the comment is not welcome here,it makes me feel like I am trying to do a bad thing. I wasn't looking for any illegal advice, just wanted to know the formal process, such as if your salary hasn't been transferred to you account, could you say you have received money?

walwa wrote: »
    Wow, sounds scary!!!! However the comment is not welcome here. I am not looking for any illegal advice, if it was, you would never have a chance to read it(I wouldn't publish it)。

Nor is that comment welcome, infracted for questioning a mod in open forum.

My post refered to a deleted post in which the poster offered illegal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tracy3135

*snip*

So that explains your attitude! You are a traffic monkey eh?

So you don't think you alienate members of the public by persecuting them every day to line the coffers of the government, mmmmm, pot kettle me thinks

tracy3135 wrote: »
    So that explains your attitude! You are a traffic monkey eh?

So you don't think you alienate members of the public by persecuting them every day to line the coffers of the government, mmmmm, pot kettle me thinks

Have a months holidays to think about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

hi guys im wondering could you help me me and my friend who was driving was driving back from co. tip back to dublin and we were on m50 and was pulled over by road corp. saying that he was driving in a 60 km area and he was driving 72 km but he wasnt but no worries there he was told that he was being fined so how long will it take for the notice to come to him that he has to pay the €80 fine? does he have to wait for the letter or can he go up to garda office and pay the fine or is it a post office job ?
    whats the procedure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

vladcount wrote: »
    does he have to wait for the letter or can he go up to garda office and pay the fine or is it a post office job ?
    whats the procedure

Why not just wait for the fine and then read the instructions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Eru for Kofi Annan's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 willcork12

is a garda legally required to tell a person they are being fined for a traffic offence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭mikeecho

willcork12 wrote: »
    is a garda legally required to tell a person they are being fined for a traffic offence

No legal requirement, otherwise they would have to jump out of the speed van, Chase u down, and tell you that a ticket is on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

If a Garda was standing on motorway (120kmph) witht the camera and you were doing between 130-135, is it 100% that you will get the fine and points or is it at their discretion?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

DE1991 wrote: »
    If a Garda was standing on motorway (120kmph) witht the camera and you were doing between 130-135, is it 100% that you will get the fine and points or is it at their discretion?

Thanks in advance

It's Gosafe or Gatso vans that send fine and points in the post.

The guard would have followed and stopped you there and then.
    He would really only be looking for the guy doing 150+
    Which motorway was he on?

D Trent wrote: »
    It's Gosafe or Gatso vans that send fine and points in the post.

The guard would have followed and stopped you there and then.
    He would really only be looking for the guy doing 150+
    Which motorway was he on?

Oh grand thats alright so is that gospel or just more than likely?
    On m7 from tipp to dublin tucked in under a bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

DE1991 wrote: »
    Oh grand thats alright so is that gospel or just more than likely?
    On m7 from tipp to dublin tucked in under a bridge

No you are safe, they would follow you and pull you in, and if you contested your speed he'd show you your speed on the gun.
    Were you headed for the open day ? :)

D Trent wrote: »
    No you are safe, they would follow you and pull you in, and if you contested your speed he'd show you your speed on the gun.
    Were you headed for the open day ? :)

Ah very good!
    I might have been on the way home from it ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,978 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Hi hope it's OK to post here: I was caught driving while on the phone over the Xmas period. The Gard said I'd have 90 days to pay the ensuing fine, or else it ramps up, both in terms of points and size of fine. Fair enough.

However nothing has apparently arrived at my folks' place (address I still use on my Irish license).

Is there anyone I can contact to see what the story is? I've heard of a fair few people who have been called to appear in court because they didn't pay an on-the-spot fine that they genuinely never received. I live on the other side of the planet, so a court appearance would be most inconvenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Apologies for bringing up old thread but seemed best place to post it.

Recently got pulled over on m50; was travelling at 112kmph. As I’ve been doing for 10+ years on it and never been clocked by cameras or pulled over. Anyway guard was saying he was doing 120kmph so I must have been doing 130kmph to catch up with him.

Got told I’d be getting FCPS. Is this legal seeing as there is no evidence? I explained how speedometers are not accurate and still within 10% margin and also unlikely my actual speed was over 100kmph. Seems very unfair and I’ve never had any driving convictions in 15 years and drive a modest 1l car. The risks of challenging in court compared to the FCPS aren’t worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Was he on his own in the car? According to S81(5) evidence of speed needs to be corroborated by a second person in such an scenario.

Personally, from what you have said, I doubt you are getting a ticket, unless your attitude was particularly bad on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

BaronVon wrote: »
    Was he on his own in the car? According to S81(5) evidence of speed needs to be corroborated by a second person in such an scenario.

Like explaining the speedometer showed 112
    Personally, from what you have said, I doubt you are getting a ticket, unless your attitude was particularly bad on the day.

Like arguing if you adjust for 10%+1 it's barely over the limit.. And also the garda wasn't wearing a hat

There was one other Garda in the car, they remained in it while he was talking to me. My attitude was fine so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Got a fixed charge offence in the post today. Not for speeding but for "overtaking on the left". Shocked at this because the guard agreed with me at the time that time that this did not occur (and was not raised by him but by me).

To put this into context - car in middle lane of m50 doing c. 80kmph (but overtaking). Car in front of me and myself were travelling at c. 90/95kmph in the far right lane and overtook the car. I waited c. 10 seconds for the car in front to move into the middle lane (as no longer overtaking). I proceeded to move into middle lane as there were cars coming from behind. Very gradually I "overtook" the car in the right lane. As far as I can see, I was not the vehicle that did not follow the rules of road.

Shocked and annoyed at this, especially as the guard agreed with me that I did not commit any offence by doing this. Anyone have any thoughts? I haven't examined the legislation yet but will do so over the weekend.

Advertisement